Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 18th April 2012, 10:33 AM
Raptured!

Default Re: What are you reading AFTER the GAC?

I've started on "The Good Atheist" by Dan Barker.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post

I'm also rather keen to get hold of a transcript of Leslie Cannold's GAC talk which I found fantastic and I want to have the references she made to why s.116 of our Constitution really means nothing and that Australia doesn't really have a separation of church and state at all.
Have a read of The Purple Economy by Max Wallace. It's where Leslie got some of her data from
http://embiggenbooks.com/the-purple-...the-state.html
It's not the easiest book to read or the best ever written, but very interesting
Old 18th April 2012, 10:58 AM

I bought The Australian Book of Atheism from Embiggen bookshop. Interesting so far, but as with any collection of essays there are good ones and not so good ones

http://embiggenbooks.com/australian-...heism-the.html
Old 18th April 2012, 12:09 PM

I've tried to take on board some of the messages I heard, from Cannold and Myers and Harris. Consequently I've briefly stopped reading. I'm now writing.
Old 19th April 2012, 01:13 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Last night I started Lawrence Krauss's biog of Richard Feynman "Quantum Man", which Loki most unexpectedly and very kindly bought me as a gift at the GAC because I had been saying the night before how I wanted to know more about Feynman.
A very good idea I've read that one. I can also recommend Richard's own books "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! Adventures of a Curious Character", "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" and "What do You Care What Other People think" these are all excellent books; very informative, funny, touching and even heart breaking at times.
Old 19th April 2012, 04:15 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
I've started on "The Good Atheist" by Dan Barker.
Any impression of this book yet, either from you or anyone else who has read it?

I had a quick glance through it but it didn't immediately grab me, but it is hard to judge a book from a quick thumb through.

Old 20th April 2012, 10:42 AM
Science Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDRMike View Post
A very good idea I've read that one. I can also recommend Richard's own books "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! Adventures of a Curious Character", "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" and "What do You Care What Other People think" these are all excellent books; very informative, funny, touching and even heart breaking at times.
The very short book "Six Easy Pieces" and the sequel "Six Not So Easy Pieces" followed by "QED" may not make one into a physicist, but a well informed layperson, and these three books are a fine demonstration of the teaching talent of Richard Feynman that made him just as renowned as his talent to do original and important science.
Old 20th April 2012, 04:56 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwinsbulldog View Post
The very short book "Six Easy Pieces" and the sequel "Six Not So Easy Pieces" followed by "QED" may not make one into a physicist, but a well informed layperson, and these three books are a fine demonstration of the teaching talent of Richard Feynman that made him just as renowned as his talent to do original and important science.
I can also recommend the Feynman Lectures although I've only listened to the first 2/3 of them as other commitments caused me to stop. Also it was starting to get heaving going at this point too. Thanks for the heads up on the other books. Feynman also gives some great advice on things such as others expectations of you. Thanks Richard for that advice alone would make you worth a Nobel prize IMNSHO.
Old 20th April 2012, 07:05 PM

I've bitten the bullet and am reading Arguably by Hitchens, which I think is the only easily acquirable Hitchens book I haven't read, but I realised when I got my copy (prior to the GAC) that I'd read a large percentage of the essays inside, which is why I put off reading it. I usually read books cover to cover though, and I'll do that with this too. Much of the writing deserves a second reading anyway. I say that I've bitten the bullet, because it's big, and I'm in the middle of two other big books (Cancer Ward and The Red Queen), but after the GAC I felt inspired to read more Hitch.
Old 20th April 2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkonos View Post
I already have way too many books to read atm, so I'll be using this page to source new books.

I am keen to read The Moral Landscape, as I've been unable to go near any books as of late.
I've actually decided to read Oliver Sacks' "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat"