Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an Atheist

Ask an Atheist Want to know Atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the Atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 7th April 2012, 11:40 AM

Default Re: The Impending Future of Machine Intelligence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FH View Post
Not offhand. Just recalling various fiction sources that predict so.

Edit: Mass Effect universe
Mass Effect constantly uses the term/acronym AI. The two protagonist AI characters seem to have no problems with the term but with the general treatment of them by the biological characters.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass effect wiki
The geth serve as a cautionary tale against the dangers of rogue AI, and in Citadel space they are technically illegal. Advocacy groups argue, however, that an AI is a living, conscious entity deserving the same rights as organics. They argue that continued use of the term "artificial" is institutionalized racism on the part of organic life; the term "synthetic" is considered the politically correct alternative.
Source
Old 14th April 2012, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the Time Vortex

Quote:
There is reason to believe that code kernels for the first Turing-intelligent machine have already been written.

“Two revolutionary advances in information technology may bring the Turing test out of retirement,” wrote Robert French, a cognitive scientist at the French National Center for Scientific Research, in an Apr. 12 Science essay. “The first is the ready availability of vast amounts of raw data — from video feeds to complete sound environments, and from casual conversations to technical documents on every conceivable subject. The second is the advent of sophisticated techniques for collecting, organizing, and processing this rich collection of data.”
That shows a disappointing lack of understanding IMHO.

We have had oodles of information for a long time and ways to process it. That's what Edward DeBono calls passive information systems. Stuff is recorded and something processes the recorded stuff. An active information system internalises the information, connecting it together (and distorting it) to build its own actionable mental landscape. The information comming in is changed by and changes the processing thing. Thinking itself is reorganising what is "known" and how you perceive it and act on it.
Old 15th April 2012, 02:37 PM
Welcome to the Time Vortex

A slight asside. Long ago the program Eliza was written as the first "chat bot". Its a grab bag of tricks to give the appearance of somebody holding a conversation with you. I have written variations on it myself. That helped me to see the limitations of that approach to intelligence.

However, it has improved over the last 40 years. Here is an exchange I had with Chato just recently.
Quote:
You: Ok, can we talk about artificial intelligence?
Bot: Do you mean you and me? Sure I can talk about it. artificial intelligence is quite an interesting topic.

You: Can you learn new responses?
Bot: Yes I like to learn new words.
http://nlp-addiction.com/chatbot/chato/

Last edited by DanDare; 15th April 2012 at 02:41 PM.