Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Ethics and Justice

Ethics and Justice Ethics, morality, and justice in society

Old 6th November 2017, 11:22 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: QLD: Joh was a real piece of work

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Iím reluctant to ascribe evil to historical characters, it generally requires some decent in-depth historical research of context, time and place and a whole shit loads of nuance and psychological empathy but, jo was evil.
And wildly popular for a very long time. His political love child is still going strong
Old 7th November 2017, 11:09 AM
What Me Deluded?

Joh's narcissism and self delusion matches that of Trump.

A collaborator was Rupert Murdoch, co-conspirator in the dismissal of Gough Whitlam. Murdoch strongly supported Joh's push for federal politics with the 'Joh For PM' campaign. Murdoch was a mate of Sir John Kerr.

I am actually reading 'the Truth of the Matter,' 1979, Gough's powerful account of those scandalous events of 1975, set down in response to Kerr's propaganda apologetic serialised in the metropolitan dailies. The last chapter makes the authoritative case for Republicanism.

Joh's mentality was the very antithesis of the noble person of Gough Whitlam. Sir Joh was a populist opportunist peanut, an autocrat, 'too good for the Nationals,' Queensland and Australia, and likened to Mao Zedong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joh_for_Canberra
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 27th December 2017, 09:34 PM
I Walk With Dog

John Birmingham write-up on the late Flo and her husband.

Quote:
All those ratfucks understood was strength and fear and the simple joy of driving their enemies before them. There was no schadenfreude in seeing Bjelke-Petersen humiliated before the Fitzgerald Inquiry when he was unable to explain what was meant by the doctrine of the separation of powers, because all it did was hammer home the truth that we'd been comprehensively arse-raped by a man with the ethics of a starving sewer rat, and the political instincts of a sabre-toothed baboon with a really scorching methamphetamine addiction.
Read the end bit about the pumpkin scones and the miners.

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky, the majority believe you.
Tell people the paint is wet, they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Like two dogs, loubert liked this post
Thank Strato, loubert thanked this post
Old 28th December 2017, 12:16 AM
What Me Deluded?

That scumbag was instrumental in bringing Gough down.

Petersen, I mean.
Old 28th December 2017, 03:19 PM

Back when JBP was Premier of Queensland my cousin fell in with a bad crowd on the Gold Coast.

While mugging a Japanese tourist he managed to accidentally stab him in the neck while trying to cut the straps on his backpack. Fortunately the tourist survived, but it was obviously a nasty situation.

Following an extended period of violent beating the police charged my cousin with attempted murder. The police involved apparently treated my aunt and uncle with utter contempt.

My uncle was in the carpet business and one of his clients/friends owned a few "high class" houses of ill repute on the Gold Coast, and my uncle would provide him with very lush red carpet for his premises at a reasonable price. He called my uncle in to do a measure and quote at one of his establishments and my uncle got to telling his friend about how worried he was about his son and the likelihood that he would go to prison for a very long time.

The business owner said "I'm good friends with the head cop at that station, maybe we can have a word to him" and they drove to the police station together.

The head cop said to my uncle's friend "you should have come to see me earlier, I would have dropped the charges". As it was the best that he could do was to downgrade the charges as far as possible and get the prosecution to recommend a short, non-custodial sentence. Which is exactly what happened.
".....If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius (claimed)
Like SEG liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato, wadaye thanked this post
Old 1st January 2018, 07:45 AM
I Walk With Dog

And, just released: Joh and the Wooing of Fellow Dictator, Nicolae Ceaușescu

Quote:
NEW details of a proposed partnership between Queensland and one of the Eastern Bloc's most notorious Communist tyrants, Nicolae Ceausescu, have emerged with the release of 1987 State Cabinet documents.

For the first time, former Queensland Premier Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen's own account of the bizarre 1987 trip to Romania to team up with the paranoid despot in an ambitious "Coal for the Communists'' venture has been released for public viewing.

On Christmas Day two years later, the Romanian dictator who ran one of the globe's most oppressive, secretive and violent regimes was executed by a firing squad staffed by his own people.

The proposed Romanian partnership is just one of a series of revelations contained in Cabinet documents which become public today, giving detailed, behind-the-scenes insights into the dying days of the Bjelke-Petersen Government.

In a state crippled by 11 per cent unemployment, increasingly outlandish schemes are mooted including "the world's tallest building'' to be built in downtown Brisbane.

The infamous redevelopment of the Port Office site was discussed by Cabinet ministers who seemed to be wondering where all the "brown paper bag'' money was coming from, while up north a space port to rival Cape Kennedy in the US was proposed for our own Cape York.

All the while, an increasingly absent Sir Joh, who devoted the first part of the year to the doomed "Joh for Canberra'' push, was seen to be losing control of a Government increasingly dominated by deputy Premier Bill Gunn as the spectre of the Fitzgerald Inquiry loomed over Cabinet.
All this and more in the Toontown Crumble.

Old 1st January 2018, 09:56 AM
I Walk With Dog

ABC Linky - more detail on the corruption of Joh's last days.

The bind moggles.

Old 4th January 2018, 08:59 PM
I Walk With Dog

A headline to suit either persuasion.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (172.7 KB, 18 views)

Old 4th January 2018, 11:34 PM
What Me Deluded?

Joe Stalin got a State funeral. Many seem to. Trump will. How does that work?
Old 4th January 2018, 11:43 PM
I Walk With Dog

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Joe Stalin got a State funeral. Many seem to. Trump will. How does that work?
Sometimes it's gratitude; sometimes it's a deep need to know the deceased is really buried.

Like 142857 liked this post
Thank wadaye thanked this post
Laugh at Strato laughed at this post