Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nuclear power for Australia.

Default Nuclear power for Australia.

A bit off the topic of atheism, but I was curious to see what the opinion of the Australian atheist community was on the prospect of nuclear energy for Australia. This seems an interesting enough discussion topic.

Do you support it? Why, or why not?

Personally, I strongly support it, since, based on all the facts and evidence and information available to me at present show me that it's a well-proven, reliable, scalable, environmentally sound, very safe, and entirely sustainable, clean source of energy which can effectively be used to replace coal-fired generation.

Of course, some new evidence could be presented to me tomorrow which might potentially make me change my mind... but I doubt it.

2. Like button Azurisan21 liked this post

Default Re: Nuclear power for Australia.

Hey minerva. Welcome to the forums. I have taken the liberty to move this to ask an atheist where it may be more appropriate.

If you get a chance, we would all love to hear more about you in the welcome new members area.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
    —Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary

Yep im for it....yellowcake for everyone...can i have chocolate chips in mine.
    The argument against it these days just doesnt add up anymore.
    The biggest problem was the waste product...what to do with it.
    The Coal Fired power stations just dispose of there waste into the atmosphere (ie carbon) so we all get to share in it, and pay for the pleasure in the carbon tax.
    I think Solar and Wind is the way to go.
    'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Quote minerva said View Post
    A bit off the topic of atheism, but I was curious to see what the opinion of the Australian atheist community was on the prospect of nuclear energy for Australia. This seems an interesting enough discussion topic.

Do you support it? Why, or why not?

Personally, I strongly support it, since, based on all the facts and evidence and information available to me at present show me that it's a well-proven, reliable, scalable, environmentally sound, very safe, and entirely sustainable, clean source of energy which can effectively be used to replace coal-fired generation.

Of course, some new evidence could be presented to me tomorrow which might potentially make me change my mind... but I doubt it.
    I don't have an issue with Nuclear Power, I think that it is a viable source of power that is, compared to our current power generation systems, is clean and relatively sustainable. Considering that we have 1/3 of the worlds uranium supply, it seems like a good source of power.

However, you have a big problem with Nuclear power, you need a lot of water to keep it cool. Water isn't as abundant in this country as we would like it to be. So that probably means running it on the coast. This isn't a problem per se, but you also need to ideally place the power generation close to where it is going to be used.

This means that it probably needs to be somewhere on the east coast. This is where you run into problems, there is a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) relating to Nuclear power, so most people won't want it near their place. Subsequently, it is unlikely to end up anywhere.

On the whole, I support it, as long as we have a suitable solution to the water problem, and we can find a suitable place for it. Apart from the eyesore issue, I wouldn't have an issue living next door to one.

James

A couple of process notes, if I may.

Quote minerva said View Post
    By the atheist community, I assume you mean quite a lot of atheists who appear here to celebrate reason; or drink.

Do you doubt that new evidence might be presented, or do you doubt that you would change your mind, or both? I took note of the word potentially.
    There are no good arguments for gods.

I haven't looked into it much. But i'd go for nuclear over coal power.

Hi Minerva,
    Would like to hear a little about you, but as to the question: As a result of the evidence that I have come across, I support it. As I understand it, even the radioactive waste products of traditional fission can be used for further waste production (I think Bill Gates is sinking some money into this). However, I think that it is just a go between. Nuclear fusion is the way of the future. If we start to sink some money into it now, I can't see why the current issues can't be sorted out. Fusion is clean, the reactants are abundant and it is heaps more powerful than fission. See here http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/st..._s_future.html for some reasonably current thoughts.
    Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.

Its a tough nut Minerva, nuclear power has some massive advantages over other sources of power, including very high reliability (to the electircty grid) and some real problems (shockingly toxic, deadly waste, that will take thousands of years to become relatively safe).

But as noted above FUD is a problem, followed by NIMBY (Not In My BackYard).
    I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    Mark Twain

Indeed an interesting topic, nuclear is not without risk as is everything in the world, however do agree these risks can be minimised.

Fission is the current technology tried and proven but results in radioactive waste that has 2 issues disposal/storage and becomes attractive to potential terrorists which increases the costs of storage and security.

I don't think the water supply is such a huge problem as the systems are usually closed systems but of course you do need a supply of water.

Fusion the the holy grail huge output small input and minimal waste but really goes awry fast if there is a problem, although I think this is where we will go eventually.

I think there are issues, current political will is deeply committed to coal and secondary alternatives wind solar, which are attractive but cost a lot in terms of CO2 produced to manufacture.

So simple answer yes, in my back yard yes,..
    An atheist hears a voice in their head, they're delusional.
    A theist hears a voice in their head and it's providence.
    mmm go figure

http://www.betterhuman.org

Good to see that others have heard and read about the fusion experimental reactors around.

While fission is a good stop gap method, personally I would like to see fusion reactors up and running.

There are still organisations out there that are anti-nuclear. Such as greenpeace.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...projectFrance/

The above article shows a complete lack of understanding of the process' of fusion and associated risks.
    Prejudices are what fools use for reason. Voltaire