Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 19th April 2016, 05:54 PM

Default Salvation

For me, non belief and the realisation that I was NOT the devil incarnate nor possessed nor in danger of losing my mortal soul was a huge weight off my shoulders.
I am one of 13 children raised in a strict Catholic house. The church was our schooling, our social life and our go-to for every crisis in life.
However, I remember as if it were yesterday (over 50 years ago) sitting in catechism class and putting my hand up to ask a question regarding faith. The nun in charge turned purple, inviscerated me verbally for daring to question the faith and told me I was a disgrace to a fine Catholic family.
That was the not-so-thin edge of the wedge. I kept my mouth shut, studied everything that had nothing to do with religion and read everything I could get my hands on about other people's beliefs and thoughts.
It wasn't until I moved away totally from the mid-west Catholic community and my family that a whole new world of critical thinkers and rational humanists led me to the wonderful community of reason.
There is a big wide wonderful world of rational thought for anyone who cares to open their minds to it.
Like bruce1937, 142857, Goldenmane, Strato, wolty and 7 others liked this post
Old 19th April 2016, 05:59 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Default Re: Salvation

Being married to one of 14 I suspect I know quite a lot about your early years (depending on where in the list you dropped, mine is the runt of the litter).

Like wolty, Logic please liked this post
Old 20th April 2016, 09:23 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

I am the oldest of 3 in a non-religious family. It was something of a culture shock for me when I met my wife, who was the youngest of 7 from a Catholic family. Interestingly she was not religious herself and most of the family has become less religious over the last couple of decades.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 20th April 2016, 02:34 PM
AFA Member

Those size families are very rare these days, my parents had 4 kids in total and we were the second largest family in my primary school.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback all. I am second youngest of the 13 Loki. It is a great pleasure to me to find that the younger generations of my family are emerging from the catholic cocoon and thinking for themselves (much to the alarm of their grandparents).
Like Stubby, DanDare liked this post
Old 22nd April 2016, 05:46 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Welcome, O51!
Old 18th May 2016, 04:03 PM

A spirited and inspired post, O51!
Old 18th May 2016, 04:55 PM
AFA Member

Welcome Ozgenie
Old 18th May 2016, 09:39 PM
What Me Deluded?

Welcome Ozgenie.

Encouraging large families and forbidding contraception and abortion is a guarantee for the growth of Catholicism. World dominion.

Except, it's on the decline in the developed world. Ireland and America are getting zealous priests from Africa, who are totally unsophisticated, culturally na´ve.
Old 21st May 2016, 08:52 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Encouraging large families and forbidding contraception and abortion is a guarantee for the growth of Catholicism. World dominion.
Its interesting this view. Its prevalent among many theist groups that they can out populate the world, as if their kids are incapable of ever changing their minds about religion.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.