Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 10th June 2010, 05:21 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Catholics just don't let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityRules View Post
Reminds me of when I did a community college course on genealogy, and the person taking the course told us of a conversation in the Latter Day Saints records facility which explains why the LDS (Mormons?) keep such extensive records.

She was searching for an ancestors record (birth, death or marriage) and the LDS guy asked if she wanted the long dead non-LDS relative baptised into the LDS.

She said no, and also said she didn't know they could do such post-mortem baptisms.

The guy said they do them all the time. She asked, what if the long-dead relative wouldn't have wanted that.

He said "They [the long dead ancestors] have first right of refusal"
That is funny, now tell me it isn't true.

BTW. I do like that signature.
Old 17th July 2010, 11:23 PM

I wonder if this link may help:
http://www.countmeout.ie/
Old 18th July 2010, 02:22 AM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl700 View Post
I wonder if this link may help:
http://www.countmeout.ie/
Welcome Owl700. We love meeting new members. Please feel free to stop by the Welcome New Members area to tell us a bit more about yourself.

We also have a Count Me Out thread for anyone who is interested in finding out more.
Old 21st July 2010, 05:08 AM

AFA President David Nicholls gave me permission to ask this: I am a journo writing a piece on formal defections from the Catholic Church. There is a process, as outlined on the Count Me Out website (www.countmeout.ie) - I am looking to interview any Aussies who may have undergone this process (for publication in the Australian Fairfax press). It has really gained momentum in Ireland, where I am right now. Please note: I'm only interested in those who have undergone the formal process. And as per the original question - the baptismal register is amended to note you have ceased to be a member, but the record of your bapstism is not wiped, as I've been told "we cannot rewrite history - it took place, and just because you've defected can't change that fact". Upshot is, though, they can't include you in their stats as a Catholic - they CAN if you don't formally defect. And they can use those stats (we have x number of members) to legitimate their interference in areas such as education and health.

Please PM me.

Last edited by Protium; 21st July 2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: removed email as requested
Old 21st July 2010, 09:59 AM
AFA Life Member

Hello Michelle,

Glad to see you took my advice and have posted here. As I said, I have not heard of this group but others may have. My thoughts are that it may work in Ireland where the Catholic Church’s influence has been/still is very strong and where the sexual abuse allegations are prolific and shocking to a Catholic population. That is not to say the allegations are not shocking to the Australian population, but the Irish religious mindset will, and is, finding it difficult to accept that their all encompassing religion could produce such ‘evil’.

David
Old 21st July 2010, 10:08 AM
Minister for Defense

You can no more change the church's view that you're always theirs than you can their view there is a god. And neither matters, in the final analysis. You can't control what people think or say about you. I'm sure people think and say worse things about me, but y'know, sticks and stones.

As far as holding information, it's an historical record and I think they are therefore entitled to maintain it.

You can't tell a bank to destroy its records when you close an account.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Nelson View Post
That is funny, now tell me it isn't true.

BTW. I do like that signature.
It's true

Mormons claim to have the largest private genealogy archives in the world.. They've been baptising deceased people by proxy for decades.

There was a recent bunfight when some some Jewish people took exception to Mormons baptising holocaust victims.

The theory is the deceased person may decline the baptism to the relevant heavenly authorities.I think that's right. The Mormons are nothing if not consistent their loopiness.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senexis View Post
You can no more change the church's view that you're always theirs than you can their view there is a god. And neither matters, in the final analysis. You can't control what people think or say about you. I'm sure people think and say worse things about me, but y'know, sticks and stones.

As far as holding information, it's an historical record and I think they are therefore entitled to maintain it.

You can't tell a bank to destroy its records when you close an account.
I agree with you about the "historical record"; it should be maintained.

The thing that irks some people though, is that even if they have long ago discarded their religion, the Church still counts them as members - and that helps to make the Church look much stronger than it is.

If the person goes through some sort of official de-baptism procedure, however, they are no longer included in the count - and if enough people do it, the Church membership figures will become a little more realistic.

Personally, I think de-baptism is like pissing in the ocean - it makes a difference, but you can't measure it - although I can see why some people want to do it "on principle".

Old 3rd December 2011, 11:57 PM
AFA Member

Default Defection From The Church (Now Impossible)

Hello all,

For some time now I have wanted to formally and completely end my relationship with the Catholic Church. I was ready to write my formal letter of defection until recently the Catholic Church changed the Canon Law so that you cannot defect. Words cannot describe how angry and frustrated I am at an organisation that allows people to join but no way to leave. Instead, it keeps people on their lists, irrespective of the actual sincerity of their belief, to bolster their numbers, power and subsequent influence. I am so annoyed!

What are your thoughts?
Have you defected?
Were you planning to defect?
Does it matter or not whether you formally defect? (This is something I have been asking myself. I mean, I know that I am an atheist and I guess that should be enough?)
Are you annoyed too?

Here is a website that used to help out people with the mind-numbing bureaucracy and paperwork. They no longer provide documentation temporarily until things become more clear, but they do have a website explaining the current situation.

http://countmeout.ie/suspension/

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.
Old 4th December 2011, 12:30 AM
I could forgive the atrocities of the monster called God without filicide.

Default Re: Defection From The Church (Now Impossible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
Words cannot describe how angry and frustrated I am at an organisation that allows people to join but no way to leave.
**sings** Welcome to the Vatican California ...
I have no requirement for the supernatural or magic to explain anything, finding purpose in life other than trying to enjoy it, fantasies to explain wonder, fear that reason might trivialise me, or demand of wonders greater than those that are evident.