Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buildings without a 13th floor

Exclamation Buildings without a 13th floor

I have been in a few hotels and restaurants (particularly those high class ones in India which are conveniently encased in tall buildings) before, and in a lot of them, I notice there's no 13th floor.

It often goes G, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, etc and never has a 13th floor.

I'm just wondering has anybody else noticed that? I am under the impression they did this on purpose, because 13 is supposedly an unlucky number.

I do find that ironic though, because the 14th floor really is the 13th floor then.

Note that all such hotels also have bibles in every bedroom.

Default Re: Buildings without a 13th floor

Unfortunately true, Croc.

This has been going on for ages........believe it (sharp inhale, followed by pregnant pause) or not.
    Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.

It has been happening forever that I have known. Room 13 is also either skipped or becomes 12A. Ordinary old superstition rather than to do with religion as such.
    Last edited by Xeno; 27th September 2010 at 09:35 AM.
    There are no good arguments for gods.

There was a report I read years ago about an Asian country that had no room 666 either. I have a feeling that might be more wide spread.

Has anyone been to Hobart, we have building here that start on the ground floor, then go to 3, then start at 12 through to 18. The building has only got 8 floors. There are a couple like that.

I think they like to give the impression the building is higher than it actually is.

The Nacirema Tribe: located just south of Sanity

Quote Crocodile said View Post
    I'm just wondering has anybody else noticed that?
    yeah, I've heard of it. Infact, Someone once told me that if I ever wanted to try bungee jumping off of buildings (as if! ) to not forget about the absence of the thirteenth floor...

Quote Fearless said View Post
    There was a report I read years ago about an Asian country that had no room 666 either. I have a feeling that might be more wide spread.
    That's interesting... I've never seen any building like that.

So I guess there was a Level 6 - but rooms like ..., 663, 664, 665, 667, etc right?

I've seen some building that also skip the 4th floor????? They are skippinh the 4th and 13th floor. Why???

Quote Spud Henley said View Post
    I've seen some building that also skip the 4th floor????? They are skippinh the 4th and 13th floor. Why???
    Might have something to do with Mr Black's post above. Can't say I've seen that here though.

My house address is number 5 there is no number 4 it skips from 3 to 5 for no reason other than another reading of the chinese character of 4 is death.