Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 27th May 2017, 06:06 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default My New Signature

Please tell your opinion.
Old 27th May 2017, 06:12 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Default Re: My New Signature

Some interesting discussions could arise from your new sig Azu - but I'd like to know what it means to you before I offer an opinion... so can you explain it to me?

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Thank gray-owl thanked this post
Old 27th May 2017, 06:18 PM

I mean to replace good and evil respectively with 'intelligence' and 'stupidity'.

Look at religions - how much they have caused evil acts and destruction? Someone who preaches or idealises in order to brainwash the masses are really and inherently stupid because they lack or fail to demonstrate an assessment of the bitter consequences, let alone selfish motives.

Also, people who follow religions are not thinking clearly or properly, and often times religions are very conflicting.

With intelligence, people organise better, are aware of the consequences of what actions they might commit to and may better the humanity and nature.

What I've said is just a very few examples to begin with.

Last edited by Azurisan21; 27th May 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 27th May 2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
I mean to replace good and evil respectively with 'intelligence' and 'stupidity'.

Look at religions - how much they have caused evil acts and destruction? Someone who preaches or idealises in order to brainwash the masses are really and inherently stupid because they lack or fail to demonstrate an assessment of the bitter consequences, let alone selfish motives.

Also, people who follow religions are not thinking clearly or properly, and often times religions are very conflicting.

With intelligence, people organise better, are aware of the consequences of what actions they might commit to and may better the humanity and nature better.

What I've said is just a very few examples to begin with.
Ok, cool, I get that. I'd temper it with something from your last sentence though. Intelligent people have made the world a better place in some ways, they have also enabled us to destroy ourselves and the planet we live on.

I would aim for a mix of kindness, intelligence, resilience, and perserverance.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Like Azurisan21 liked this post
Old 27th May 2017, 06:50 PM
AFA Member

The statement that there is no good or evil is just people not wanting to address the issue
Old 27th May 2017, 07:18 PM
AFA Member

Well, I think strictly speaking there is good and evil. Like killing and eating a baby for pleasure is kind of evil in my view, or mass murder, genocide, rape and so on. I reckon these things can reasonably be classed as evil, from a humanist perspective. And they have nothing to do with IQ. Some of the most evil people have been highly intelligent.

Also, many people who believe in god are very intelligent and vice versa.

Its an interesting topic, beyond your signature, Az.

Stupidity, for example, would need definition. Are you referring to a person with a below average IQ? How far below? Or does it refer to ignorance and perhaps a lack of decent education opportunities?
Like odd, wadaye liked this post
Old 27th May 2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
Ok, cool, I get that. I'd temper it with something from your last sentence though. Intelligent people have made the world a better place in some ways, they have also enabled us to destroy ourselves and the planet we live on.

I would aim for a mix of kindness, intelligence, resilience, and perserverance.
I'm interested in principles of resilience and perseverance as have been my longstanding 'virtues' on my list. Could you please define and give examples of each of those terms?
Old 27th May 2017, 07:27 PM

HEADS UP EVERYONE.

I'm about to change my signature so to retain the origins of this thread, I'll leave my former signature here.

There's no good or evil, only intelligence and/or stupidity.
- Azu
Old 27th May 2017, 07:47 PM

I believe this to be true -

Quote:
Calvin Coolidge said
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
I made my daughter copy this out when she was young, I'm not sure it did anything, but I do believe it to be a moral.

Old 27th May 2017, 07:48 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
HEADS UP EVERYONE.

I'm about to change my signature so to retain the origins of this thread, I'll leave my former signature here.

There's no good or evil, only intelligence and/or stupidity.
- Azu
It reminds me of fo buddhism, that there is no good and evil, only skillfull and unskillfull actions