Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheism Resource Thread

Default Re: Astronomy & Cosmology (Useful Links)

Hi, The Juice! This is a message sent to all who find their way to these forums.

We like people, and we like facts too!

We're friendly but we're skeptical, and if somebody calls for proof, it's not an accusation. Only the strong ideas thrive here: we try to respect people. (We do not tolerate personal abuse.)

If you're an AFA member and need your membership status recognised in forum access, please send a Private Message to Admin, including the name on your AFA membership.

You may already have visited these other handy places:
    * New Member Information
    * Welcome from AFA president
    * For those interested in learning, I recommend the Atheism Resource Thread maintained by Fearless.
    * And a quick look at our reserved spot for belief-based discussion, Fantasy Island, includes The Great Big List, a sort-of "things we've seen before" for those of faith, and general rules of argument for the forum.

If you've got questions, please ask. Moderators have red name tags, but many of our friendly people may have the answers you need.

Enjoy the forums. We hope to see plenty from you in discussions.

Have fun.

PS: This post is more a Resource than a Science & Reason specific post, so I'll be moving it. Thank you for the contribution.
    New Members please read the FAQ | AFA Members please PM for info regarding the Members forum

Default Re: Atheism Resource Thread

Not sure if this list extends to YouTube channels, but I found the following very useful on my way out of fundamentalism into reality:
    - philhellenes (sciencey atheist vids, probably best known for How Science Saved my Soul which you can't view on YouTube from Oz but can view here http://www.metacafe.com/watch/590185...saved_my_soul/)
    - NonStampCollector (ex-Christian who uses cartoons to highlight problems with the Bible)
    - The Thinking Atheist (ex-Christian promoting atheism)
    - Evid3nc3 (ex-Christian with a series about his deconversion and other videos promoting atheism)
    - richarddawkinsdotnet

I'd also recommend Sagan's Cosmos and Contact under the Movies/Documentaries section.

Saw this in my facebook feed today - new book coming out soon by Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller: Bullshit! fame).

http://www.amazon.com/God-No-Already...8146743&sr=8-1

It's called "God, No! Signs You May Already Be An Atheist and Other Magical Tales."

Love his work.

(Sorry if someone's already posted this.)
    "The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."
    Salvador Dali

Hoping it is ok to post resource requests... I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good sources refuting/exposing Islam. I have found many great books and sites but most of them focus on Christianity, a guy at work has been starting to get a bit preachy with me (muslim guy) and I realised i don't really know many facts about it. Have done a few google searches but if you know of any good ones please send my way, cheers.

dilbadoon: WikiIslam and Skeptics Annotated Quran are not a bad start. You could ask me but be warned I am very rusty. I have forgotton a lot of things and no longer can read the Qur'an fluently as I used to. However I am probably more familiar in some aspects of the Qur'an than most muslims I am aware of.

Quote Crocodile said View Post
    dilbadoon: WikiIslam and Skeptics Annotated Quran are not a bad start. You could ask me but be warned I am very rusty. I have forgotton a lot of things and no longer can read the Qur'an fluently as I used to. However I am probably more familiar in some aspects of the Qur'an than most muslims I am aware of.
    Great Crocodile thanks! I don't have anything specific yet as I have avoided the conversation so far, not a fan of going into battle unarmed! Will check it all out and come back to you when I know a bit more.

G'day Fearless, hope this helps. Cool thread idea!

Books:
    Why evolution is true - Jerry Coyne (A succinct and accessible summary of the facts supporting Darwinian evolution).

Youtube channels:
    WEIT (no affiliation to Jerry Coyne, but has numerous quality science documentries on evolution).
    profMTH (Excellent resource for biblical errors)
    NSC (Champion Aussie producing videos on biblical errors and religulous logic)
    The bible sceptic (Very detailed videos debunking almost every word of the bible).

Blogs:
    WEIT - Jerry Coyne (The good cop to PZ's bad cop).
    The Friendly Athesit (Just as the name suggests).

Websites:
    Iron chariots
    Talk Origins
    National science and education centre (USA)
    The Richard Dawkins Foundation
    Hungry Beast

Movies:
    Religulous - Bill Maher (A satirical look at the worlds belief system and the horrors these beliefs may seek to bring).
    Inherit the wind - (Largely ficitionalised/dramatiesed account/courtroom drama of the 1928 Scopes Monkey Trial).

TV on the Interwebz:
    The Atheist Experience

Ps: My favourite book of all time is Slaughter House Five : )
    “Your god story is no more compelling than any of the thousands of other god stories.”

Thank you very much for the latest contributions

A few updates:

- "Movies/Documentaries" split into two sections:

• Movies Of Interest (For fictional and special interest movie length features)
    • Documentaries

- "You Tube Channels" section added

- "Atheists On [Insert Faith]" trial section added for resources to understanding/debunking different faiths (starting with Islam)

@Bolero - Have you been able to read that book of Penn Jillette's? Or if/when you do can you let me know if it was a good one worth the purchase and I'll add it, cheers

Quote dilbadoon said View Post
    Hoping it is ok to post resource requests... I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good sources refuting/exposing Islam. I have found many great books and sites but most of them focus on Christianity, a guy at work has been starting to get a bit preachy with me (muslim guy) and I realised i don't really know many facts about it. Have done a few google searches but if you know of any good ones please send my way, cheers.
    You find quite a lot of stuff on Youtube about Islam. Try some of the Pat Condell stuff, amongst others.

This documentary is worth having a look at:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2797772997781#

Look around at some of the free documentary sites, particulary in the religion category and you will find some stuff. Here are a few sites you could try searching:
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/category/religion/
    http://freedocumentaries.org/index_cat.php?cat=10
    http://documentaryheaven.com/category/religion/

Have a look at this site too:
    http://www.jihadwatch.org/

I can not testify to the accuracy of the information in any of the sites/videos suggested.
    "Instead of being born again why don't you just grow up"

Quote Fearless said View Post

@Bolero - Have you been able to read that book of Penn Jillette's? Or if/when you do can you let me know if it was a good one worth the purchase and I'll add it, cheers
    Not yet - when it comes out, I will get right on it.
    "The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."
    Salvador Dali