Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 29th April 2012, 12:02 PM

Default Now is not the time.

I just need to rant a little bit.

My Pop had a stroke on ANZAC day, and another one Friday morning and is not in a good way. I've been talking with Gran, offering my support and reminding her that she has a family beyond him and that she is loved and she came out with this (paraphrased):

"I've been praying whether to get another dog and I felt I got a clear answer so went to see a puppy and, it's a miracle, a REAL miracle, this puppy is the great grand-daugther of my Peppy...
(silence from me)
...are you still there?"

So, your husband is in hospital, is not coming home and THIS coincidence is your miracle? I just kept repeating to my self, "Now is not the time, now is not the time..."

Old 29th April 2012, 12:33 PM
Shocking. A real surprise

Sorry to here about your grandfather FA, as for your grandmother, I am lost for words.
Old 29th April 2012, 01:25 PM
AFA Member

So sorry to hear about your grandfather. Sometimes when having to face realities like this people can find it just to painful and frightening. Being an ostrich sometimes can be a defense mechanism ( I've done it myself) when the alternative is just too hard to think of. You gran is lucky to have a loving grandchild like you and a family around her. She will need you all.
Old 29th April 2012, 04:44 PM
On my mission today...

Default Re: Now is not the time.

Yes, now is not the time. There is a world of emotional pain in that story.

And what a great miracle that the story should bring us the image of a little blue fish burying its head in the sand. Priceless.
Old 30th April 2012, 07:57 AM

Thank you for your kind words, my family is well aware of my non-belief and I don't intend to bring it up now. Just need somewhere to vent occasionally.

I'm expecting a lot of "he'll be with Jesus" stuff and that's frustrating talk about a man who tolerated his wife's faith without sharing it.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:10 AM
fataardvark
This message has been deleted by The Irreverent Mr Black. Reason: Duplicate.
Old 30th April 2012, 04:09 PM
Bent crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fataardvark View Post
Thank you for your kind words, my family is well aware of my non-belief and I don't intend to bring it up now. Just need somewhere to vent occasionally.

I'm expecting a lot of "he'll be with Jesus" stuff and that's frustrating talk about a man who tolerated his wife's faith without sharing it.
Yes, I rather suspect a "No, he'll be in hell - that's what your doctrine teaches" wouldn't go down so well at this point.

Much sympathy for your situation, FA. My grandfather had a stroke recently too - it's hard enough to bear without people around you grasping at false comforts. At least my family are pretty much all atheists. Take care, and feel free to vent whenever necessary.
Old 6th May 2012, 01:48 PM

Feel sorry for your Grandad and Grandma. Been there and done that. Now he'll be stuck on that bloody warfarin. Horrible shyte that one.