Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 8th May 2012, 09:01 PM
AFA Member

Default Master Chef

I dont usually catch master chef, not for any particular reason except that it makes me want to vomit and stab people with my big fork.If im not quick enough I sometimes accidentally catch glimpses as I change channels. Several seasons ago I did notice that there seems to be LOTS of lovely looking fresh food for the contestants to choose from. One bit I saw was particularly interesting. 8 contestants were required to cook a dish with duck breast. Each was given a whole duck to break down.
What happened to the rest of the duck?
What happens to all those lovely fruit and vegis piled up on the benches?
I have emailed the site, and googleoggled, and cant find out.
So I am hoping some one will be able to tell me that it goes to charity or something, and not in the bin.
Please.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Master Chef

The main thing that fucks me off about MC is that we live in a society that by wanting to consume so much food and get rid of it by dieting (and therefore meets some basic guidleines of being bulimic) that they have a high rating show that parades around fatty, sugary gourmet food with zero nutrition. Almost as fucked up as biggest loser for promoting a healthy lifestyle.

I recall Matt Preston, wanting to look after his health wanting to join Jenny Craig (well, his heart was in the right place, Jenny Craig just as ineffective as everything else going...) but the producers say basically 'whoa, for show's image you should basically remain obese'

It is episode after episode of elitist crap. 2 billion people in the worlds are starving to death, and WE are are worried about PLATING IT UP????
Old 8th May 2012, 10:48 PM
AFA Member

C# MC is wrong on sooo many levels
Old 9th May 2012, 02:05 AM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

Not to mention the sickly sweet, openly religious Gary Mehigan who occasionally likes to drop god pleasing snippets into TV prime time viewing..
Old 9th May 2012, 02:46 AM

I used to like MasterChef. When it first came out, I enjoyed watching it.
Then my interest died... Along with most reality T.V shows.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Become evil.
Old 9th May 2012, 07:13 AM
AFA Member

I've never watched the Australian one, but I do find the British one (well, some versions of it) to be a bit of fun. The reason I hate most "reality" shows is the vitriol between the contestants, and I haven't seen this in any of the British incarnations.

As far as the ethics of watching a food show in a world with starving people...well, I just don't quite know what to say. There was just a thread about a movie that cost $200,000,000 to make, and I didn't see anyone getting bent out of shape about patronising a movie about comic-book heroes when that money could have helped those starving people a helluva lot more than cancelling MC...

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Old 9th May 2012, 09:20 AM
Up there for thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Not to mention the sickly sweet, openly religious Gary Mehigan who occasionally likes to drop god pleasing snippets into TV prime time viewing..
Seriously!? How is it that I never picked up on that? Weird. Maybe I've been brain washed.
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens
Old 9th May 2012, 12:50 PM
And, of course, a-t-h-e-i-s-t

Here we have gotten MC UK, MC Australia, Junior MC Australia, and MC US - these are usually repeated an nauseum. By far the worse is MC US, in part because of Gordon I-m-so-fucking-wonderful-and-always-right Ramsay, in part because the contestants are crap, at least the ones I have caught, in part because it's like a game show and they like to show 'drama' with the contestants crying, and in part because the tasks are lame and frankly simple.

I will sometimes catch the UK (if it's not a repeat) because it doesn't have Ramsay or the faked-up-for-the-cameras drama. It's a whole lot quieter with no fake glitz.

I'm not a scientist, I'm what you might call an informal cheerleader. - Bill Bryson
Old 9th May 2012, 12:55 PM
AFA Member

I'd rather gouge out my eyes than watch anything with Ramsay...unless it was him being beaten to a quivering pulp by his own kitchen staff. Now THAT I'd pay to watch!

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Old 9th May 2012, 01:05 PM
And, of course, a-t-h-e-i-s-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
I'd rather gouge out my eyes than watch anything with Ramsay...unless it was him being beaten to a quivering pulp by his own kitchen staff. Now THAT I'd pay to watch!

Well, him and Jamie Oliver; he's so ANNOYING! And a few others...

Caught some of Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - ohhhh I just want to pick him up and bottle him.

I'm not a scientist, I'm what you might call an informal cheerleader. - Bill Bryson