Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an Atheist

Ask an Atheist Want to know Atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the Atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 25th April 2012, 10:59 AM
Where the umbudsman can't get me

Default Re: Symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMonk View Post
Yeah but I think for Jerry it's more than that. I have a celtic tattoo on my right arm, it doesn't really mean anything, I just like it. If I needed it to give me internal motivation then I think a) it wouldn't last and b) why can't I get my motivation from inside?
Of course, expressing such views in a discussion of aesthetics and preferences is just another expression of aesthetics and preferences and of limited additional persuasive force after being expressed once.

I hope you don't mind if I observe that you seem to be a bit doth protesting.

You want respectful discourse? Learn how to fucking discourse.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearestardust View Post
Of course, expressing such views in a discussion of aesthetics and preferences is just another expression of aesthetics and preferences and of limited additional persuasive force after being expressed once.

I hope you don't mind if I observe that you seem to be a bit doth protesting.
I'm more asking Jerry the motivation and worth of getting a symbol tattoo to get "strength" from, than expressing a view on it. I really don't know if it's healthy one way or another but I'm interested to know the "why" and explore it further, if he wants, if he doesn't want to then he can just tell me to get fucked.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:36 PM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMonk View Post
if he doesn't want to then he can just tell me to get fucked.
I'd hope not
Old 25th April 2012, 01:33 PM
And, of course, a-t-h-e-i-s-t

I don't care much for tattoos and I certainly don't put weight on symbols. People put too much emphasis on them that it gets stupid - moon the Greek flag in Greece and go to jail. It's a fucking piece of cloth!

However, if I ever got a tattoo it would be a single blue pixel... yes Sagan's pale blue dot; the pale blue dot that encompasses all of humanity.

An idea of what said tattoo would look like: .

And if I had it on my arse, I could moon the Earth.

I'm not a scientist, I'm what you might call an informal cheerleader. - Bill Bryson

Last edited by Voltairine; 25th April 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 25th April 2012, 02:19 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltairine View Post
However, if I ever got a tattoo it would be a single blue pixel... yes Sagan's pale blue dot; the pale blue dot that encompasses all of humanity.
I've got three tattoos just like that! (as a result of "mark up" to assist with alignment for radiotherapy).

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
Old 25th April 2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dogs View Post
I've got three tattoos just like that! (as a result of "mark up" to assist with alignment for radiotherapy).
Another one could screw things up! (unless they are now for decorative purposes only, yes?)

I'm not a scientist, I'm what you might call an informal cheerleader. - Bill Bryson
Old 25th April 2012, 04:11 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltairine View Post
Another one could screw things up! (unless they are now for decorative purposes only, yes?)
Yes, it's been two years since the radiotherapy.

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
Old 25th April 2012, 04:16 PM

Well, I'm very glad you went with science instead of going down the coffee enema (et al) path.

Old 25th April 2012, 07:31 PM
AFA Member

I have a rather large tattoo. An octopus surrounded by Japanese style waves. Why.?
Cos I like it. People have given it all sorts of symbolic meanings from calm and tranquility to sexual dominance. Go figure. Most of the time these days I forget it's there, so it would be as useless as tits on a bull for motivation. One thing I will never forget about it though.
Hurt like a bitch. So make sure of what you want, get it drawn up the way you want it, and use a tattoo artist you trust.
Whichever way you go someone will put their own twist on your ink.
Have you thought if using your kids initials? Then it really is just for you