Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #211  
Old 30th April 2012, 09:44 PM
Rhys's Avatar
Rhys Rhys is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,257
Default Re: Christian forum

I can't see any way in which you will have any progress. You know full well that no one is going to be able to make an argument that will change your mind or convince you that god does exist and Jesus was/is his/her/its son etc.

From what I can see, the only reason you would have to go on there and ask for reasons to be convinced to convert to Christianity is because you know they won't be able to give you any reasons. Which is not all that different from a Christian coming on here and refusing to adhere to logic and rationality, you in turn won't be adhering to core Christian ideals like the necessity of faith. It may seem to you and I that there is a distinction between faith and logic but I doubt they will see it that way and will think of you as a troll, much like we do with Christians who come on here.
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 30th April 2012, 09:52 PM
Meissner's Avatar
Meissner Meissner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Perth W.A.
Posts: 229
Default Re: Christian forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
I can't see any way in which you will have any progress. You know full well that no one is going to be able to make an argument that will change your mind or convince you that god does exist and Jesus was/is his/her/its son etc.

From what I can see, the only reason you would have to go on there and ask for reasons to be convinced to convert to Christianity is because you know they won't be able to give you any reasons. Which is not all that different from a Christian coming on here and refusing to adhere to logic and rationality, you in turn won't be adhering to core Christian ideals like the necessity of faith. It may seem to you and I that there is a distinction between faith and logic but I doubt they will see it that way and will think of you as a troll, much like we do with Christians who come on here.
I don't see it that way, I'm very interested in what they have to say and I'm willing to hear them out.

Also, I'll be looking for the Apologists who claim they don't need faith, THAT is something I want to know about.
__________________
The unwillingness to change your mind or admit when you are wrong is the epitome of willful ignorance.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 30th April 2012, 10:25 PM
wearestardust's Avatar
wearestardust wearestardust is offline
Where the umbudsman can't get me
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: not telling
Posts: 6,576
Default Re: Christian forum

btw don't let me dampen your enthusiasm. One ought just manage one's expectations.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmane View Post

You want respectful discourse? Learn how to fucking discourse.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 1st May 2012, 06:49 AM
dilbadoon dilbadoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,668
Default Re: Christian forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meissner View Post
MOAR!!!!!!
Sounds like you may have found at least one moderate, you may get some decent conversation out of that one. I don't hold much hope for the rest.
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 1st May 2012, 10:21 AM
AndyP AndyP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 349
Default Re: Christian forum

I just went over there for a look. I felt that I had to join purely because of the recovery section.

Idiots saying the power of prayer will help victims of sexual abuse is just plain stupid, arrogant and dangerous.

Get this
Quote:
There is specifically Christian input through sensitive but authoritative prayer that can deal with the inner depths of abuse
As a victim of child sexual abuse and a former IV drug addict I think I have a fairly good grasp of the problems that are presented to these people. Prayer will not help.

I wonder if "authoritative prayer" is what the catholic priests used on their child victims
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 1st May 2012, 12:09 PM
Meissner's Avatar
Meissner Meissner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Perth W.A.
Posts: 229
Default Re: Christian forum

Thanks AndyP, good to have another friend onboard
__________________
The unwillingness to change your mind or admit when you are wrong is the epitome of willful ignorance.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 1st May 2012, 12:10 PM
Meissner's Avatar
Meissner Meissner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Perth W.A.
Posts: 229
Default Re: Christian forum

Theres ALOT of off limits sections to the forums, I'm not allowed to post in the apologetics section as I'm not christian, wtf? do they seriously only want to talk to people who agree with them?
__________________
The unwillingness to change your mind or admit when you are wrong is the epitome of willful ignorance.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 1st May 2012, 01:07 PM
dilbadoon dilbadoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,668
Default Re: Christian forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meissner View Post
Theres ALOT of off limits sections to the forums, I'm not allowed to post in the apologetics section as I'm not christian, wtf? do they seriously only want to talk to people who agree with them?
most likely yes.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 1st May 2012, 01:10 PM
Worldslaziestbusker's Avatar
Worldslaziestbusker Worldslaziestbusker is offline
Gone surfin
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: By the sea (I do like it)
Posts: 3,652
Default Re: Christian forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meissner View Post
do they seriously only want to talk to people who agree with them?
Yes.
If you question the existence of their god they will suspend your account or edit your posts and send you a warning. If some dickwad like Borntowatch makes death threats against you, the thread will be excised to prevent Christianity from looking like a large sack of douches.
It is a frustrating part of the internet to hang out but you can learn a lot from the interactions you have there. Not fun stuff to know, but handy when dealing with theists who don't have the luxury of "erase entire conversation" buttons in the real world.
I was going to write "have fun" but I doubt that will be the case.
Have.
Matt
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:04 AM
Mjt's Avatar
Mjt Mjt is online now
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: rural
Posts: 3,493
Default

Awhile ago I hit lots and lots of church sites trying to do some research. I asked them all the same question , what does heaven look like. Despite asking over and over the only two who ever answered were the church of body modification and the church of Satan. Most just blocked me, others just ignored me. So good luck.
__________________
Twisted Sister
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.