Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 26th November 2012, 11:41 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Vaccination skepticism is becoming the new public health threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
I guess in the west, people have been living so well, so prosperously, so much comfort, to the point that they are now unable to recognize a threat when they see it.
Blunt, if it's okay with you, I'm quoting this on my FB page. Brilliantly put.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...
Old 26th November 2012, 11:50 AM
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet

As much as I hate to say it, the anti-vax movement won't go away anytime soon.

FUD

Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

There are occasionally reports of children getting fucked up by vaccinations. I know that they're rare, and I also know that there is a known risk rate with any medical procedure. I also know that the risk of harm from vaccinations is substantially lower compared to the risk rate of the disease that they are protecting.

Now, I was never vaccinated against Small Pox. I remember in Year 5 (1989) when the teacher was talking about it and one kid in the class was vaccinated. He was because he had spent time in Papua New Guinea. On the same token, I had measles, but it was just like having chicken pox, I wasn't at risk of dying because I had been vaccinated. Most people having kids now won't have seen the danger that some of these diseases can have, so they won't see the benefit of having a potentially risky vaccine.

Compare HIV rates, I remember the ads with the Bowling Alley and Death. There was a reduction from that point on, but now, HIV is no longer the death sentence that it was, we can't cure it, but you can continue a pretty normal life after being diagnosed. As a result, HIV infection rates are on the rise as people are a lot more blase about preventing it.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:29 PM
Just delivering Bronnies shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudie View Post
I think if parents don't want to vaccinate their children, then that is their choice. But they should be forced to fuck off and live on an island off the mainland so we can maintain the herd immunity. Meryl dorey should be canonised with a real fucking canon!

Sorry I have not had enough coffee yet this Monday morning.

Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would prefer the offending parents/guardians who don't vaccinate their children, (or themselves) to be slugged in the hip pocket via a higher medicare surcharge, lets say 10%, instead of 1.5% of income and have it kick in on any reportable income, ignoring the tax free threshold.

You would still have freedom of choice (and attendant consequences) and the rest of us would avoid paying for your dimwitted decision.

I do realise their is technical issues with this such as proving immunisation and the cost of such testing. But I think it would be worth it.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:27 PM
Like a supermod without the lycra

I am sure when I was a kid, I had to be vaccinatd before I could attend school in NSW

Old 26th November 2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudie View Post
I think if parents don't want to vaccinate their children, then that is their choice. But they should be forced to fuck off and live on an island off the mainland so we can maintain the herd immunity. Meryl dorey should be canonised with a real fucking canon!

Sorry I have not had enough coffee yet this Monday morning.

Lol

I don't. "Choice" in parenting is over rated. Many parents are morons. Their poor kids will already have enough genetic and cultural baggage if their parents are stupid, without actually being exposed to dangerous pathogens for no good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
Pardon me for bumping up this thread, but last Saturday I met two new mums from Bellingen, lovely town, friendly people, but brain washed with New Age as fuck. These young mums were defiantly claiming how bad vaccinations, and how proud they are to have 'vaccinated' their kids by a homeopath or a naturopath or what the hell ever.

Coming from a totally different background (I grew up in Nepal where people die of not being able to vaccinate their kids, get medical treatment in time, mother/child dying during birth etc, it's a privilege reserved usually for the upper middle class), I was absolutely dumb founded when I found out the kind of things the otherwise lovely people from around Bellingen believe in.

Anti vaccination, Alternative medicine and absolute insistence on home birth/demonising hospital birth for the mother's birthing 'experience' has basically turned me off people into New Age completely.

I guess in the west, people have been living so well, so prosperously, so much comfort, to the point that they are now unable to recognize a threat when they see it.

They would not last that long in a third world for sure.

Perhaps some will say I am being too extreme but why are vaccinations not even compulsory yet in a first world country is beyond me. What about the child who could potentially be exposed to something? What if that child infected a lot of other children? Why such a blatant lack of responsibility? It should not even be up to the parents to decide whether or not they potentially could bring on a epidemic.
Absolutely. In fact, if it is a public health issue, adults shouldn't get the choice either. Same as seat belts, drink driving and any number of other public health issues.

Economic disincentives (higher medicare costs for example) should apply to stupid behaviour that costs society to fix (like smoking).

Legal disincentives should apply to behaviour that puts us all at risk.
Old 26th November 2012, 07:33 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibble View Post
I don't. "Choice" in parenting is over rated. Many parents are morons. Their poor kids will already have enough genetic and cultural baggage if their parents are stupid, without actually being exposed to dangerous pathogens for no good reason.

Absolutely. In fact, if it is a public health issue, adults shouldn't get the choice either. Same as seat belts, drink driving and any number of other public health issues.

Economic disincentives (higher medicare costs for example) should apply to stupid behaviour that costs society to fix (like smoking).

Oh me too I agree. I really don't want my kids put at risk because someone is too stupid to understand very basic science. I hate that I have to hold my tongue in work environments where these f'd up woo mongers spread their vial stupidity with impunity but I cannot respond as responding is infringing their rights. And yes I have been bitten on this.

EDM
Old 28th November 2012, 07:13 AM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Speaking of moronic parents, at least this Judge knew what was going on and ordered the child be vaccinated.

The idiot mother is lodging an appeal. She will lose.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/healt...a5uo.html#poll

Also, do the poll!
Old 28th November 2012, 11:06 AM
Just delivering Bronnies shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Speaking of moronic parents, at least this Judge knew what was going on and ordered the child be vaccinated.

The idiot mother is lodging an appeal. She will lose.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/healt...a5uo.html#poll

Also, do the poll!
Voted in the poll. I would troll in the comments, but most wooists are getting roundly spanked by those who wish to share nothing more than opinions.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:04 PM
AFA Member

I just reposted that SMH article to my FB page...now watch me get blasted by some lunatic family members who think homeopathy is a valid science *sigh*

I don't *really* care, to be honest, but it does make things less comfortable at Christmas dinner.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...
Old 28th November 2012, 02:36 PM
I am a fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibble View Post
I don't. "Choice" in parenting is over rated. Many parents are morons. Their poor kids will already have enough genetic and cultural baggage if their parents are stupid, without actually being exposed to dangerous pathogens for no good reason

If the government introduced mandatory vaccines for public health - how quickly do you think it will take the slippery slopers to come out of the woodwork?
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three