Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 30th April 2012, 09:44 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Christian forum

I can't see any way in which you will have any progress. You know full well that no one is going to be able to make an argument that will change your mind or convince you that god does exist and Jesus was/is his/her/its son etc.

From what I can see, the only reason you would have to go on there and ask for reasons to be convinced to convert to Christianity is because you know they won't be able to give you any reasons. Which is not all that different from a Christian coming on here and refusing to adhere to logic and rationality, you in turn won't be adhering to core Christian ideals like the necessity of faith. It may seem to you and I that there is a distinction between faith and logic but I doubt they will see it that way and will think of you as a troll, much like we do with Christians who come on here.
Old 30th April 2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
I can't see any way in which you will have any progress. You know full well that no one is going to be able to make an argument that will change your mind or convince you that god does exist and Jesus was/is his/her/its son etc.

From what I can see, the only reason you would have to go on there and ask for reasons to be convinced to convert to Christianity is because you know they won't be able to give you any reasons. Which is not all that different from a Christian coming on here and refusing to adhere to logic and rationality, you in turn won't be adhering to core Christian ideals like the necessity of faith. It may seem to you and I that there is a distinction between faith and logic but I doubt they will see it that way and will think of you as a troll, much like we do with Christians who come on here.
I don't see it that way, I'm very interested in what they have to say and I'm willing to hear them out.

Also, I'll be looking for the Apologists who claim they don't need faith, THAT is something I want to know about.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens
Old 30th April 2012, 10:25 PM
Where the umbudsman can't get me

btw don't let me dampen your enthusiasm. One ought just manage one's expectations.

You want respectful discourse? Learn how to fucking discourse.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meissner View Post
MOAR!!!!!!
Sounds like you may have found at least one moderate, you may get some decent conversation out of that one. I don't hold much hope for the rest.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:21 AM

I just went over there for a look. I felt that I had to join purely because of the recovery section.

Idiots saying the power of prayer will help victims of sexual abuse is just plain stupid, arrogant and dangerous.

Get this
Quote:
There is specifically Christian input through sensitive but authoritative prayer that can deal with the inner depths of abuse
As a victim of child sexual abuse and a former IV drug addict I think I have a fairly good grasp of the problems that are presented to these people. Prayer will not help.

I wonder if "authoritative prayer" is what the catholic priests used on their child victims
Old 1st May 2012, 12:09 PM

Thanks AndyP, good to have another friend onboard

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens
Old 1st May 2012, 12:10 PM

Theres ALOT of off limits sections to the forums, I'm not allowed to post in the apologetics section as I'm not christian, wtf? do they seriously only want to talk to people who agree with them?

Old 1st May 2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Theres ALOT of off limits sections to the forums, I'm not allowed to post in the apologetics section as I'm not christian, wtf? do they seriously only want to talk to people who agree with them?
most likely yes.
Old 1st May 2012, 01:10 PM
Gone surfin

Quote:
do they seriously only want to talk to people who agree with them?
Yes.
If you question the existence of their god they will suspend your account or edit your posts and send you a warning. If some dickwad like Borntowatch makes death threats against you, the thread will be excised to prevent Christianity from looking like a large sack of douches.
It is a frustrating part of the internet to hang out but you can learn a lot from the interactions you have there. Not fun stuff to know, but handy when dealing with theists who don't have the luxury of "erase entire conversation" buttons in the real world.
I was going to write "have fun" but I doubt that will be the case.
Have.
Matt
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:04 AM
AFA Member

Awhile ago I hit lots and lots of church sites trying to do some research. I asked them all the same question , what does heaven look like. Despite asking over and over the only two who ever answered were the church of body modification and the church of Satan. Most just blocked me, others just ignored me. So good luck.