Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 19th May 2009, 03:46 AM

Default ISP

This has nothing to do with anything, but I have to share it with you:

As you probably know, contracts with telephone companies and ISP's are not worth a pich of shit these days. I had a two year contract with Optus and during that time they doubled the monthly cost of my telephone connection and cut my Internet downloads from 6GB to 2GB per month - and I had no legal recourse.

Earlier this year I signed a two year contract with Adam Internet: 10GB for $45 per month. That seemed reasonable, but how about this: from today onwards they are giving me an extra 10GB of downloads per month for the same price! I'm still looking for a catch, but I haven't found one yet.

I'm now paying only $2.25 per GB per month while my brother [on Virgin Wireless] is paying $30 per GB per month.
Old 19th May 2009, 09:34 AM

Default Re: ISP

@Young Moigle

I've been with Adam for over a year,after a 6 month contract. I don't trust ISP'S having had "experiences" with Bigpond,Primus, Optus and (vomit) Dodo. I paid for the modem (ADSL 2)

I tried Adam because I'd heard good things about them and because they're local. I had some teething problems which were no fault of theirs. (rats had eaten through the phone cable in the roof) I was able to actually go into their office with its techies out the back and talk to a real person.

The deal I have is a beauty (by Aussie standards),and better than any other provider I've found.. I get 40GB a month DOWNLOADS.Uploads are separate (Bigpong counts uploads in your allowance) The speed is consistently on par with or exceeds the speed I got from from Bigpond Cable. 7/24 tech support,with minimal waiting.

A speed test shows now shows:; current downstream: 2,368 kbps
Old 19th May 2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protium View Post
What speed connections are we talking here. Did Optus increase speed when they dropped allowance?

Has Adam dropped speed for more download?
That's the problem Protium, I don't know - and that's why I'm looking for the catch (whatever it might be). They sent me (and every other home-user) an email saying they were going to double our downloads and early this morning the adjustments were made. So far, no other details have been provided - but everything else seems to be the same, so (today at least) I'm as happy as a pig in poop. We'll see how I feel tomorrow...

I've got ADSL2 and I'm not far from the exchange, but speeds vary so much that I can't even calculate an average - but the slowest speed (to date) is still faster than I was getting with Optus.

------------------------------------------------

The Optus situation was a bit different. They doubled the phone rental but told me I could exit the contract with no penalty, so that's what I did. Then, about three months later they said, "Hey, you're not using our phone so we're cutting your downloads from 6GB to 2GB" (Speed didn't change).

I brought up the "no penalty" arrangement, but they basically told me to go and get stuffed.

-----------------------------------------------
Old 19th May 2009, 11:06 AM
herping and derping
Administrator

$2.25 per gig is around the cost that telstra sells bulk traffic to other ISP's. ie: adam is passing on traffic at cost price by the looks of it

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 19th May 2009, 01:06 PM

@Mr Black

Thanks. I just did the speed test using that link.I'm happy. (relatively speaking.Compared with say Hong Kong, not really)

In light of the info on that forum,I'll consider changing my plan back to 20GB. I'll wait a couple of months and see. In the past my use has pretty much expanded to meet the available allowance.
Old 19th May 2009, 01:09 PM
Suspended

What ever you do it can't be worse than paying $110/month for 10gb at 1.5mb/s

Telstra is the worst corporation ever.

It is pathetic how behind we are with internet.
Old 19th May 2009, 06:37 PM

The big companies like telstra and optus compleely rip people off when it comes to internet access. Some of the prices they charge for so little astounds me. I'm with TPG, they do what I need for a decent price, much better than most places I've seen.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death - George Carlin (R.I.P.)
Old 21st May 2009, 05:44 PM

Adam Internet have been the best ISP I've had.

The double data thing is pretty much catch free. They've got peack and off peack now. I'm guessing they have low volumes used in off peack time, so they have a lot of spare bandwidth. By adding this to their product they entice more customers, while making their existing customers happier. They don't have to pay any extra for the offering so why not? Win win.

One thing I don't think as many people use as they could is with Adam is CommunityNet. I'd strongly suggest looking into it if you download tv shows, movies, music etc. There's about 15TB constantly on share at my exchange. It doesn't count at all toward quota, so you could download all 15TB in a month if you wanted.