Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 14th April 2012, 10:53 PM
-

Default RMS Titanic

As it is the 100th anniversary for the sinking of the RMS Titanic (I think) I thought it would be a good idea to compare it with something we all know of, as Noah's Ark.

1. Titanic = Invert Selection?
Note, on Noah's Ark, the occupants in it survived, while everything else was wiped away in the flood.

2. Steel vs Wood
Apparently somehow by magic, the occupants on Noah's Ark were able to fit without exceeding the weight limitations of it, and was able to float without a care despite the huge storms. Not so for the Titanic. But, how was this possible?

Also, I understand that termites like wood.

3. Luxury
I'd pick the RMS Titanic any time. Fantastic stuff it had. Gyms, pools, dining rooms, they had the lot going.

4. The brave people in charge?
Apparently, Noah was some age-old fellow who looked like he had his life going all well for him and shit. Of course, the real head commander of this hocus-pocus ark who was in charge of him (a very unusual hierarky) couldn't give a shit, blamed all his problems on others, and took his anger out on everybody. Apparently he still does this according to christians, who also believe he is loving and just.

The captain of the RMS. Titanic, Edward John Smith, was courageous enough to go down with the ship. Now that is a sacrifice.

And here be some footage for ye all:

Between you and me, even I don't know whether it is really "original" or "rare" but it is definitely footage of some sort.

On a closing note; I wonder how many Abrahamic theists were on board.

Last edited by Sir Patrick Crocodile; 14th April 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 14th April 2012, 10:58 PM
-

Default Re: RMS Titanic

Indeed that question is quite difficult. Problem is I am not sure how many members were in the band, or what type of music they played, so the answer is either 0 or something else.
Old 15th April 2012, 10:07 AM

There is a popular story that the ship's band/salvos played "Nearer My God To Thee" as the ship sank.

I have no idea if that is true. If it is it is,I hope a sane passenger attacked them with a fire axe.

PS there have been several far better films than that dreck with Di Caprio and what's her name,featuring a soundtrack of two cats being drowned in a sack.

Two of the better movies are: " A Night To Remember" (1958) and "SOS Titanic".(1979)

Last edited by Seamus; 15th April 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 15th April 2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
@Seamus: They may as well have played something to soothe the populace: there wasn't much could be done about their probable status in a few hours' time.

Of course. I was just empathising. I would have been running around in circles hysterically. Killing someone irritating would have calmed me down. Or not.
Old 15th April 2012, 04:02 PM
Extant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Of course. I was just empathising. I would have been running around in circles hysterically. Killing someone irritating would have calmed me down. Or not.
I know what you mean.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:01 PM

I know a fair bit about the Titanic... even some of the "supernatural ties".

The Titanic's number is 406063. Its underwater reflection?
It somewhat spells out the name: "No Pope".
So there were rumours going that the ship was "unholy".

There was also stories going around that the ship was carrying a coffin of a mummy and it was the curse of the mummy that brought the ship to its doom.

And a story about Isidor Starus's wife, Ida Straus.
Back then... everyone treated the Jews like shit... Stories that "jewish men" were pushing people out of lifeboats so they could save their lives and ignoring the woman before children was completely overshadowed by Ida, who refused to leave her husband, even when offered a seat.
"We have lived together for many years. Where you go, I go."

So the stories of "cowardly jewish men" was pretty much dispelled because of that woman.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Become evil.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
For one scary moment, Croc, I thought you would ask the trick question: "How many souls were lost when the Titanic sank?"

A trick question might be "what were the names and addresses of the survivors?"
Old 18th April 2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
@Seamus: They may as well have played something to soothe the populace: there wasn't much could be done about their probable status in a few hours' time.
Irving Berlin was very popular in 1912. If I was the bandleader, I'd have had the band play a few of his hits such as "At The Devil's Ball", "He Played It On His Fid, Fid, Fiddle-dee-dee", and, for that sentimental slow-dance tune at the end of the night just before the ship sinks, "When I Lost You".

"He's NOT the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"

"Jesus died for your sins. I commit them so his martyrdom isn't meaningless."
from Mister Pervert's Book of Proverbial Stuff
Old 19th April 2012, 07:18 PM

Here's a thought; Titanic has been romanticised and glamourised to the shithouse. The local ronald mcdonald house had a titanic themed ball. Remember though - 1500 people (a sizeable chunk of the world's population in 1912) either drowned or froze to death. Put into ratios, kinda up with the 3300 that died in 9/11....

Why not have a 9/11 themed ball where if it gets hot enough next to the buffet you can make the decision to burn to death or jump 110 stories to the pavement below?
Old 19th April 2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2105026 View Post
Here's a thought....Put into ratios, kinda up with the 3300 that died in 9/11....
Yay! Conspiracy theory!

"Although the novel was written before the Olympic-class Titanic had even been designed, there are some remarkable similarities between the fictional and real-life counterparts. Like the Titanic, the fictional ship sank in April in the North Atlantic, and there were not enough lifeboats for the passengers. There are also similarities between the size (800 ft long for Titan versus 882 ft 9 in long for the Titanic[2]), speed (25 knots for Titan, 22.5 knots for Titanic[3] and life-saving equipment."

"He's NOT the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"

"Jesus died for your sins. I commit them so his martyrdom isn't meaningless."
from Mister Pervert's Book of Proverbial Stuff