Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 4th May 2012, 12:05 PM
Inedifix's Avatar
Inedifix Inedifix is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay of Plenty NZ
Posts: 224
Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by finix View Post
Well, I think we have to be careful that we don't turn atheism into a religion.
I think I know what you mean, but even if we all tried really hard, we couldn't 'turn' atheism into a religion. Atheism is simply the absence of belief. It was a word invented by believers to denigrate the un-pious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finix View Post
"Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values"
Whereas atheism isn't.

Atheism is not a collection of anything = No
Atheism has no cultural system = No
Atheism is by definition a lack of belief = No
Atheism is a worldview = Yes
Atheism does not establish symbols that relate humanity to spirituality or moral values = No

1 out of 5 does not make atheism a religion, nor something that could be 'turned' into one.
__________________
When evidence conflicts with theory, science rejects the theory.
When evidence conflicts with scripture, religion rejects the evidence.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 4th May 2012, 01:27 PM
Meissner's Avatar
Meissner Meissner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Perth W.A.
Posts: 229
Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Atheism is a worldview = Yes
mmmmmmm, can't say I agree with that.

Philosophical naturalism? yes

Humanism? yes

Skepticism? yes

Atheism? no, it is the result of skepticism and it is only the answer to one question, Do you believe god exists?

No=Atheist.

That doesn't mean you have a worldview based on your answer, you come to your answer based on your worldview.
__________________
The unwillingness to change your mind or admit when you are wrong is the epitome of willful ignorance.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 4th May 2012, 01:46 PM
Inedifix's Avatar
Inedifix Inedifix is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay of Plenty NZ
Posts: 224
Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meissner View Post
mmmmmmm, can't say I agree with that.

Philosophical naturalism? yes

Humanism? yes

Skepticism? yes

Atheism? no, it is the result of skepticism and it is only the answer to one question, Do you believe god exists?

No=Atheist.

That doesn't mean you have a worldview based on your answer, you come to your answer based on your worldview.
Good point. I hereby change what I said my last post to 0 out of 5.

Thanks Meissner
__________________
When evidence conflicts with theory, science rejects the theory.
When evidence conflicts with scripture, religion rejects the evidence.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 4th May 2012, 02:37 PM
Meissner's Avatar
Meissner Meissner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Perth W.A.
Posts: 229
Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inedifix View Post
Good point. I hereby change what I said my last post to 0 out of 5.

Thanks Meissner
excellent
__________________
The unwillingness to change your mind or admit when you are wrong is the epitome of willful ignorance.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 4th May 2012, 05:43 PM
stevebrooks stevebrooks is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,921
Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieveboy View Post
It was even funnier when he told me maths only exists in out heads. I think I broke my logic paddle bat on him.
So did you ask for a 20 in exchange for 2 tens and give him 2x5's then insist it was correct according to the maths in your head?


When he argues that 2x5's always = 10 and not 20 he would be claiming that the sum is the same for everybody whether or not they even knew maths and that therefore maths must be seperate from what is in our head.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 5th May 2012, 05:43 AM
rayne's Avatar
rayne rayne is offline
I am a fish
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,097
Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieveboy View Post
It was even funnier when he told me maths only exists in out heads. I think I broke my logic paddle bat on him.
Well god only exists in his head so I guess we're even. If he doesn't believe in math then he shouldn't be able to use anything that requires math to function.
__________________
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 5th May 2012, 09:01 AM
AUSloth's Avatar
AUSloth AUSloth is offline
I AM YOUR DOG
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fundy Lattitude
Posts: 7,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieveboy View Post
It was even funnier when he told me maths only exists in out heads. I think I broke my logic paddle bat on him.
Sounds like a traditional church technique for fleecing the flock. Keep the maths in your head then when anyone enquiries it's always "you owe us"
I am in your club re. "scientism" a pet hate.
__________________
"Here kitty, kitty, kitty ..." Erwin Schrodinger
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 5th May 2012, 09:30 AM
Worldslaziestbusker's Avatar
Worldslaziestbusker Worldslaziestbusker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: By the sea (I do like it)
Posts: 3,654
Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieveboy View Post
It was even funnier when he told me maths only exists in out heads. I think I broke my logic paddle bat on him.
Numbers are metaphors for sets of real things, and the equations we use them in are models of how things work in the universe. The universe doesn't use look up tables to determine how a planet should orbit a star - these things happen the way they do because of the four forces we attempt to model with equations. In this sense, mathematics is conceptual. Extremely useful, but not real.
Further thoughts on the unrealness of some really useful things.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 5th May 2012, 08:58 PM
Mjt's Avatar
Mjt Mjt is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: rural
Posts: 3,680
Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by finix View Post
I quoted the wikipedia definition because it is what the average moron would accept as a definition.

We are only as good as the information we equip ourselves with. Even then, we are being biased by smothers point of view.

Is it not enough that others see atheism as a religion. Shouldn't that ring alarm bells to us about the way we are presenting ourselves to the public.
Umm whats an average moron please?
Ya see what bothers me is the us and we and ourselves. Im not any part of any of your anything. Just another reason why atheism could not be a religion. Because no one tells me how I should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finix View Post
Luckily, we don't allow pedophiles to define themselves.

Telling people they are wrong and stupid is a classic symptom of religious fanatics.

If you think you are smarter than everyone else, you will learn nothing.

Being an atheist does not mean you have to be agro and go around hating religion. We all have common ground.
My bold. Does this include labeling any old body as an average moron?

Who is being mean and agro? I'm not normally mean and agro. Well except for that one time over on the other thread about that stoopid temple and if I could link it I would but I dont know how so you will have to use you imagination.
People have been known to just become totally frustrated, but usually after loooooong conversations, and sometimes NO is required.
Who hates religion? I don't. I just don't have any.
So please don't include me in your we. I don't want any.

I think you may be taking too much notice of other peoples idea of the atheist. It is a diverse creature. This one shall present itself however it damn well wants.

Last edited by Mjt; 5th May 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: bad grammor
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 6th May 2012, 11:34 AM
Sieveboy's Avatar
Sieveboy Sieveboy is offline
Soccer meets facepalm
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not in bible land, Sydney
Posts: 3,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldslaziestbusker

Numbers are metaphors for sets of real things, and the equations we use them in are models of how things work in the universe. The universe doesn't use look up tables to determine how a planet should orbit a star - these things happen the way they do because of the four forces we attempt to model with equations. In this sense, mathematics is conceptual. Extremely useful, but not real.
Further thoughts on the unrealness of some really useful things.
True, the maths question I posed to him: was the interest he earned on his bank account/charged on hid bank loan real or not?
__________________
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.