Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Old 26th November 2012, 06:33 PM
EvilDRMike EvilDRMike is online now
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney, Kings Langley
Posts: 3,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibble View Post
I don't. "Choice" in parenting is over rated. Many parents are morons. Their poor kids will already have enough genetic and cultural baggage if their parents are stupid, without actually being exposed to dangerous pathogens for no good reason.



Absolutely. In fact, if it is a public health issue, adults shouldn't get the choice either. Same as seat belts, drink driving and any number of other public health issues.

Economic disincentives (higher medicare costs for example) should apply to stupid behaviour that costs society to fix (like smoking).

Legal disincentives should apply to behaviour that puts us all at risk.
Oh me too I agree. I really don't want my kids put at risk because someone is too stupid to understand very basic science. I hate that I have to hold my tongue in work environments where these f'd up woo mongers spread their vial stupidity with impunity but I cannot respond as responding is infringing their rights. And yes I have been bitten on this.

EDM
__________________
--
Loading awesome signature please wait ...
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 28th November 2012, 06:13 AM
Praxis's Avatar
Praxis Praxis is offline
Here come the drums, here come the drums!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,336
Default

Speaking of moronic parents, at least this Judge knew what was going on and ordered the child be vaccinated.

The idiot mother is lodging an appeal. She will lose.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/healt...a5uo.html#poll

Also, do the poll!
__________________
I've never been very good at knowing "my place". Well actually I have, it's just never been where you want it to be.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 28th November 2012, 10:06 AM
Sieveboy's Avatar
Sieveboy Sieveboy is offline
Soccer meets facepalm
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not in bible land, Sydney
Posts: 3,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Speaking of moronic parents, at least this Judge knew what was going on and ordered the child be vaccinated.

The idiot mother is lodging an appeal. She will lose.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/healt...a5uo.html#poll

Also, do the poll!
Voted in the poll. I would troll in the comments, but most wooists are getting roundly spanked by those who wish to share nothing more than opinions.
__________________
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 28th November 2012, 11:04 AM
Aldaron's Avatar
Aldaron Aldaron is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,442
Default Re: Vaccination skepticism is becoming the new public health threat

I just reposted that SMH article to my FB page...now watch me get blasted by some lunatic family members who think homeopathy is a valid science *sigh*

I don't *really* care, to be honest, but it does make things less comfortable at Christmas dinner.
__________________
God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 28th November 2012, 01:36 PM
rayne's Avatar
rayne rayne is offline
I am a fish
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,096
Default Re: Vaccination skepticism is becoming the new public health threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibble View Post
I don't. "Choice" in parenting is over rated. Many parents are morons. Their poor kids will already have enough genetic and cultural baggage if their parents are stupid, without actually being exposed to dangerous pathogens for no good reason

Absolutely. In fact, if it is a public health issue, adults shouldn't get the choice either. Same as seat belts, drink driving and any number of other public health issues.

Economic disincentives (higher medicare costs for example) should apply to stupid behaviour that costs society to fix (like smoking).

Legal disincentives should apply to behaviour that puts us all at risk.
If the government introduced mandatory vaccines for public health - how quickly do you think it will take the slippery slopers to come out of the woodwork?
__________________
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 28th November 2012, 03:47 PM
Praxis's Avatar
Praxis Praxis is offline
Here come the drums, here come the drums!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,336
Default Re: Vaccination skepticism is becoming the new public health threat

I have had a tiler here all afternoon, doing the laundry. Lovely guy, he's done work for us before. Talks a blue streak, too.

Imagine my horror when the conversation (somehow) turned to things woo. I made a disparaging comment about anti-vaxxers (is there any other kind?) and he casually says "oh, we don't vaccinate our kids. My wife's a nurse. We're not stupid".

Well I'm sorry mate, but you are. And I told him so. And then I had to shut myself in my office for the rest of the afternoon in case I went right off because I really needed that tiling done!

A nurse who's an anti-vax nut. That's some scary shit right there, people
__________________
I've never been very good at knowing "my place". Well actually I have, it's just never been where you want it to be.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 28th November 2012, 04:56 PM
rayne's Avatar
rayne rayne is offline
I am a fish
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,096
Default Re: Vaccination skepticism is becoming the new public health threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
A nurse who's an anti-vax nut. That's some scary shit right there, people
I had one a few weeks back when I was in hospital. She spdnt ages telling me all about how she cured her kids of autism through a detox diet and got all the "toxins" out (couldn't tell me specifically what diet) and how she won't vaccinate kids and tells mothers not too after one of her kjds apparently developed autism through a vaccine. How anyone can do research on vaccine science and still believe anti-vax BS is beyond me.
__________________
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 28th November 2012, 05:21 PM
loubert's Avatar
loubert loubert is offline
You cannot be serious!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Townsville
Posts: 3,245
Default Re: Vaccination skepticism is becoming the new public health threat

I don't think this has been posted.
A opinion piece from the drum.

Former midwife.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4396794.html

On my phone. Bit hard to cut paste etc.
__________________
Prejudices are what fools use for reason. Voltaire

Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 28th November 2012, 05:37 PM
rayne's Avatar
rayne rayne is offline
I am a fish
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,096
Default Re: Vaccination skepticism is becoming the new public health threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubert View Post
I don't think this has been posted.
A opinion piece from the drum.

Former midwife.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4396794.html

On my phone. Bit hard to cut paste etc.
Great article. Thanks. I have never ending arguments with the husband of an old school friend who isn't vaccinating their kid and it's suspected the kid has something on the autism spectrum, however the father doesn't want to address it because in his eyes it would mean that he has failed as a parent (also a kid having autism without being vaccinated tanks his "vaccines are a global conspiracy to make money and we really don't need to vaccinate because everyone around my kid is healthy and the rate of getting diseases in Australia is low" theories).
__________________
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 28th November 2012, 07:26 PM
Ces Ces is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 250
Default Re: Vaccination skepticism is becoming the new public health threat

I do not advocate compulsory vaccination because there are risks associated with it. They are small, and I understand them to be smaller than the risks associated with not being vaccinated, but they exist. Like, um, another thread, the parents are charged with weighing the risks and making the choice.

The fact that the risks of not being vaccinated are so much higher than the risks of the jab seems to me to be so obvious and so important that there must be something else at work. Parents are not seeing the facts clearly. The rise of the internet and the easy dissemination of pseudo-science, mistrust of the power the big pharmaceutical companies are perceived to have, even the fact that you hate needles and you have to stick a big one into your little bundle of joy and make them cry, whatever it is, it is clouding the facts and some parents are making poor choices.

I like what someone said regarding slugging the parents of non-vaccinated children via the medicare rebate. Couple that with increased education about the risks of letting your children actually contract xyz and let the carrot and the stick do its work.

As an aside, I was cranky this morning about people not vaccinating their children and the kids asked me about it. I said my piece but cautioned them that my opinion was nothing more than that - opinion. This led to a detour about spotting false arguments and I said that when someone uses emotive language ("high modality" pipes up one kiddo) it should be a red flag and to check the facts carefully. I then read a nurse advocating vaccination in an opinion piece and using every bit of hyperbole she could muster. Groan. If you want to point to the science, then don't sound like a hysteric; it looks like your argument alone is not enough to convince.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.