Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 29th June 2011, 07:40 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Exposition on Rule #3

Because apparently there are some out there who insist on playing monkey-fuck with very simple concepts, in order to pursue some rather incoherent and plainly idiotic agendas, I'm going to explain something.

Something very. Fucking. Simple.

Something that should not need a gods-damned explanation, because it's as obvious as an elephant-turd on the kitchen table.

Goldenmane's Third Rule of Public Discourse often known as Rule # fucking 3 is swear a lot, not call people names. There's a fundamental motherfucking difference, and an inability to grasp this is a singular demonstration that you don't understand the essential point to Rule #3.

Rule #3 is intended to be an example of highlighting intellectual laziness and magical thinking. Swearing, or rather the very fact that it is possible for people to think certain words are magically bad in and of themselves, is irrational bullshit, and no basis for people getting all fucking huffy.

This is completely different to actually attacking someone, rather than ideas. The notion of 'swearing = bad' is an idea, and a bloody silly one. Rule #3 doesn't even speak to personal attacks and calling people names, although personal attacks and calling people names are both in themselves examples of shitty thinking.

You can't use a tool which highlights shitty thinking to excuse shitty thinking. That's fucktardery of the first degree.

@Goldenmane3

Like Spearthrower liked this post
Thank Azurisan21, robertkd thanked this post
Old 29th June 2011, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Exposition on Rule #3

fuck man sounds like youve been through a god dam cluster fuck with some fucking mess
Evil is Evil, lesser, greater, middling it makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary, the definitions blurred. If iam to choose between one Evil or another, ild rather not choose at all - Geralt of Rivia - Killing Monsters
Like Azurisan21 liked this post
Old 29th June 2011, 08:01 PM
Extant

Quote:
gruber said View Post
fuck man sounds like youve been through a god dam cluster fuck with some fucking mess
No, Grubes, not to do with GM himself. See an existing thread on FI for the most recent trigger.
Old 29th June 2011, 08:13 PM

was that the angry atheist guy who called Black a priest, HAHAHAHAHAH that was classic. The guy had nothing
Evil is Evil, lesser, greater, middling it makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary, the definitions blurred. If iam to choose between one Evil or another, ild rather not choose at all - Geralt of Rivia - Killing Monsters
Old 29th June 2011, 08:26 PM
Extant

Yep, that was the one I had in mind.
Old 9th September 2016, 10:37 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Default Re: Any Richard Carrier Fans?

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
@SEG - If by "in the job" you mean was I a religious minister, pastor, priest or theologian, the answer is no. I'm not, and have never been.

My current job IRL -as in, what I'm paid to do- is completely outside of any religious context and it frequently includes detailed examination of primary and secondary evidence for the purpose of determining what happened in the past.
Oh, ok, that makes sense, it sounded like you had professional qualifications. "in the job" is a well known phrase to police and firefighters for being employed in those professions. I was both in past lives and I thought the blue lightning had something to do with being a cop.

You have been a firefighter and a police officer... and you find the word 'cunt' offensive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 13th September 2016, 07:11 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
odd said View Post
You have been a firefighter and a police officer... and you find the word 'cunt' offensive?

Correct. Just because you have been exposed too it more often doesn't make it less offensive. It depends on the circumstances too. Within a group of blokes it may be more acceptable, but not in front of mixed friends, kids, family or public forums.

It has a lot to do with respect for others, for myself.
Old 13th September 2016, 09:31 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Quote:
odd said View Post

Correct. Just because you have been exposed too it more often doesn't make it less offensive. It depends on the circumstances too. Within a group of blokes it may be more acceptable, but not in front of mixed friends, kids, family or public forums.

It has a lot to do with respect for others, for myself.
Righto. Explain what is inherently offensive about a cunt.

@Goldenmane3

Old 13th September 2016, 11:35 PM

Offense isn't something that's given, it's something that's taken.
Old 14th September 2016, 04:25 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Svadifari said View Post
Offense isn't something that's given, it's something that's taken.
By which you mean?