Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 27th February 2009, 01:07 PM

Default Re: atheism & freemasonry - can they coexist?

yes atheists are not allowed to be Freemasons but why would they want to be. That would be like a vegetarian going to a barbecue lovers convention.

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
But atheist Freemasons... that is, "freemasons who do NOT believe in a supreme being", that would be a big NO, wouldn't it?
Old 27th February 2009, 01:21 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

I'm vego and love barbeques hmmm Veggie Shish Kebabs, grilled sweet potato and peaches or mango aahhh .. stuffed tomato and zucchini droool .. king size mushrooms drizzled with lime, soy sauce, garlic and pine nuts .... ARGH I'm HUNGRY!!!

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 27th February 2009, 01:36 PM

no barbecue is complete without grilled peppers and onions and other assorted veggies raped in tinfoil to keep in the juices. Especially good if they are fresh out of the garden. Then you just have to worry about some yuppie coming near your meat with any grilling sauces and ruining the natural flavor of the meat. Fools.

But you get my point.

Quote:
davo said View Post
I'm vego and love barbeques hmmm Veggie Shish Kebabs, grilled sweet potato and peaches or mango aahhh .. stuffed tomato and zucchini droool .. king size mushrooms drizzled with lime, soy sauce, garlic and pine nuts .... ARGH I'm HUNGRY!!!
Old 27th February 2009, 04:17 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

No that's right Mr Black, if you read back, I post the actual link to various sites confirming the requirement to believe in a supreme being to be a member, and for example you can look here on the australian (victorian) site :

http://www.freemasonsvic.net.au/Secr...2/Default.aspx

"Freemasonry recognizes the richness of all cultural beliefs and excludes no individual from membership on the basis of race or politics. Though Freemasons are required to profess a belief in a Supreme Being the specifics of a Freemasons belief are considered to be a personal matter."

Or for the NSW's quite clear http://www.uglnsw.freemasonry.org.au/ :

Like many membership organisations, there are certain prerequisites that potential members must satisfy when applying to be a Freemason. To become a Freemason a person needs to:

1. Be a Law abiding person;
2. Have a belief in a Supreme Being; and
3. Have made his decision to join Freemasonry by his own free will and not for any personal gain or reasons of idle curiosity.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 27th February 2009, 04:45 PM

My husband is a freemason and a non-believer; he just pays lip service to the 'supreme being' thing. Once you're in, you're in, and religion need not play any further role. so yes, you can be an atheist and a freemason, as I live with one. He has no belief in god, a god, goddess or the supernatural. If and when it comes to anything to do with god in the lodge, he sees it merely as a part of the many ancient rituals of the craft; this supreme being belief does not interfere in anyway with his life inside or outside of the lodge, and he does not interfere in anyway with the craft rituals, which he highly respects. He is a freemason because his father is one, and my husband was initiated in England, not here in Oz. So he's a pommie atheist freemason, beat that!
Old 27th February 2009, 04:52 PM

lol well i suspected that there were atheist Freemasons out there. I've just here met one that admit to it. I suspect there is quite a few out there. I'm about as close as you can get without braking any rules. I've always wanted to go visit the temples in London. I've seen pictures of some nice ones in Australia to.

Quote:
Kid said View Post
My husband is a freemason and a non-believer; he just pays lip service to the 'supreme being' thing. Once you're in, you're in, and religion need not play any further role. so yes, you can be an atheist and a freemason, as I live with one. He has no belief in god, a god, goddess or the supernatural. If and when it comes to anything to do with god in the lodge, he sees it merely as a part of the many ancient rituals of the craft; this supreme being belief does not interfere in anyway with his life inside or outside of the lodge, and he does not interfere in anyway with the craft rituals, which he highly respects. He is a freemason because his father is one, and my husband was initiated in England, not here in Oz. So he's a pommie atheist freemason, beat that!
Old 27th February 2009, 04:54 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

why would someone want to be in a group with those requirements?

Old 27th February 2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Sharpie44 said View Post
lol well i suspected that there were atheist Freemasons out there.
Hi Sharpie, excuse my assumption but there would be a membership application right? Does it ask you to nominate a religious faith? Can you be muslim for example? What would happen if you wrote atheist? Would you be denied membership?

Ok that's enough questions this isn't an inquisition Duffy *hand slap*
Old 27th February 2009, 05:10 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

I went late last year to London, here's some pics of Temple Church

Old 27th February 2009, 05:13 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Quote:
Duffy said View Post
Hi Sharpie, excuse my assumption but there would be a membership application right? Does it ask you to nominate a religious faith? Can you be muslim for example? What would happen if you wrote atheist? Would you be denied membership?

Ok that's enough questions this isn't an inquisition Duffy *hand slap*
As I said, as we have been saying, no, no atheists allowed.

Yes you can have any other faith, that believes in a supreme being. You could follow Osiris for example, but you must believe in a supreme being.

Of course, if you lie and say your not an atheist, as Kid's hubby did, sure you can sneak in, but it's a requirement of freemasonry that you believe in a supreme being