Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 24th April 2012, 08:06 PM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcrazi View Post
anyone notice that on facebook if you want to type in atheist you have to put it under the 'religion' category. I have left mine blank in protest
That's pretty normal, even in bookshops you can find the same.

I don't mind people seeing that I am an atheist on Facebook, in fact I'm proud
Old 24th April 2012, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Atheism is a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcrazi View Post
anyone notice that on facebook if you want to type in atheist you have to put it under the 'religion' category. I have left mine blank in protest
Which do you think is more important - to stand up and be counted, or to take some kind of protest at something which most people will ignore, anyway? It can be argued that choosing "Atheist" in the drop down box for religion might denote "no religion", rather than "atheism being a religion".
Old 24th April 2012, 08:27 PM

LOL anyone on my facebook page is in no doubt of where i stand
Old 29th April 2012, 12:26 PM

Well, I think we have to be careful that we don't turn atheism into a religion.

What's the definition of religion? Here is Wikipedia's first line:

"Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values"

I think we could bend atheism to fit into this definition. The only word that I have a problem with is "spirituality" - to me that means some sort of mystical force. But many people interpret that word differently to me, for some people it means a connection with nature.

So, I would say, it all depens on your definition.
Old 29th April 2012, 02:30 PM
Extant

Wikipedia is not my dictionary and even if it were, to fit that "definition" then atheism would be pretty fucking bent.
Old 29th April 2012, 03:30 PM
I AM YOUR DOG

Atheism is not a lens for looking at the world it is an answer to a single question (at least from my perspective).
The question of "is there a god or gods?" I ask this then fill the hopper of the critical thinking and reasoning faculty between my ears with as much info as I can find, crank the metaphoric handle a couple of times (I am currently in the process of upgrading the equipment but it will take a lifetime ) and out plops my answer. No evidence therefore atheism, subject to change on future input. That's where it ends, it says nothing about one of the most closely related questions "can I ever know?". Fill the hopper crank the handle and out plops that answer. Doesn't look good therefore agnostic.
Do you see where I'm going? No belief system, no cultural system, no morality system comes from the answer atheist, it is an end result of my reasoning on a single issue. Good luck trying to build a religion out of that.
I do share common ground with others here not from the fictitious lens of atheism but from the method of achieving that answer ie science, reason and critical thinking, oh yes and beer
Old 29th April 2012, 08:03 PM

AUSloth said it perfectly, atheism is the result of the answer some people give to one question, "Do you believe god(s) exists?" if the answer is yes, you are a theist, anything else, including "I don't know" you are an atheist. That is the best way I've found to explain it to people who say "it's a belief system" or anything ridiculous like that.

Edit: BTW AUSloth, theism/atheism=belief, Gnostic/Agnostic=knowledge, not sure if you were confused about that or not, feel free to flame if you feel I'm being arrogant

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way" Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by Meissner; 29th April 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:23 PM

To unstandardised why they see it as this (a religion) you have to look at Atheism through their eyes.

All they know is religion so Their view is any group that has a alternative view to theirs is an opposing religion.

In other words they have a different definition of what religion is to what the atheist communities definition is.

They see a group of people meeting up to discuss a topic about what they centred their world view on, (so they see that Atheists have a different world view) and every other religion has a different world view to them so there for Atheism is a religion.

In my opinion that's the reasoning of a child.

What they fail to grasp is that All atheism is the doubt that there is a god ( no evidenced or one) that's all.

Every other ideology or stance that that individual person (Atheist) has is based on the experience and the knowledge of THAT individual.

It is not based on a central book that answers everything or tells you how to live, that's why the Atheist community is so diverse from all walks of life and each one has there own world views and ideas which they are willing to discuss and CHANGE if evidence is presented to contradict that particular idea.

This are some of the reasons I like being around Atheists, the intellectual stimulation and the ever continuing process of improving myself and my world view.
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:23 PM

Sorry for the long post.

I am a little drunk while writing this.
Old 3rd May 2012, 06:43 AM
Up there for thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_Madej View Post
I am a little drunk while writing this.
I can tell by the autocorrect issues in your recent posts.

i sent this from my iPad
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens