Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #831  
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:24 PM
Sieveboy's Avatar
Sieveboy Sieveboy is offline
Soccer meets facepalm
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not in bible land, Sydney
Posts: 3,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezinerAU

Funny that its probably the same people who were up in arms about free speech when contemplating the media enquiry or defending Andrew Bolt when he (allegedly? not sure of the legality of it even though he was found guilty) slandered aboriginal people.
He did slander those academics by failing to be factually accurate with his comments.
__________________
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #832  
Old 4th March 2012, 11:58 AM
DanDare's Avatar
DanDare DanDare is offline
On my mission today...
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 5,067
Default Re: Abortion

Philosophically, of course, weighing abortions against a human life at all stages of development through to old age is a tricky thing.

Each trimester of pregnancy represents differing levels of complexity and viability. A new born has begun the process of extensively assimilating complex sensory signals and motor controls. A toddler is at work forming speech abilities and identifying pain and pleasure and what to do about it. A young child is developing theory of mind and social skills. Then there's puberty and sexual maturity. Adulthood involves developing skills of social responsibility and parenting. Eventually we get to the other end where faculties may be failing and mentality may be fading out as well.

The question about the morality of ending a life (abortion, death sentence, euthanasia) is different at every stage and the consideration of harms and consequences must extend beyond the life in question to impacts on those connected to it both directly and indirectly.

Its quite proper for philosophers to ask questions about where we draw moral lines and to focus attention on bigger pictures.
__________________
Everyone please read The Great Big List of forum etiquette and argument form.
Science Works !
Reply With Quote
  #833  
Old 4th March 2012, 12:12 PM
Praxis's Avatar
Praxis Praxis is offline
Here come the drums, here come the drums!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,336
Default Re: Abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
<snip> Its quite proper for philosophers to ask questions about where we draw moral lines and to focus attention on bigger pictures.
Absolutely it is. But teh stoopid can't seem to get their tiny brains around the difference between a discussion in order to advance the thinking on something and a recommendation to put said topic into practice
__________________
I've never been very good at knowing "my place". Well actually I have, it's just never been where you want it to be.
Reply With Quote
  #834  
Old 4th March 2012, 08:05 PM
c2105026 c2105026 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orange NSW
Posts: 650
Default Re: Abortion

Going back to OP...100% woman's choice. Wheter or not it is moral, logical or right will 100% depend on context.
__________________
....Coveting my neighbours ass since May 2007....
Reply With Quote
  #835  
Old 4th March 2012, 09:09 PM
Neospora's Avatar
Neospora Neospora is offline
Friendly Parasite
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 188
Default Re: Abortion

Here's another counter-protest idea, with more dates and info on the 40 days mob:
http://www.mamamia.com.au/health-wel...-to-bake-cake/

Quote:
My Personal favourite counter protest I have heard, is to walk up to the 40-days group count the number of people. Then say loud enough so they can all hear “ok so there are X number of you here, I am going and donating X number of dollars” Heck make it 10times the number their if it is a one off, or tell them you will be back for the next 40 days to do the same thing.
Interesting you say that Secme, as Preterm has/had a program where clients could 'give back' to the protestors, by specifically choosing a regular nut to 'sponsor'. The clinic could then proudly confront them with the amount of money raised for the clinic in their name. Got right up their noses apparently. As for counter-protestors offering chocolate and a hug or smile, I for one would have appreciated it to counterbalance the slimeball with the bible and poster placard. I gave him a small piece of my pissed off mind, but of course thought of the best retorts only with hindsight.

I have often thought Obama was less religious than he appears on the surface. Given there is a quote or poll stating the USA would be more likely to elect an openly gay president than an atheist, I suspect he figured being 'of colour' was enough of a handicap? I wonder where he would put himself on Dawkins' scale?
Reply With Quote
  #836  
Old 8th March 2012, 08:44 PM
BobtheRobot's Avatar
BobtheRobot BobtheRobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 31
Default Re: Abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbert View Post
It’s a bit depressing to see that no one has considered the child. Surely every child has the right to:
1. parents who want them, will love them and care for them.
2. two parents in case of accident; [a full set of grandparents who love the kids is also desirable].
3. parents with enough resources to provide the necessities.
4. parents old enough to deal reasonable maturely with bringing up children.

If any of these criteria are absent, then there should be a termination. Parents who have children and don’t care for or about them are criminals. I think it is callous indeed to say that if a pregnancy results from an accident then tough luck – have the child. What? Are we no longer permitted to make mistakes? What about children brought up with no sex education? With no knowledge of contraception? Too bad, kid! You’ve just ruined your life and that of your ankle-biter – you're stuck with it! That’s a religious outlook – irrational and cruel.
The world is overflowing with children. Millions starving to death, dying of preventable disease all be cause contraception and safe abortions are either illegal or unavailable. Instead of making abortion difficult, we should be making it difficult to become a parent. You can't drive a car without a permit, but you can have an unwanted child. Makes no sense.
Interesting. This did not go where I thought it would go when it started with "think of the children!".

I actually think I agree with you.
__________________
I am not very intelligent to put it nicely.
Reply With Quote
  #837  
Old 10th March 2012, 10:29 AM
jjcrazi's Avatar
jjcrazi jjcrazi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: new zealand
Posts: 41
Default Re: Abortion

two words which will help define potential cut off times...........nervous system
Reply With Quote
  #838  
Old 16th April 2012, 09:50 PM
JesusisLord's Avatar
JesusisLord JesusisLord is offline
Resident of Fantasy Island
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: western Australia
Posts: 88
Smile Re: Abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcrazi View Post
two words which will help define potential cut off times...........nervous system
How does that define life? and when does that occur?
Reply With Quote
  #839  
Old 16th April 2012, 09:53 PM
IVPITER's Avatar
IVPITER IVPITER is offline
One with Wankershim
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Victoria
Posts: 528
Default Re: Abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
How does that define life? and when does that occur?
Nervous system would help with deciding on the pain that is potentially felt and anyone can look in a biology text book for the definition of life.
__________________
'Those who invalidate reason ought seriously to consider whether they argue against reason with or without reason: if with reason, then they establish the principle that they are labouring to dethrone: but if they argue without reason (which, in order to be consistent with themselves they must do), they are out of reach of rational conviction, nor do they deserve rational argument'-Ethan Allen
Reply With Quote
  #840  
Old 16th April 2012, 10:05 PM
Logic please's Avatar
Logic please Logic please is offline
Don't believe everything you read.. that's called "gullibility".
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melb (capital of The Nanny State!!!)
Posts: 12,668
Default Re: Abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
How does that define life? and when does that occur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVPITER View Post
Nervous system would help with deciding on the pain that is potentially felt and anyone can look in a biology text book for the definition of life.
Fetal viability (24-26 weeks) is also an issue.

Interestingly, 24 weeks has been set as the cut-off for on-demand access to abortion in Victoria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better health channel
In 2008, The Abortion Law Reform Act decriminalised termination of pregnancy and set out guidelines for when abortion can take place. Any woman of any age can attend an abortion clinic in Victoria and access abortion until she is 24 weeks pregnant. Abortion after 24 weeks is legal, but isn’t commonly performed. Two doctors must agree the termination is appropriate, considering the woman’s relevant medical circumstances and her current and future physical, psychological and social circumstances.
JiL, I strongly encourage you to peruse the recent history of this thread, if you have not already done so. Much valuable discussion has been had, and it would be nice to avoid going over old ground.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by erink View Post
Following the bible is like having a sadomasochistic relationship. With no option of a safe word....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.