Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 15th February 2017, 09:54 AM
Proceed at own risk

Default Re: Vaccination survey

Quote:
Xermes said View Post
Deep, probably well-founded distrust of pharmaceutical companies.
I agree big business is prone to corruption, but it is pure paranoia to distrust vaccinations enough to forgo them.
Like joele, Stubby liked this post
Old 15th February 2017, 01:38 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
JonnoRoy said View Post
Survival of the fittest, I think. Let nature take its course.
Except they endanger more than their own life, i.e. their kids and due to herd immunity, other people's kids that for example haven't reached the age required for a particular vaccination.

Not to mention the small % that vaccination doesn't work for, which isn't a huge issue as herd immunity would normally cover them but now won't if in their area vaccination rates have gotten too low for herd immunity to halt the spread.

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by joele; 15th February 2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 15th February 2017, 02:24 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
Xermes said View Post
doubtful. more like stupidity and gullibility. they probably take Panadol, Ibuprofen, anti biotics and an assortment of other drugs without blinking an eye.
Old 15th February 2017, 04:11 PM
Omu'sata

Quote:
Xermes said View Post
What might be the "well-founded" component of the alleged mistrust?

Some evidence will be required. Because, in my opinion, the only people who should be mistrusted on vaccination issues are those who chant "vaccinations are bad, mmk?".

It was only in the last couple of weeks (here in Perth) that:
  • a child who had not been vaccinated against measles was taken to Bali;
  • that child contracted measles in Bali;
  • that child then came into contact with two infants (who were too young to have the vaccination); and
  • the two infants contracted measles.

Source

This is what believing the nonsense peddled on the internet by the ignorant about vaccinations leads to. This is a perfect example of why the people to mistrust are not those that make the vaccinations. The anti-vaccination crowd are relying on false scientific claims and are undoubtedly dangerous to others.
Old 15th February 2017, 05:10 PM
AFA Member

I found a few of the questions badly worded but filled it out best I could as I have a 5 year old..

example...

Quote:
Vaccination is against God’s will.
How do I agree or disagree with that if I don't believe there is one, had to put neutral.. (maybe I am too literal though)

or

Quote:
Doctors are closed minded to alternative medicine

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by joele; 15th February 2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 15th February 2017, 06:28 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
You two are going to get us in trouble, because some fucker is going to think you're actually advocating for a totalitarian authoritarian approach, ya fuckers.
So say "authoritarian" like it is a bad thing. Sometimes it is, sometimes not. Sometimes the needs of the many really do outweigh the needs of the few. One thing that needs to be protected is herd immunity. Not only for the needs of the many, but also the needs of the few. Vaccination covers the many, and for the few where vaccination is contra-indicated for medical reasons, then herd immunity is vital.

Authoritarianism is bad when it suppresses wants for no good reason. People can believe whatever they want, but as soon as those beliefs impact on the public sphere, this may affect the needs of others. If I believe in the mud god Pikkawokki, and he tells me to jump over a cliff, then fine. It is my right to do so. I might be insane or I might have good reasons, but in the end, after counselling and whatever, my right is to take the leap. When I take the leap I have no right to force, or even urge other folks to do so with me. Nor, when I fall over the cliff, do I have the right to use my body as a missile and kill any folks below.

But this is what the anti-vaxx folks are doing. Not only do they want their children to jump off a cliff, but everybody else also.

Sorry, they have the right to bleive whatever they want, but they can't spread their deadly and deluded nonsense elsewhere. It has real-life consequences on other folks, and that is bad.