Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 22nd September 2016, 10:07 AM
AFA Member

Default Atheists in Defence of Muslims (AIDOM)

Comrades,

The debate in Australia regarding Islam, refugees, sharia, and extremism is currently dominated by the likes of Pauline Hanson and Malcolm Roberts and their extremist Christian ideology clumsily disguised as "protecting our culture". I am calling on thoughtful atheists who are able to sort the sin from the sinner and the religion from the religious to join a special interest group of the AFA called "Atheists in Defence of Muslims" or AIDOM. I have contacted AFA leadership to coordinate their support for the group whose aim would be to generate media attention for views that are all-at-once critical of the tenets of a religion, supportive of the rights of its everyday adherents, committed to standards of humanitarian treatment of citizens and refugees, and intolerant of extremist ideologies whether they take the form of jihadist Islamic terrorism or fundamentalist Christian bigotry and racism.

I've had enough of hearing ignorant people spouting lies, untruths, half-truths and hateful rubbish "swamping" our media. It's time to fight fire with the cold, hard truth and the authority of our shared unbelief. One Nation has power in numbers, we need to mobilise the same in a non-partisan, enlightened way.

I have started a fecebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/AtheistsinDefenceofMuslims/

Please get in touch if you're interested.

Cheers,
Lachlan
Old 22nd September 2016, 03:11 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Default Re: Atheists in Defence of Muslims (AIDOM)

Hi lachkent, welcome to the forum.
Quote:
lachkent said View Post
I am calling on thoughtful atheists who are able to sort the sin from the sinner and the religion from the religious to join a special interest group of the AFA called "Atheists in Defence of Muslims" or AIDOM. I have contacted AFA leadership to coordinate their support for the group...
Just for clarity and transparency... this group (as worthy as it may be) is not actually under the auspices of, nor formally endorsed by, the AFA?
Old 22nd September 2016, 05:28 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Default Re: Atheists in Defence of Muslims (AIDOM)

This seems to be a very well-intentioned idea and I you can always count me in as an opponent of the ignorance and bigotry espoused by the likes of Hanson and Roberts.

But I think I'd rather be an atheist in support of equality, or an atheist against racism. Because I would like to support those people at the receiving end of the crap dished out by One Nation and Reclaim Australia, regardless of their religion. Although the far right go on about Muslims a lot, they are about more than just that.
Like knowledge is power liked this post