Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 3rd June 2017, 02:09 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Re: NDE / Near Death Experience -- Rant

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
All the gods must hate me, Azu. It was just nothing, peace and quiet, then I had to tell the ambulance guy Malcolm Fraser was the Prime Minister, and why couldn't he fucking bother somebody else with his homework questions and let me die in peace.

I sometimes wake up a bit grumpy.
Cool.
Old 3rd June 2017, 10:32 PM
Anonymising my profile for a while...

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
How can you say it is utmost arrogance amongst those people who experienced heaven and light of the God when they experienced it as real? You can't disprove what others' experiences are nor can you counter argue that theirs is real or not according to their own judgement. It's very personal.
It's arrogance, because you are asserting a fact without proof or evidence. I think I know from anecdotal personal evidence that you can "dream" during these episodes (at what point during the episode this occurs I don't know).

I do not doubt that people "think" they experience/see the things they do while in these states.

But, knowing I can dream, and knowing the chemical response my body goes through during this episode, I don't then pretend to assert that the dream or "experience" I had was real.

One of the first times I had a cardiac arrest I "experienced" being in New York, the Subway loudly clanged overhead, the yellow taxis all loudly beeped their horns. But, I realise that I didn't really go to New York.

I'm not walking around saying that purgatory or Hell is in fact New York City.

Another time, I was talking to a colleague before I "died". I continued talking to her, and she wrote my name 3 times on a whiteboard, with a big underline under them. I woke up to a colleague cradling my head to the ground.

I'm not walking around saying that I had an out-of-body experience, because I witnessed her writing these things.

This time, I can't remember what I dreamed, but it felt "nice". I woke up with a positive and warm, fuzzy feeling. I knew that was the adrenaline and dopamine my brain released.

I'm not walking around saying that I felt "God's embrace".

I remember these things happening, but I like to think I have the humility to recognise that my brain is not infallible. Just because I "remember" and "experienced" them doesn't mean they were real.

So yes, it is completely arrogant to me for someone to proclaim that these "dreams" that I do not doubt people actually have, are nothing more than the side-affects of our brain doing it's best to make do during that episode.

Why is it that you think that because you believe it, that makes it true? What makes your belief or brain more special than any other humans?

If only there was a way to objectively test our collective experiences...

Last edited by GenericBox; 3rd June 2017 at 10:50 PM.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Voltairine thanked this post
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:04 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

@GB - I imagine that they must have recorded the whole episode with their sensors. A long shot here, but: Is that data likely to yield anything of benefit for you?
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:43 PM
Anonymising my profile for a while...

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
@GB - I imagine that they must have recorded the whole episode with their sensors. A long shot here, but: Is that data likely to yield anything of benefit for you?
I meet with my "real" Cardiologist on the 12th June, so see what she says.

But on the same day they also do all the blood tests, an Echo, and an ECG but when I went back to see the Transplant consultant this week she said that everything was fine and see me again in 6 months.

She advised I "don't exercise" and I was like DONE!

They simply don't know why it happens I imagine, she asked me about what that trigger feeling was and that I avoid doing anything that would bring it on.

But yeah they did another ECG/Blood test last week when I went back and haven't had any frantic phone calls from them so I imagine nothing new has changed post-event.

My Cardiologist might have a better understand when she reviews my ECHO/ECG but otherwise business-as-usual

I think they only know what happened at the time, which was that after I said I felt that feeling I went into Polymorphic VT and then VF and was resuscitated.

I overheard the Physio talking to a Doctor, and she said, "it's weird he felt it coming before our machines picked anything up"

I was like... I F---ING TOLD YOU SO!
Old 4th June 2017, 01:48 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

GenericBox,

Let me tell you. I don't care whether people's claims about supernatural experiences are arrogant and in fact real or not.

I can only say that such experiences are best inferred as a phenomenon occurring within human heads/bodies only and bearing little to no connection to the reality. Even those 'real, spiritual and heavenly' dreams are dreams after all.

Got that?

Now, where's everyone's like and thanks clicks on my posts - am I infamous, most disliked and unpopular/unworthy after all!!!???

Last edited by Azurisan21; 4th June 2017 at 01:51 PM.