Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an Atheist

Ask an Atheist Want to know Atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the Atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 25th April 2012, 10:59 AM
wearestardust's Avatar
wearestardust wearestardust is offline
purveyor of agitprop
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canberra
Posts: 5,901
Default Re: Symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMonk View Post
Yeah but I think for Jerry it's more than that. I have a celtic tattoo on my right arm, it doesn't really mean anything, I just like it. If I needed it to give me internal motivation then I think a) it wouldn't last and b) why can't I get my motivation from inside?
Of course, expressing such views in a discussion of aesthetics and preferences is just another expression of aesthetics and preferences and of limited additional persuasive force after being expressed once.

I hope you don't mind if I observe that you seem to be a bit doth protesting.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptick View Post
This paper only shows that for every piece of literary junk, there’ll be a junk journal somewhere willing to publish it. Shame on you for claiming this as evidence to support your argument.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 25th April 2012, 12:29 PM
ClayMonk's Avatar
ClayMonk ClayMonk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 452
Default Re: Symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearestardust View Post
Of course, expressing such views in a discussion of aesthetics and preferences is just another expression of aesthetics and preferences and of limited additional persuasive force after being expressed once.

I hope you don't mind if I observe that you seem to be a bit doth protesting.
I'm more asking Jerry the motivation and worth of getting a symbol tattoo to get "strength" from, than expressing a view on it. I really don't know if it's healthy one way or another but I'm interested to know the "why" and explore it further, if he wants, if he doesn't want to then he can just tell me to get fucked.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 25th April 2012, 12:36 PM
Fearless's Avatar
Fearless Fearless is offline
Ehh?
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbournite
Posts: 5,231
Default Re: Symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMonk View Post
if he doesn't want to then he can just tell me to get fucked.
I'd hope not
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 25th April 2012, 01:33 PM
Voltairine's Avatar
Voltairine Voltairine is offline
And, of course, a-t-h-e-i-s-t
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,229
Default Re: Symbols

I don't care much for tattoos and I certainly don't put weight on symbols. People put too much emphasis on them that it gets stupid - moon the Greek flag in Greece and go to jail. It's a fucking piece of cloth!

However, if I ever got a tattoo it would be a single blue pixel... yes Sagan's pale blue dot; the pale blue dot that encompasses all of humanity.

An idea of what said tattoo would look like: .

And if I had it on my arse, I could moon the Earth.

__________________
......
I have no problem sharing a common ancestor with the apes; it's being related to some people that bothers me.
- Ms Volts

I'm not a scientist, I'm what you might call an informal cheerleader. - Bill Bryson

Last edited by Voltairine; 25th April 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 25th April 2012, 02:19 PM
two dogs's Avatar
two dogs two dogs is offline
the Odd Couple
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shell Cove, NSW
Posts: 5,559
Default Re: Symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltairine View Post
...
However, if I ever got a tattoo it would be a single blue pixel... yes Sagan's pale blue dot; the pale blue dot that encompasses all of humanity.
...
I've got three tattoos just like that! (as a result of "mark up" to assist with alignment for radiotherapy).
__________________
"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ..."

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 25th April 2012, 03:53 PM
Voltairine's Avatar
Voltairine Voltairine is offline
And, of course, a-t-h-e-i-s-t
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,229
Default Re: Symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dogs View Post
I've got three tattoos just like that! (as a result of "mark up" to assist with alignment for radiotherapy).
Another one could screw things up! (unless they are now for decorative purposes only, yes?)
__________________
......
I have no problem sharing a common ancestor with the apes; it's being related to some people that bothers me.
- Ms Volts

I'm not a scientist, I'm what you might call an informal cheerleader. - Bill Bryson
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 25th April 2012, 04:11 PM
two dogs's Avatar
two dogs two dogs is offline
the Odd Couple
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shell Cove, NSW
Posts: 5,559
Default Re: Symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltairine View Post
Another one could screw things up! (unless they are now for decorative purposes only, yes?)
Yes, it's been two years since the radiotherapy.
__________________
"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ..."

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 25th April 2012, 04:16 PM
Voltairine's Avatar
Voltairine Voltairine is offline
And, of course, a-t-h-e-i-s-t
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,229
Default Re: Symbols

Well, I'm very glad you went with science instead of going down the coffee enema (et al) path.
__________________
......
I have no problem sharing a common ancestor with the apes; it's being related to some people that bothers me.
- Ms Volts

I'm not a scientist, I'm what you might call an informal cheerleader. - Bill Bryson
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 25th April 2012, 07:31 PM
Mjt's Avatar
Mjt Mjt is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: rural
Posts: 2,988
Default

I have a rather large tattoo. An octopus surrounded by Japanese style waves. Why.?
Cos I like it. People have given it all sorts of symbolic meanings from calm and tranquility to sexual dominance. Go figure. Most of the time these days I forget it's there, so it would be as useless as tits on a bull for motivation. One thing I will never forget about it though.
Hurt like a bitch. So make sure of what you want, get it drawn up the way you want it, and use a tattoo artist you trust.
Whichever way you go someone will put their own twist on your ink.
Have you thought if using your kids initials? Then it really is just for you
__________________
Twisted Sister
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.