Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 16th April 2012, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Congratulations to all GAC organisers

Quote:
Praxis said View Post
A seriously impressive three days. I'm sure my IQ has gone up a bit (and would have been more but I killed many brain cells with alcohol... ).
Don't worry, it's only the slower brain cells that the alcohol catches and kills, at least I think that's how the buffalo theory goes .
“I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours” – Stephen Roberts
Old 16th April 2012, 05:29 PM
AFA Member

Fanfucking tastic conf. I add my thanks and congratulations for a conference excellently planned and executed.
Old 16th April 2012, 10:34 PM

Thumbs up Re: Congratulations to all GAC organisers

To everyone who was involved in making the GAC2012 happen I thank you all a quizillion times over.
I had a fantastic time, my brain hurts, but f@#k it feels good!
Now at home sitting on my lounge still wearing a huge silly grin that started the second I realised Richard Dawkins was standing right in front of me at the Friday night drinks!
Thanks you so much for this event, I am very very appreciative of the effort you have all put into it.
Such work it must have taken! It all ran so smoothly and seamlessly.
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!
Old 17th April 2012, 03:48 PM

Adding my thanks to all the organisers and anyone else involved in running the 2012 GAC. To sum the 3 days up, including the Gala Dinner: It was nothing less than an amazing experience.

I'm looking forward to attending many, many more GACs and bringing my wife and our sons along as well. It will become a regular family event.
"If one must have faith in order to believe something, or believe in something, then the likelihood of that something having any truth or value is considerably diminished." - Hitchens, God Is Not Great 2007
Old 17th April 2012, 10:43 PM

I'd like to add my thanks to all the organisers, not just David Nicholls whom I chanced to thank in person when I crossed paths but not streams with him in the gents.
I'd also like to add special thanks for bunging the Christopher Hitchens tribute video onto YouTube so quickly, being able to watch him in action at will makes me think about death. No conclusions reached mind you, but it makes me happy to be alive in 2012 and not earlier when the only sensory reminder of a great person you wished to remember would have been a giant pyramidal pile of rocks just out of town or a slowly rotting skull on a rock shelf or something.

Old 18th April 2012, 01:23 AM
AFA Member

Adding another well done to the organisers... it was a great well run event!

MCEC itself is a fantastic venue... I was down there three weeks previously for another conference and I have to say it's really well set up. The other conference had professional conference organisers running it and while they may have added an extra touch of slick (eg. all the electronic signs were branded as part of the conference and not generic MCEC visuals), the GAC was run just as smoothly and seamlessly. You guys also chose WAY better food!

I also wanted to say that I think security did a great job of quietly keeping things calm with the protestors outside in a fairly unobtrusive way... particularly with the massive crowd of us outside at lunchtime on Sunday.
Old 19th April 2012, 09:49 PM
AFA Member

Thumbs up Re: Congratulations to all GAC organisers

I agree wholeheartedly. Exceptionally well run event, great venue (and great and plentiful food), interesting speakers and well done to all the volunteers.

Old 19th April 2012, 10:06 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

PZ Myers gives the GAC organisers a thumbs-up here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngu...nvention-2012/
Old 21st April 2012, 10:59 PM
AFA Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you. To all the organiser's of the GAC and to the AFA, for such a wonderful weekend. I know you must have worked your collective arses off to produce such a fantastic event. Please organise another, I've already had a number of others express interest if it's done again. If you do:

"We're gonna' need a bigger boat"
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:09 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
pedrointas said View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. To all the organiser's of the GAC and to the AFA, for such a wonderful weekend. I know you must have worked your collective arses off to produce such a fantastic event. Please organise another, I've already had a number of others express interest if it's done again. If you do:

"We're gonna' need a bigger boat"
What are u tryin' to do? Kill them?