Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Environment and Conservation

Environment and Conservation Issues facing the natural world

Old 8th September 2017, 08:26 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: Environmental News

'Extinct' wallaby species back from the dead in central Queensland

Quote:
It was once known as the flashjack or waistcoat wallaby and its soft fur was so popular, 'roo shooters essentially wiped it out in Queensland by 1929.
Indigenous Australians called it "Merrin", but as colonialists brought their dogs and cats, cleared bushland, and foxes and dingos attacked in more open country, its numbers dwindled.

Wildlife Queensland declared the bridled nailtail wallaby extinct in Queensland in 1956, but a fencing contractor in central Queensland found a small population on a property near Dingo in 1973.
"This was confirmed by researchers from the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service and the property eventually became Taunton National Park," the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection said.
"Current population estimates for the Taunton National Park, including neighbouring properties, are approximately 200 wallabies."
Now, a population of 223 is well established in central Queensland.
The bridled nailtail is one of three species of nailtail wallabies on the east coast of Australia. The small wallaby is now classed as a "threatened" species.
One of the three species, the crescent nailtail wallaby, is already extinct.
Bridled nailtail wallabies can be recognised from the white “bridal” banding, which is a feature of the wallaby’s face cheeks, its back and its shoulders.
A brown stripe begins on its forehead and runs down its back.
Like all nailtailed wallabies, it has a bony “spur” at the tip of its tail, which has fauna biologists a little perplexed.
Some see it as helping it remain stable as it jumps at high speeds.
At Taunton National Park, the bridled nailtail wallabies are being protected in a 130,000-hectare reserve.
Queensland Environment Minister Steven Miles said those 223 wallabies included a second population of about 100 of the rare wallabies being preserved at Avocet Nature Reserve near Emerald.
Overall, the numbers of bridled nailtail wallabies have almost doubled in five years.
“Here, at Avocet Nature Reserve, there is a stable population of around 100 wallabies, and with continued predator control, the numbers are expected to increase,” Dr Miles said on Thursday.
Tom Coughlin is the operations manager of the Fitzroy Basin Association, one of the partner organisations helping to preserve the rare wallabies in central Queensland.
“Central Queensland is extraordinarily lucky to host the only wild population of this species in the world and so protecting it, is of the greatest importance,” he said.
“This species has, quite literally, been saved from beyond the brink of extinction.”
It's almost like habitat protection.........

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like Blue Lightning, SEG liked this post
Old 30th October 2017, 09:29 PM
AFA Member

How come we don't have a dedicated climate change thread, or do we?

Anyhow, more bad news from the bbc

Quote:
Record surge in atmospheric CO2 seen in 2016

Concentrations of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere surged to a record high in 2016, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
Last year's increase was 50% higher than the average of the past 10 years.
Researchers say a combination of human activities and the El Niño weather phenomenon drove CO2 to a level not seen in 800,000 years.

Scientists say this risks making global temperature targets largely unattainable.
This year's greenhouse gas bulletin produced by the WMO, is based on measurements taken in 51 countries. Research stations dotted around the globe measure concentrations of warming gases including carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide.

The figures published by the WMO are what's left in the atmosphere after significant amounts are absorbed by the Earth's "sinks", which include the oceans and the biosphere.
2016 saw average concentrations of CO2 hit 403.3 parts per million, up from 400ppm in 2015.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41778089

More at source. Grim reading
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:28 PM
AFA Member

Well, that all worked out well in the end then right?

Quote:
HOW could a mere jellyfish disable China’s largest and most fearsome warship?

By being turned into sticky mush.
Quote:
Masses of the creatures can be sucked through the warship’s water intakes necessary for cooling the vessel’s engines.

Once in the cooling vents, they get mashed into a thick, sticky soup.
This blocks the cooling system, causing the engines to overheat and bringing the warship to a halt.

It then reportedly takes days to clear the pipes.

Thus the urgent need for countermeasures.
So spend billions building new warship, find it gets taken out by jellyfish, well done, but not finished yet! By far not finished yet! yes it needs a number of exclamation marks, even consecutive ones!!

Quote:
The new jellyfish shredder consists of a net, several hundred meters long and wide, which is towed by a tugboat ahead of the carrier.

This funnels whatever falls within towards an array of steel blades.
What comes out the other side is no larger than 3cm wide.

The effect is so brutal researchers report the waters the shredder passes through become murky as the jellyfish — and other marine life — corpses begin to decompose. It takes up to a week to clear.
So a warship that needs a tug to travel in front of it to destroy every living thing in sight! I told you it needed more exclamation marks!

But there's still more!!!

Quote:
Severed tentacles can apparently wash up on to popular beaches.
Too small to notice, they’re stinging unsuspecting bathers.

Their venom — still active — causes intense pain and inflammation. This can lead to death.
Giant new warship, tug to go around in front of it killing everything, people on nearby beaches dying in droves, but here's still more!

Quote:
And the mass environmental upheaval caused by China’s enormous island reclamation project — which has destroyed many South China Sea estuaries in order to create military outposts — is only beginning to be understood.
Yes they did it all to themselves, amazing!!!!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...dbce9df320c9b8

And even more amazing, this wasn't in some environmental section of the news, it was in "innovations", remarkable that someone should consider this as an innovation!

Last edited by stevebrooks; 2nd December 2017 at 02:30 PM.
Like wolty liked this post
Old 2nd December 2017, 11:17 PM
What Me Deluded?

Laughing almost automatically these days.
Old 26th December 2017, 10:24 PM
What Me Deluded?

The Melbourne inner city Greens seats are where you will find optimists who believe in the human species' technical ingenuity in fixing global, environmental problems. The realists understand that profit is the deciding driver in any enterprise, planet-saving innovations included.

I wish I could share their optimism, I really do. Why be this wet blanket doomsayer if it makes not an iota of difference?

For me it's merely about knowing, keeping up with what's happening. I can't ignore it, dismiss it, look away.

The super wealthy, Big Oil&Gas, are all in the same leaky boat as everyone else, sinking into the soup.

So here's the latest contribution to a justified optimistic outlook for the future,

Quote:
Environment
$180bn investment in plastic factories feeds global packaging binge

Colossal funding in manufacturing plants by fossil fuel companies will increase plastic production by 40%, risking permanent pollution of the earth.

Last edited by Strato; 26th December 2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 26th December 2017, 11:09 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
risking permanent pollution of the earth.

I'll have to dispute that bit though, the earth isn't in any danger from humans. No matter what we do the earth will continue. Sure we could nuclear bomb it all over and make it radioactive, it's been radioactive before, we can fill it with plastic, but plastic is, despite claims, a fairly short term pollution factor, in a few thousand years it will be gone, we can heat it up, but it's been hot before, the earth doesn't care, it's just a ball of rock, it will still exist quite happily under a thick atmosphere with surface temperatures in the 800c+ like Venus.

Eventually the sun will start reaching the end if its lifetime, it will heat up, expand, boil all the water away, kill the last remnants of life, then it will destroy the earth.

We in no way endanger the earth by what we do, we endanger ourselves and I think the message we send needs to be changed. We in no way endanger the earth, we endanger life, we endanger ourselves. There's no hippy trippy mother gaia, it's just uncaring rock and elements. Of course there's a position that we can fix it with technology, and I won't deny that is a possibility, but we have to actually want to fix it first.

I remain optimistic because what the fuck else are we to be, but at the same time I know it isn't a problem that's going to fix itself, and changing the message may help, it's about us, not about the earth!
Old 27th December 2017, 12:17 AM
What Me Deluded?

I just read Season's Greetings From Gary Kasparov

Quote:
I’m also optimistic because there is no benefit to being otherwise!
An ever encouraging letter. Kasparov is on my email feed. Wonderful person.

Indeed saving the planet is about preserving life, the world as we know it, all species having clean habitat to flourish and not be driven to extinction. That's very hard to envision for me.

The Sun will expand into a red giant in about 14 billion years and envelop the solar system, then shrink into a white dwarf. It is half way through its life.

Let our demise here happen then. We could seed the galaxy, if only.

The Universe and the laws of physics aren't sentimental about us or any lifeform awesome though it be.