Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:42 PM
riddlemethis's Avatar
riddlemethis riddlemethis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,502
Default

If you understood the predictive part of the scientific method you could answer that question. Heck you could even use it to help answer the 'what came before' question to such a high degree of probability that the 'why' question is rendered absurd.
__________________
If we are puzzled by why the world is one way rather than some other way that it might have been, our puzzlement cannot be removed by supposing that the world is the way it is because God chose to make it that way. - Prof Graham Oppy
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:43 PM
dilbadoon dilbadoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,668
Default Re: Why are we here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygote View Post
How could you have a definitive answer to why we are here if you have no idea what existed prior?

@dilbadoon, thats not an answer, its an assumption.
How is it an assumption?

Last edited by dilbadoon; 2nd May 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:46 PM
riddlemethis's Avatar
riddlemethis riddlemethis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlemethis View Post
Ah, good ol' intuition.

Demonstrate how your intuition isn't linked to your accumulated knowledge & improve with deeper knowledge & applied experience in any given area. Oh & how often is your intuition wrong? What do you do when it is?

Just because decision making occurs quickly doesn't mean it isn't the result of applying what you've already observed, basing a hypothesis upon it & testing to see if it works. To claim otherwise is to suggest some kind of 'inspiration' inspired, what: randomly, divinely? (all questions above posed literally, not rhetorically, btw).

No I suggest again, you simply don't understand the scientific method well enough. Or you're refusing to budge from a philosophical position that you hold somewhat religiously.
@zygote I draw your attention to this post & the questions therein, which as I said were not rhetorical.
__________________
If we are puzzled by why the world is one way rather than some other way that it might have been, our puzzlement cannot be removed by supposing that the world is the way it is because God chose to make it that way. - Prof Graham Oppy
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:28 PM
Darwinsbulldog's Avatar
Darwinsbulldog Darwinsbulldog is online now
Science Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 10,655
Default Re: Why are we here?

Did someone mention the scientific method?

1. Don Lab coat
2. Make sure pocket protector is full of pencils, and a slide rule.
3. Have your scientific calculator in another pocket.
4. Put on glasses and look geeky.
5. Pray to Einstein and Darwin.
6. Write any nonsense, so long as it pisses off the devout.
7. Publish nonsense.
__________________
Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution--Theodosius Dobzhansky
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:15 PM
Meissner's Avatar
Meissner Meissner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Perth W.A.
Posts: 229
Default Re: Why are we here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwinsbulldog View Post
Did someone mention the scientific method?

1. Don Lab coat
2. Make sure pocket protector is full of pencils, and a slide rule.
3. Have your scientific calculator in another pocket.
4. Put on glasses and look geeky.
5. Pray to Einstein and Darwin.
6. Write any nonsense, so long as it pisses off the devout.
7. Publish nonsense.
lol, sadly enough thats how alot of theists sum it up
__________________
The unwillingness to change your mind or admit when you are wrong is the epitome of willful ignorance.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:55 PM
Mjt's Avatar
Mjt Mjt is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: rural
Posts: 3,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwinsbulldog View Post
Did someone mention the scientific method?

1. Don Lab coat
2. Make sure pocket protector is full of pencils, and a slide rule.
3. Have your scientific calculator in another pocket.
4. Put on glasses and look geeky.
5. Pray to Einstein and Darwin.
6. Write any nonsense, so long as it pisses off the devout.
7. Publish nonsense.
Puppy, you have again inspired me and I shall now become a sciencemathific person. I will write reams of nonsense and become a person of HIGH RENOUN, and be much admired.

If I can borrow a slide rule, some one nicked mine. Damn things are worse than iPhones, crooks will slit your throat for em.
We are here because we got lucky and the egg took, the pregnancy lasted and bang us. We will go on to have more little people who will ask "why are we here?" hoping for proof of some deep purpose.
And on it goes
__________________
Twisted Sister
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:03 PM
zygote zygote is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 75
Default Re: Why are we here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meissner View Post
How do you know what a brick is for unless you know where the mud to make it came from?
A brick has a known purpose, it was made by some person, we dont need to know who usually but that doesnt matter because we know it has a purpose and what that purpose is for.

We, matter and energy exist, unlike the brick we dont know why or even if we have a purpose. We think we spontaneously 'appeared' after something we term the big bang.

Were bricks unknown, and one spontaneously appeared, without apparant purpose, without clues to who or what created it I believe the scientific community would have as its primary questions, what is it, where did it come from and what is it for. Rather the opposite of the answers here, "we just are". Seems like more of a religious avoidant answer to me.
__________________
uneducated, middle class, white, male and proud of it
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:15 PM
Fearless's Avatar
Fearless Fearless is offline
Ehh?
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbournite
Posts: 5,231
Default Re: Why are we here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygote View Post
We think we spontaneously 'appeared' after something we term the big bang.
Interesting choice of words... you aren't discounting evolution I assume, you are just skipping over it rather brutally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygote View Post
Were bricks unknown, and one spontaneously appeared, without apparant purpose, without clues to who or what created it I believe the scientific community would have as its primary questions, what is it, where did it come from and what is it for. Rather the opposite of the answers here, "we just are". Seems like more of a religious avoidant answer to me.
What was your reasoning again (in a nutshell) as to why we were here?

I can only really say that we are just another stage in the evolutionary process, we procreate, our offspring live to survive and thrive and then we die leaving our offspring to continue the cycle. I can't see how we serve any other significant purpose.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:15 PM
zygote zygote is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 75
Default Re: Why are we here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
A brick is an artifact, Zyg.

Is a universe an artifact?
I cant answer that without knowing what existed or didnt exist before it came into existance. I could only assume, predict, guess, theorize, imagine, think, believe. . .
__________________
uneducated, middle class, white, male and proud of it
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:21 PM
zygote zygote is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 75
Default Re: Why are we here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Interesting choice of words... you aren't discounting evolution I assume, you are just skipping over it rather brutally?


What was your reasoning again (in a nutshell) as to why we were here?

I can only really say that we are just another stage in the evolutionary process, we procreate, our offspring live to survive and thrive and then we die leaving our offspring to continue the cycle. I can't see how we serve any other significant purpose.
I was using We in the sense we are made of energy and particals.

My reasoning in my very first post was we cant say until we know where we came from(prior to big bang) whether we were designed, 'we' again in cosmic sense, or not. And then went on to say probably not designed due to predestiny and lack of randomness.
__________________
uneducated, middle class, white, male and proud of it

Last edited by zygote; 2nd May 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.