Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 23rd January 2015, 11:27 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Default Re: The Joys of Catholicism!

Quote:
Phroso said View Post

Next time someone posts a photo similar to this one, please provide a trigger warning!
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:29 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Interestingly, In all my years of cat-licking school and churchgoing, I never heard of the "state of grace" - I was always out of grace (often having achieved that state within minutes of going to church).

Last edited by workmx; 23rd January 2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 24th January 2015, 01:06 AM
What Me Deluded?

Confession invoked in me a very unalluring and dark image when I first heard about it at age 10 from the highly repressed Catholic boys over the road. I learned from them about Hell, Purgatory, Satan, the Brothers and nuns, the cane on the behind, Mary, the Rosary and rote prayer, guardian angels, the Eucharist and real presence of Christ, body and blood.

Dad told me Catholics having huge families, is to Catholicise the world. All a bit to take in.

Confession is dark business. Does a priest hear girls as well as boys, women as well as men? That's very weird. I suppose some tell all.
Old 24th January 2015, 12:25 PM
AFA Member

I imagine the confessional became a very powerful tool for the church.
Knowing everyone's deepest and darkest secrets would give the priests very strong manipulative and blackmailing power over their victims. It would help keep them all in line fearing their secrets could be made public if they cause trouble.
Old 24th January 2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
bruce1937 said View Post
I imagine the confessional became a very powerful tool for the church.
Knowing everyone's deepest and darkest secrets would give the priests very strong manipulative and blackmailing power over their victims. It would help keep them all in line fearing their secrets could be made public if they cause trouble.
This is true Bruce. I think we also don't understand how powerful and real the belief in an afterlife was. If I told you in confessional I had done more that covet my neighbours wife, I could possibly be the father of one of her children.
Then every time I looked at the priest, I would feel my soul shrivelling in fire.
The neighbours wife, my know or suspect I had confessed, so confessed herself.
The local priest had a group of people who he not only knew all the secrets of, e had a fair number of them really frightened of the afterlife as well.

The amount of land and valuables given to the church was incredible.
Bribes for the afterlife more so than to keep a priest quite.
To hold this kind of power was mind control as political control.
A king could only cut your head off. But with the vast majority believing that there was an afterlife that was controlled by the priests reports to god.
That the priest alone good be the deciding factor of eternal bliss or damnation?

This is mind control at a terrifying level.

Going back to my example of the cocold husband, he could pay the priest to damn them this life and next and the offspring of this sin, could be reminded by the priest (in confessional) that his soul is already damned, but, a new church would solve the sin.

Control on many levels, and as is the nature of human beings, many times the evilest ruthless. Must have had the control, as it is in politics today.
Old 24th January 2015, 11:03 PM
What Me Deluded?

Yes, priests have all the dirt on everybody and have ever been the curators of religious guilt, a lucrative business.

The massive St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, a big tourist destination, exhibiting the magisterial Holy Church was paid for by the selling of indulgences throughout the European Holy See (which calls to mind the Lidless Eye) in the late Middle Ages. This had been going on for several hundred years.

You could purchase time out of Purgatory for a loved one or spring them out from Hell, or get yourself some absolution from the Pardoner, depending on what you shelled out.

Traveling troupes employed to put on frightening morality plays for the poor illiterate and impressionable peasants collected endless buckets of ducats and guilders for the Vatican coffers.

Financing with indulgences One method employed to finance the building of St. Peter's Basilica was the granting of indulgences in return for contributions. A major promoter of this method of fund-raising was Albrecht, Archbishop of Mainz and Magdeburg, who had to clear debts owed to the Roman Curia by contributing to the rebuilding program. To facilitate this, he appointed the German Dominican preacher Johann Tetzel, whose salesmanship provoked a scandal.[25]
A German Augustinian priest, Martin Luther, wrote to Archbishop Albrecht arguing against this "selling of indulgences". He also included his "Disputation of Martin Luther on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences", which came to be known as The 95 Theses.[26] This became a factor in starting the Reformation, the birth of Protestantism.