Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to religion, atheism and woo.
NB: Off topic posts may be deleted or relocated without warning.

Old 16th April 2012, 11:26 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Doctor barred for doing male snip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I think Sieveboy has it. I accept that a hospital can not compel a doctor to act against his or her conscience. I do not accept that a hospital can contractually withhold legal services offerable by a doctor within the extent of their facilities.
Agreed, and in this case they are. While there is the valid point that you can't force a doctor to perform a procedure against his ethics or conscience, whether religiously or seculalry sourced, it also stands that you can't compel a doctor to withhold services that he believes are correct. For instance if you were a doctor in a Jehovah's Witness run hospital and believed that the only hope for survival of a child was a blood transfusion could you, as a doctor, continue to work there if the child died, knowing that you could have saved that childs life with a simple procedure? I certianly couldn't, fortunately I am not a doctor therefore not in that position.

It cuts both ways, hospital management should not be in a position to tell a doctor what they can and can't do. If the hospital doesn't provide facilities fair enough, if the facilities are available then its up the doctor to decide whether or not to use them for whatever procedure he deems necessary.
Old 16th April 2012, 07:02 PM

I saw this article and was absolutley gobsmacked. I just finished reading 'Attack of the Theocrats' and like most aussies thought 'Thank god I live in Australia!' It seems to me if these institutions were disconnected from the public purse they would fall on their asses.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:59 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrooks View Post
While there is the valid point that you can't force a doctor to perform a procedure against his ethics or conscience, whether religiously or seculalry sourced, it also stands that you can't compel a doctor to withhold services that he believes are correct. For instance if you were a doctor in a Jehovah's Witness run hospital and believed that the only hope for survival of a child was a blood transfusion could you, as a doctor, continue to work there if the child died, knowing that you could have saved that childs life with a simple procedure?
While it may seem reasonable that a doctor shouldn't be forced to perform a procedure that he finds morally objectionable there are potentially significant implications of this. I think we could probably agree that forcing a devoutly catholic doctor to perform an elective abortion would be inappropriate (and most likely there would be other doctors that the patient could turn to anyway).

So here comes the crunch.......what if a person arrived at a small country hospital where there was only one doctor available at the time. The patient is in urgent need of a blood transfusion and death is certain without it. However the doctor is a Jehovah's Witness. Does he/she have the right to not perform a simple life saving procedure based on his/her personal religious beliefs? If the patient were to die due to refusal by the doctor to give a blood transfusion how would we view that morally, legally, professionally? (True, this is an unlikely scenario but it is the ethical issue that is important here)

Old 16th April 2012, 09:49 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
So here comes the crunch.......what if a person arrived at a small country hospital where there was only one doctor available at the time. The patient is in urgent need of a blood transfusion and death is certain without it. However the doctor is a Jehovah's Witness. Does he/she have the right to not perform a simple life saving procedure based on his/her personal religious beliefs? If the patient were to die due to refusal by the doctor to give a blood transfusion how would we view that morally, legally, professionally? (True, this is an unlikely scenario but it is the ethical issue that is important here)
I think you'll find that legally, the doc gets charged. Life saving transfusion trumps personal views.

If you're a doctor and you have a religious objection to something in medicine, then why sign up for the gig in the first place? Choose accounting! I don't buy that you can cop out for personal beliefs, including religious beliefs (and I share your profession).

This is why my wife thinks I am an "antagonistic" atheist, she doesn't quite grasp the layers of religion in all parts of our supposedly secular bureaucracy, and why its increasingly making me angry to confront this tripe
Old 21st April 2012, 09:09 PM

Where does it say in the bible that birth control is forbidden??
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuanui View Post
It doesn't. The lying wretch that calls himself a pope pretends it says that, because he wants AIDS to spread across the globe.
Old 22nd April 2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuanui View Post
I seem to remember a passage where Abraham pisses god off by 'spilling his seed' withdrawing prematurely.
Old 22nd April 2012, 08:07 AM
Raptured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpostie View Post
I seem to remember a passage where Abraham pisses god off by 'spilling his seed' withdrawing prematurely.
Geez, what as asshole of a god. Abraham could have just waited a few hours, or a day, and tried again. You can't even withdraw your dick without this creepy-ass god sticking his nose in.
Old 22nd April 2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpostie View Post
I think it was Onan (whoever he was). It is from him we get the word 'Onanism' for masturbation.

Arguably,contraception may not have be a good common practice a couple of thousand years ago. Especially if one belonged to a small bribe in constant danger of being murdered by your neighbors,who fancied your goats and your women.

The problem with dogma is that it is inflexible to the point of stupidity.
Old 22nd April 2012, 05:18 PM
On my mission today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
Geez, what as asshole of a god. Abraham could have just waited a few hours, or a day, and tried again. You can't even withdraw your dick without this creepy-ass god sticking his nose in.
Well I hope is nose is big enough to satisfy. Or doesn't size matter?