Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 4th January 2018, 06:16 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Erosion of Rights in Australia

Quote:
The Institute of Public Affairs has done well to highlight the way new laws have been eroding the basic rights of Australians over the past 12 months.
The organisation's annual survey of laws passed this year, on which we reported this week, details 19 new infringements during 2017. Added to previous years' examples, this steady erosion has allowed, on the institute's calculation, 324 instances where federal laws breach basic rights and freedoms.
http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the...0171228-h0b0fz

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 4th January 2018, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Erosion of Rights in Australia

Quote:
Crucially, the ALRC report shelved by the government two years ago found there was almost no cause for concern when it comes to freedom of religion in Australia. There were "very few, if any" federal laws that interfered with religious freedom, the review found including anti-discrimination laws.
That is significant because the Turnbull government last month asked Howard-era attorney-general Philip Ruddock to again examine whether Australian laws adequately protect religious freedom at a cost of $1 million.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...25-h0a2xp.html

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Thank yowie thanked this post
Old 4th January 2018, 06:26 AM

So there is an article in The Age (my 1st post) pointing to an article that "we reported last week", but that is in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Both articles are light on substance. The first suggests George Brandis addressing 18C on hate speech was doing a reasonable thing badly. I think I disagree.

And a Bill of Rights could entrench rights the wrong way, even though those rights are important? Codifying and evaluating is a bad thing?

A discussion could be fruitful.

Last edited by DanDare; 4th January 2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 4th January 2018, 09:21 AM
AFA Member

I won't trust any government with our rights that persists in praying to fairies in parliament, making religions tax-free, or sheltering kiddy-fuckers in the name of religious freedom and privilege.

The very idea that the confessional and other crazy shit can trump secular law is absurd, but I fear that all this behind the scenes discussion is going to enshrine such privilege as religious rights which the government will simply announce. And I would not rule out blasphemy laws either. Fucking turds.

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 4th January 2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 4th January 2018, 11:56 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
The very idea that the confessional and other crazy shit can trump secular law is absurd, but I fear that all this behind the scenes discussion is going to enshrine such privilege as religious rights which the government will simply announce. And I would not rule out blasphemy laws either. Fucking turds.

I am quite happy for them to keep their pathetic little secrets, just as long as it's understood that keeping criminal activity secret is a criminal offence and that confessional isn't protected from the law. You see lots of people keep secrets, the governments keeps secrets, I keep secrets, criminals keep secrets, but if they happen to be secrets about crimes then the criminal and the ones keeping the secrets will be prosecuted. So keep your secrets, just don't be surprised if you end up in prison for keeping them.

So they already have all the freedom they need to keep secrets, we just need remove the exemptions from criminal code for when they commit crimes.