Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 4th August 2010, 02:30 PM
AFA Member

Default A long journey

Hello to the members of this forum. My name is Bruce and I came across this forum through a link from someones comment on the Austin Cline atheist newsletter. My computer skills are as bad as my ability to express my thoughts with any clarity so please forgive any shortcomings, I was about to thank god for spell check but that would be inappropriate. I have visited a few forums but although interesting I did not have anything to contribute, hopefully I can do better here. The reason for the title is that although I have been agnostic since I was expelled from Sunday school for asking questions that the teacher was unable to answer, I didn't make the final step to atheism for another 30 years, when I did some philosophy study along with my wife. My wife is Catholic, although her perception of god does not conform to any description of god that they teach. Unfortunately my wife though initially moving toward atheism at the final hurdle stumbled and swung back to her security of faith, this has become a festering sore in our marriage that cannot be healed as a result we now have very little meaning full conversation.Ilook forward to visiting this forum and maybe even making a comment or two. Regards Bruce.
Old 4th August 2010, 03:05 PM
Burp!!!!
Super Moderator

Default Re: A long journey

Welcome Bruce, I too am sorry to hear of your situation. I hope you get some insight from the forums and it all works out well for you.

As far as computer shortcomings goes, ask and you shall receive. We have a geek speak area in off topic or you could try feedback and support.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 4th August 2010, 03:10 PM
Minister for Defense

Welcome, Bruce

Sorry to hear that this is an issue in your marriage, although I can well understand it. I'm experiencing a similar issue with my Catholic mother and Presbyterian father (coincidentally named Bruce).

There are some areas we just don't go anymore, because when it's all said and done, seeing them as a flavour of Flat-Earther diminishes them, no matter how much I love them.

I hope you can get past this in your own situation, at any rate, I hope you enjoy it here
Old 4th August 2010, 03:16 PM
herping and derping
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1937 View Post
Hello to the members of this forum. My name is Bruce and I came across this forum through a link from someones comment on the Austin Cline atheist newsletter.
Great newsletter too I am signed up! Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
My wife is Catholic, although her perception of god does not conform to any description of god that they teach.
The thing is catholicism is a weird beast. Effectively to be catholic one just has to accept the Nicene creed (belief in jesus dying for us, and the succession of the apostolic church) as well as baptism. Viola, catholic for life (apparently). The bible is just one of the written works of the apostolic church as they see it ... just like the pronouncements of the Pope nowadays ... albeit it's historical significance.

Hence you get some pretty wild catholic priests, tho they have to agree/follow the teachings of the apostolic succession (the succession from Peter the 'rock' on which jesus supposedly built his church).

Quote:
Unfortunately my wife though initially moving toward atheism at the final hurdle stumbled and swung back to her security of faith, this has become a festering sore in our marriage that cannot be healed as a result we now have very little meaning full conversation.Ilook forward to visiting this forum and maybe even making a comment or two. Regards Bruce.
Sorry to hear that Bruce It must be difficult for both of you

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 4th August 2010, 03:19 PM
I've calculated your chance of survival, but I don't think you'll like it.

Welcome Bruce. I'm another one whose father was a Bruce, is there a pattern here?

Old 4th August 2010, 03:36 PM
Cuss-tard

G'day Bruce.

Mind if we call you Bruce just to keep it clear?

Ignore the rules in the above link.

@Goldenmane3
goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com
Old 4th August 2010, 04:07 PM
Extant

Hello Bruce, I wish to enter a data point counter to the idea that atheists are more likely to be named or son to Bruce.

I recollect reading that differences in religion made surprisingly little difference to longevity of a marriage but religion vs atheism may be a different matter. Anyway, good luck with it all and welcome here. We help with all sorts of things, be they geeky or cashews.
Old 4th August 2010, 04:10 PM
Cuss-tard

I've got a cousin called Bruce, BTW, but that's as far as that goes.

@Goldenmane3
goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com
Old 4th August 2010, 05:13 PM
Extant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmane View Post
I've got a cousin called Bruce, BTW, but that's as far as that goes.
Fucking hell, so did I. We must be related.
Old 4th August 2010, 05:58 PM
Go on .... try ur luck!

Gday Bruce

Welcome to the forums. Don't spend all your time on the forums though, you've got a wife to talk to! FWIW, conversation - real conversation - can be the tether that halts the drift.

(I'm not a marriage counsellor - but I've been married for more than a while and been through my fair share of drifting as well!)

I think you'll have a good time here regardless.

C U round