Go Back   AFA Forums > AFA > AFA Media Releases & Announcements

AFA Media Releases & Announcements Feel free to comment on issues the AFA is involved with.

Old 2nd May 2011, 02:13 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: New website urges Australians to Keep Religion Out of Politics

So the Pope who is A: Priest B: Head of State C: writes books, and things should be as low as you can get?
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
I find that poll about science particularly heartening, RR.
Yeah, that is a good indication of what society really values.
Old 6th May 2011, 01:50 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
OK, so who do we have to fuck to get it done?

I think that in all seriousness, this is something I'd like to get involved in, but I guess someone somewhere is more on the ball than me. Probably the AFA has already organised a poll or some such.

What about asking Get Up to be involved in this? They do a lot of petitions, surveys, advertisements and organised events.

http://www.getup.org.au/
Old 6th May 2011, 09:42 PM

Cool Re: New website urges Australians to Keep Religion Out of Politics

Originally Posted by Bolero
Quote:
OK, so who do we have to fuck to get it done?

No need to fuck anyone (unnecessarily), or raise mega bucks, and effort, to fund surveys, or get ‘get up’ going. Just set up sandwich boards all around the main centres – get media and public attention. Try to be conservative – even professional so as not to look too ‘fringe’. I’m also working on a top hat, that will have the Queen's (Anglican Synod) pro Atheist quotes imbedded in it. See Am madly organising for my return to Australia, but will provide the specs to admin if/when I get reconnected in Perth – in case others like my drift.
Old 7th May 2011, 04:30 PM
Bent crusader

That guy? OK....better get limbered up....
Old 7th May 2011, 10:17 PM
AFA Member

I believe one of the other group members of the 'Launceston Skeptics' (http://www.launcestonskeptics.com/) has been in touch about our group holding a stall in our 'mall' as part of the campaign.

In posted the following on the Facebook Page.

"Last night the Launceston Skeptics had a discussion about how we might be able to participate in the "Mark NO RELIGION on the 2011 Census" campaign. How would the AFA like groups like us to participate? Maybe you might want to add a supporter’s page on the website to link back to groups who are in support and want to participate."
Old 9th May 2011, 09:30 PM

I think this campaign is a great idea and a much needed kick to make people think about what box they're ticking. Unfortunately, I honestly don't think the message is going to get driven home just from the signs/billboards. It's too easy to dismiss as "some atheist thing". What the campaign really needs is discussion. Make people actually think about it.

What I'd like to suggest is, firstly, raise money to commission a polling company to poll random people with the following (or similar) questions:
1. What religion are you likely to tick for this year's Census?
(if anything other than "no religion", then we keep going)
2. Do you believe everything this religion tells you?
3. Do you strongly disagree with any of the policies of this religion for things such as Voluntary Euthenasia, Abortion, Gay Marriage, or other hot political topic?
4. How many times this year have you attended a church of your religion?
5. Do you regularly pray to your chosen god?

Now, the results from this poll *should* reveal that 80% of people will be ticking a religion box, but only 10% attend church or regularly pray to their god, and probably some 60%+ disagree with their religion's doctrine on hot political topics. After the poll is revealed, we can forward it on to various media outlets for publication, although I suspect many will avoid it.

What the aim of this is, is to get discussion happening. If we can get a big enough polling sample, I think this would make a great show of Q&A. I would simply love to see the religious representatives try and argue against this campaign on live TV. Would they try and say that you don't actually have to agree with everything they say.. just tick the box anyway

If we can get this campaign discussed on Q&A, I think the other media outlets might be forced to pick up the story, making even more people actually think about the question. I'm sure the religious nutters will utterly embarrass themselves while trying to argue against it.
Old 9th May 2011, 09:33 PM
AFA Member

I would love to see this on Q and A.
Old 10th May 2011, 01:30 PM

Too many questions Mandrid. Many religious people follow their own conscious rather than the religious doctrine of their faith. I think there is only one relevant question that needs to be asked and that is
"Do you consider yourself to be religious now?"
Old 10th May 2011, 07:51 PM

"I guess so. I'm Catholic, but I'm not a good one because I don't go to church.. ever and disagree with lots of things" *ticks Catholic box*

I don't think the question alone is clear enough. It could imply that only people who have denounced their faith could consider themselves without religion. Depending on other information on a poster it could imply that they've just provided you with a great piece of information and want to know if you're religious now, after hearing it; to which the answer is "I didn't just change my mind, so I guess I still am".

For the full message of the campaign to work, people need to investigate further. Reading the FAQ on the website is good, but a lot of people won't bother. The campaign needs discussion to happen and/or have it explained.

The point of the poll is to let people see that they would answer the same, and would normally tick the box. The results of the poll lead to the discussion question "Should you be ticking the box if those are your answers?".

I don't think 5 questions in a phone poll (or however they'd run it) is a lot. With only the 1 question, I don't think you'll change more than 10% of the religious box ticking. People still consider themselves as part of a religious group, simply because that's what they were and they haven't officially left it. If there was an annual renewal process (even if free), a lot of people would stop bothering and THEN would know they're not part of that religion because of their conscious decision to not renew. As membership is perpetual and they haven't cancelled.. most think they still are, even when not and "Do you consider yourself to be religious now?" isn't thought-provoking enough to consider the answer any more than the Census question.