Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 22nd January 2017, 08:55 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: The struggles of Middle Eastern Atheists at home and away from home

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
That wasn't China! It was the UK! You must have taken a wrong turning at Albuquerque!
Nah mate, that was a different type of denim blue in 80s Ingerland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 337060-243924-f86e4e8e6c-1326.jpg (29.7 KB, 43 views)
Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:58 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
It is not unpleasant to be "more than a naked animal". Not because naked animals are bad, but because we can do a lot of things better than most animals. In such circumstances, reminding ourselves we are just apes can detract from that. But so long as there is no permanent denial of our animal-ness or mortality, no harm is done.
I think the nudity taboo is really overdone. If someon is nakes in public, it shoudn't be such a huge deal.
Like knowledge is power, DanDare liked this post
Old 29th January 2017, 08:17 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Cheers.

Do you put any store into the idea that (some) women will not be allowed to leave the house if a ban is imposed?
That's a good point. I personally think that the west should first impose such a ban (in the west you can't restrict someone's movement otherwise he/she would face serious legal circumstances)
Then the ME can later follow. it will take generations for the Middle East to follow but they can get their. Read about Ataturk of Turkey and Abu Rgaibah of Tunisia to see how it is possible to make a place in the Middle East a secular one
Old 6th February 2017, 07:29 PM

A big Attaboy to Ataturk.
But it seems to be going backwards in Turkey.

I have alternated in reading this thread between the emotions of great hope, and fearful for your safety. But on the whole I am finding great hope.

How does one change a society? In the tug-of-war for change, there are lot of people pulling in the religious direction.
The US and Europe seem to also be heading towards fundamentalist driven philosophies. Even Scandinavia seems to be having a bit of a shake-up.
Old 7th February 2017, 10:48 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Holmz said View Post
A big Attaboy to Ataturk.
But it seems to be going backwards in Turkey.

I have alternated in reading this thread between the emotions of great hope, and fearful for your safety. But on the whole I am finding great hope.

How does one change a society? In the tug-of-war for change, there are lot of people pulling in the religious direction.
The US and Europe seem to also be heading towards fundamentalist driven philosophies. Even Scandinavia seems to be having a bit of a shake-up.
Religious but also racist, bigoted and fear driven. Fairly well resourced communication systems are feeding constant propaganda to the hate enclaves and even when they lie outrageously there seems to be no way to get that fact in front of the people that need to know it.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.