Go Back   AFA Forums > AFA > AFA Media Releases & Announcements

AFA Media Releases & Announcements Feel free to comment on issues the AFA is involved with.

Old 10th August 2011, 10:35 AM
AFA Life Member

Default Census Reflections & Beyond

The AFA Census “Mark No Religion” campaign was a huge success. From billboards, the AFA Forums, Facebook, radio and television interviews and articles about it - and with significant mention in many of the major and minor newspapers, we could not have hoped for a better result.

It was people who were responsible for its success and as much as I would like to name those who went out of their way considerably in helping with the campaign, I figure it wouldn’t be fair as I might just miss someone.

The huge and small efforts all helped in getting the word out there and it certainly demonstrated that ‘cats’ can do their own herding when recognising a need.

The big lesson is that social media is a rising force in society with the second lesson being that the ignorance and plain stupidity which that attracts, can be rendered impotent by the calm sanity displayed by the thinking mind.

‘Well done everyone’ doesn’t seem to be enough of an expression to cover the commitment showed by so many who actively participated in this venture. Maybe, ‘brilliantly done’ but even that is nowhere near a good enough turn of phrase.

We have set the wheels in motion where there will be changes to how in the future the question on religion will be asked. This may take a concerted effort by secular groups working in unison. We have possibly altered the ‘No religion’ demographic to a greater degree than would have been if we had remained silent. We have taken advantage of the limited power of the individual afforded us in a democracy and used it wisely, effectively and honestly.

Great job everyone, now let us move on and prepare to make the 2012 Global Atheist Convention so humungous, noticeable and enjoyable that it will shake once again, but to a greater extent than the 2010 experience, the halls of power in the churches and in the parliaments of Australia. We will join together en masse in Melbourne in April next year and demand social justice, equality and fairness for all and we will take no less.

On behalf of the AFA Committee of Management, I thank you all.

David

Last edited by David Nicholls; 10th August 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10th August 2011, 11:34 AM
AFA Life Member

Default Re: Census Reflections & Beyond

It certainly has been one of the more interesting campaigns the AFA has done. I think most of us have been taken aback at the reactions both positive and negative.

The Facebook page was incredible. And it’s still going!

I probably wouldn’t be alone in saying that I’m glad it is over so I can get my non-life back to some semblance of sanity.

Old 10th August 2011, 12:34 PM
-

Great job David and the AFA - seeing the "Mark No Religion" boards for the first time here is not a bad start and I managed to stare at it for a few minutes while waiting for the light to turn green.

I do think the real success should be measured by the increase in "No religion" population though, of course getting a campaign to be run all over the country is just the beginning of it all.
Old 10th August 2011, 12:38 PM
AFA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
Great job David and the AFA - seeing the "Mark No Religion" boards for the first time here is not a bad start and I managed to stare at it for a few minutes while waiting for the light to turn green.

I do think the real success should be measured by the increase in "No religion" population though, of course getting a campaign to be run all over the country is just the beginning of it all.
Is there a billboard still up Croc?

Old 10th August 2011, 12:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Is there a billboard still up Croc?
Saw it yesterday as I was riding home.
Old 10th August 2011, 12:42 PM
Up there for thinking...

Congrats to all - I think it was a very successful campaign. I'm crossing all my bits until the results come out next year!
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens
Old 10th August 2011, 02:49 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

I too am impressed by the committment of the AFA, its members and other groups who ran websites and posters etc.

I would like to ask David what the plans are for trying to get the census question reworded for the next census?

I also think it would be good to start a thread while things are fresh in our minds to analyse what we think worked best in the campaign, and what could have been done better. I am sure that there would be quite a few in the 'target audience' who got missed. We should also anticipate that the christians will try another sly and dishonest counter campaign and how we can best minimise the damage from such deceitfullness.

It is going to be a long wait for those results to come out!

My biggest disappointment - I drove through Huntingdale with camera in hand on Sunday but the billboard was already gone

Old 10th August 2011, 03:16 PM
AFA Life Member

Quote:
I would like to ask David what the plans are for trying to get the census question reworded for the next census?
BlueDevil,

We have all been fairly snowed under recently and the plan is now to concentrate on the 2012 Global Atheist Convention. There is plenty of time to consider the next Census after that is successfully accomplished.

David
Old 10th August 2011, 03:36 PM
silly person

I was thinking of making a similar thread, so I'll just say it here: I'm rather happy to see that the AFA is raising these issues... and that they're actually being heard. Over the past couple of years I've heard religion making the news more and more, and not in a 'good' way. When the Vatican and the AFA do what comes naturally, more and more people seem to lose the faith and demand secularism. It's quite encouraging.
Old 10th August 2011, 04:52 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Nicholls View Post
BlueDevil,

We have all been fairly snowed under recently and the plan is now to concentrate on the 2012 Global Atheist Convention. There is plenty of time to consider the next Census after that is successfully accomplished.

David
That sounds fair enough David!

I guess I am just wondering when the ABS start planning the next census and how much lead time they need to consider changing a question.

I dare say they will be pretty busy with data analysis over the next 12 months!

Last edited by BlueDevil; 10th August 2011 at 04:57 PM.