Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What cheeses me off

GenericBox is offline Claim to fame: been resurrected more times than Jesus

Default Re: What cheeses me off

Zomg Currimundi State School!!! That's the school I always refer to (aka Miss Dempsey).

It's the primary school I went to. God damn its a small small world.

Default Update: Don't send any emails or call the school!

Looks like something got lost in translation

Thanks for your enquiry.I have spoken to each of our year 4 teachers and to my Deputy Principal and I think you have been given the wrong information.We are not having a year 4 easter concert and we have not had a student lose a father in the last 6 months.

Regards

Tony Roberts

Tony Roberts
    Principal
    Currimundi State School
    Phone: 54366888

Default Re: Update: Don't send any emails or call the school!

I can *sort of* verify that though. We never had Easter concerts at Currimundi State School. I mean I know I went there a decade ago but back then it was not like the school to have a concert of any kind. I mean we didn't even have a fete for 2 years because not enough interest or funds were raised.

It probably has changed, but yeah, we never did anything at the school for easter or even christmas. We didn't even have that good enough student interest in singing / music to do a concert at the few fetes we had. It was just never organised.

By the way, for personal interest and nostalgia, do you know the teachers name? My 4th grade teacher was the worst one I ever had. We called her Mrs. Goblin, and she used to do lunch duty, and if you got in trouble we would say you had to board the Goblin Train. She was old 10 years ago though so I doubt she still works there - or if she is still alive :S
    Last edited by GenericBox; 1st April 2009 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Vonnie said View Post
    What cheeses me off is that when science and medicine saves lives, it is often put down to "a miracle". Grrrrrrrr.

Vonnie

I know! I posted a little story on the BAM forums years (oh gawd its been a long time) ago, about how researchers had spent 10 years of their lives researching technology that allowed for an implant to pick up signals from the brain, and transmit them to muscles in their legs - meaning that patients with paralyzed legs, or more specifically - spinal chord problems - could walk and stand up and sit all by themselves again. Giving them back independence and freedom. It was a breakthrough technology. But this team of scientists had spent 10 whole freaking years developing it.

In the interview they had with a patient who recieved it, all he bleeping said was:

"I thank god every day for the ability to walk again"....

I mean ffs, those scientist had given up the last 10 years of their lives to make it possible that someone like you could walk/stand/use legs etc. And all you have to thank is God? You owe those scientists your life and independence. Not the damn invisible supreme being that caused you to have no legs in the first place. Were you thanking God everyday before this breakthrough for taking your legs away? I don't think so.
    Last edited by GenericBox; 1st April 2009 at 02:07 PM.

I'm in quite a good mood for resurrecting this thread.

What cheeses me off?

Motorbikes with excessively loud exhausts.

Pedestrians registering their intent to cross at traffic lights, then crossing against the light anyway, fucking up the sequencing of the signals.

Truck drivers with signs on their rigs saying "If I can't see you in my mirror, you're too close", sitting one car length behind me at 100+ km/hr, such that all I can see is a massive truck radiator grille in my mirror.

Drivers, who would usually employ using their indicators to signal their intention to make a turn, well before the turn, thinking that somehow deploying their indicator as/after they make a lane change is somehow useful?
    "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ..."

"
    Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
    Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

6. Like button wolty, knowledge is power liked this post

I hear you on that lot twodogs but this...

Quote two dogs said View Post
    I'm in quite a good mood for resurrecting this thread.

Motorbikes with excessively loud exhausts.
    ...wtf? Are there not some rules on noise pollution? They can take you from feeling calm to accelerated heart rate with varying levels of panic, anxiety and fear. Cheeses me off.

Quote pipbarber said View Post
    I hear you on that lot twodogs but this...

...wtf? Are there not some rules on noise pollution? They can take you from feeling calm to accelerated heart rate with varying levels of panic, anxiety and fear. Cheeses me off.
    Those are illegal exhausts. A biker can get a fine for it if he/she is pulled over.
    “It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” ― Warsan shire
    “Human beings have rights and are entitled to respect. Ideas, books, and beliefs don’t, and aren’t.” ― Ali A Rizvi

Noisy motorbikes are annoying. Pedestrians pressing the button then jaywalking anyway is annoying (I do that pretty much every day - pressing the button is a "back up plan" in case a gap fails to present itself before the lights change).

I find it really annoying how some people driving tiny cars drive as though they are behind the wheel of a road train or something. Where there is a left turn lane available but instead they keep their car in the middle of the road, slowing to an almost complete stop before coming to the corner, then driving slowly around the corner in a wide arc. I'm the guy leaning on the horn while they do this. Or they go into the left turn lane then swing their tiny car halfway into the adjoining lane in order to get around the corner - as if they are driving an articulated vehicle.

People who miss a turn-off on a busy road or a highway, then stop their car in the middle of the road and wait for a break in the traffic so they can back up and try again. Oblivious to the danger they put themselves and everyone else in.

I'm seeing more and more large trucks being driven too fast and too aggressively. Zipping between lanes to gain a couple of car lengths, tailgating. One misjudgment, one driver who panics upon seeing a massive vehicle bearing down on them, and things could turn out very badly.

I ride and I second the motorbikes with loud exhausts objection. I was guilty of this crime in my yoof I confess but I've seen the error of my ways - its so rude!

I often have to suspend conversation whilst trying to enjoy a coffee on King Street while some dick with the baffles out plays with his throttle in the usual King Street traffic.

I've heard an argument for loud exhaust that centres around safety, i.e. cars can here you coming and will likely give you more attention. Personally I'm not buying that.
    If all human suffering is caused due to the original sin, then God needs to grow up.
    After all it was only a piece of fruit that was stolen thousands of years ago.

ok, confession, I had a bike (Yamaha Roadstar 1600) that I had attached some Vance and Hines aftermarket pipes to. yes, it was loud, if I wanted it to be. That is, if I rode the bike hard (high revs, mind you high revs for that thing was about 4000RPM) it was loud, normal riding and it wasn't that big of an issue. I miss that bike.

Prejudices are what fools use for reason. Voltaire

12. Like button two dogs liked this post