Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 3rd May 2012, 07:18 AM
I AM YOUR DOG

Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meissner View Post
Edit: BTW AUSloth, theism/atheism=belief, Gnostic/Agnostic=knowledge, not sure if you were confused about that or not, feel free to flame if you feel I'm being arrogant
No flame required (unless your up this end of the world for a BBQ some time) that was the point I was trying to make with the question "can I ever know" maybe "is the knowledge even possible?" might have captured it better. Not enough claret for clarity
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:17 AM

I see

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:19 PM

I quoted the wikipedia definition because it is what the average moron would accept as a definition.

We are only as good as the information we equip ourselves with. Even then, we are being biased by smothers point of view.

Is it not enough that others see atheism as a religion. Shouldn't that ring alarm bells to us about the way we are presenting ourselves to the public.
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:39 PM
Burp!!!!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finix View Post

Is it not enough that others see atheism as a religion. Shouldn't that ring alarm bells to us about the way we are presenting ourselves to the public.
Herding cats problem. Each will respond individually to a perceived slight.

Myself, I just swear and get cranky.

Atheists do need to understand their position. This involves devouring as much information as they can. Better to be equipped to deal with arguments.

Oh, another thing. Hanging around here has taught me something. The word "No". Someone says something incorrect, I respond with "No, that is incorrect".

Stupid arguments have to be pulled up all the time.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 3rd May 2012, 06:51 PM
I AM YOUR DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_Madej View Post
Sorry for the long post.

I am a little drunk while writing this.
That's alright, I'm an average drunk. About 5'8"
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:02 PM
Burp!!!!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSloth View Post
That's alright, I'm an average drunk. About 5'8"
I'm a big drunk then.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:17 PM
I've calculated your chance of survival, but I don't think you'll like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finix View Post
I quoted the wikipedia definition because it is what the average moron would accept as a definition.

We are only as good as the information we equip ourselves with. Even then, we are being biased by smothers point of view.

Atheism will be defined by those who identify as such, not by wankers who would redefine it to fit into their own extremely limited world. Those who would redefine atheism to assuage their own cognitive dissonance can get right royally rooted, their limited thought processes are not as valuable or worth listening to as they often suggest they are.

Old 4th May 2012, 08:43 AM

Luckily, we don't allow pedophiles to define themselves.

Telling people they are wrong and stupid is a classic symptom of religious fanatics.

If you think you are smarter than everyone else, you will learn nothing.

Being an atheist does not mean you have to be agro and go around hating religion. We all have common ground.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:30 AM
Soccer meets facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki

Atheism will be defined by those who identify as such, not by wankers who would redefine it to fit into their own extremely limited world. Those who would redefine atheism to assuage their own cognitive dissonance can get right royally rooted, their limited thought processes are not as valuable or worth listening to as they often suggest they are.
+1 I have spent an inordinate amount of time spanking a theist who insisted there wad no such thing as atheists. We atheists were all naturalists or devoted to scientism (a word I detest with a passion) and thus we could be forthwith be dismissed as irrational in the face of his superior philosophy. I had to drag out a Sam Harris style Buddhist to point out his fallacy. It was even funnier when he told me maths only exists in out heads. I think I broke my logic paddle bat on him.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:34 AM
I am a fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Yes exactly! We as atheists can define that however we want? Why should theists decide what that means when they can't even get their own stories straight?
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three