Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 31st December 2016, 07:09 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Health & Happiness

I reckon that there is enough shit and sadness and pain in life that when happiness does occur-embrace it. Carpe diem.

"We may lose and we may win, though we will never be here again
So open up I'm climbin' in, so take it easy"

Eagles lyrics from "Take It easy".
Old 31st December 2016, 08:35 PM

Do you think maybe that the person said this because earning X and achieving X is what makes him happy? Content? Brings him a feeling of accomplishment? Secure? You could substitute a variety of descriptions. If it does not bring you a sense of satisfaction, regardless the means undertaken to achieve satisfaction, including the negatives we must accept in the meantime, it is unlikely you will continue to pursue the task. Employment for example - many of us despise it but are satisfied with the wage and if not seek to earn more to be satisfied. Some continue to seek satisfaction even when aquiring what another may consider satisfactory. You could apply this to a fitness fanatic too. I think your friends goal is infact happiness but he finds it in earning X and achieving X and maybe everytime he reaches his goal he raises the bar as many driven and motivated people do.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 31st December 2016, 08:42 PM
AFA Member

Some people are super-talented and lucky. Like David Attenborough for example, or Tim Minchin. Doing what they love. But most of us have to work in jobs that are less than ideal. Work to survive, and live life when not at work.
Old 31st December 2016, 08:51 PM

For example - presently I am on a disability pension. This affords me necessities and a few small comforts. Comparing myself to others who are able to earn more makes me feel this is not satisfactory. But in reality I am quite content. I want for nothing. What makes me unhappy is ethical and social issues that I find unjust. If I were to think of only myself I am quite happy, all negative occurences are fleeting and I resume feeling contented when they pass. I seek to achieve more in terms of social and ethical issues and when I accomplish something in this field I am delighted which motivates me to try again and again. Even when I encounter barriers in these areas, my passion drives me to continue. But my happiness is not dependant on X amount of wealth or X amount of achievements. If I do not compare myself to those who have more I am quite happy.

Old 31st December 2016, 09:23 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
One intelligent and wise human once said, "Happiness is a strange concept. The ultimate goal shouldn't be happiness. Goals can include to earn X amount and achieve Y objects but happiness cannot be a goal - it is vague."

Then when I asked about health, he replied "Health too is vague. You can aim to eat less fat and lose weight but you cannot aim to be healthy all the time."

I would like anyone's opinions on that.
I disagree. Being happy is the ultimate goal. You can be unhealthy, be poor financially and still feel great! The drawback is that your time on Earth could be limited if you party too much, can't afford food and get unhealthy in the meantime.
Like Azurisan21 liked this post
Old 31st December 2016, 09:24 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Quote:
SEG said View Post
I disagree. Being happy is the ultimate goal. You can be unhealthy, be poor financially and still feel great! The drawback is that your time on Earth could be limited if you party too much, can't afford food and get unhealthy in the meantime.
I like your counter-argument. I wish to pass yours on to him and see his reaction.
Old 31st December 2016, 09:24 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
EbonyBreeCaple said View Post
For example - presently I am on a disability pension. This affords me necessities and a few small comforts. Comparing myself to others who are able to earn more makes me feel this is not satisfactory. But in reality I am quite content. I want for nothing. What makes me unhappy is ethical and social issues that I find unjust. If I were to think of only myself I am quite happy, all negative occurences are fleeting and I resume feeling contented when they pass. I seek to achieve more in terms of social and ethical issues and when I accomplish something in this field I am delighted which motivates me to try again and again. Even when I encounter barriers in these areas, my passion drives me to continue. But my happiness is not dependant on X amount of wealth or X amount of achievements. If I do not compare myself to those who have more I am quite happy.

We are limited in what we can do to make the world a better place. We can only do the best we can and things like the war in Syria or a Trumped America are things out of our control. We can feel sad or concerned or angry over these things, but it is a mistake [IMHO] to dwell on them at the cost of our own happiness.
Old 31st December 2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
We are limited in what we can do to make the world a better place. We can only do the best we can and things like the war in Syria or a Trumped America are things out of our control. We can feel sad or concerned or angry over these things, but it is a mistake [IMHO] to dwell on them at the cost of our own happiness.
Personally I see an opportunity to better improve the situation by actively participating in discussions and organizations that seek better outcomes for those adversely effected by these situations. It does not cost me my happiness. Infact, being inactive gives me a sense of despair.

Old 1st January 2017, 11:18 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
EbonyBreeCaple said View Post
Personally I see an opportunity to better improve the situation by actively participating in discussions and organizations that seek better outcomes for those adversely effected by these situations. It does not cost me my happiness. Infact, being inactive gives me a sense of despair.

I didn't say we should be inactive about such things, just realistic.

There can be an enormous sense of well-being when one tries to make someone or something better, and it actually works.
Old 1st January 2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
I didn't say we should be inactive about such things, just realistic.

There can be an enormous sense of well-being when one tries to make someone or something better, and it actually works.
My being realistic about certain problems that seem beyond my being able to effectively solve involves recognizing that the lack of concerned effort in trying to create better outcomes is in part responsible for the situation existing.
Like a disease, if it is not treated, it spreads. The same logic can be applied to social and political ills.