Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imagine living in a society of Santa Clausians, what it feels like to be Atheist

Default Imagine living in a society of Santa Clausians, what it feels like to be Atheist

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/11/15/12016/649

The above is a great article.

Not sure what to say about it, but for anyone reading the board as a guest or stumbling across it in searches, I really recommend you read it. It's hard to explain to theists what the depth of pressure that is felt with atheists living in societies of religious dominance, and maybe the above can help you in some way see why many atheists act the way they do, whether that be silence and hiding in the midst of a world of fanaticism, speaking up with coherent arguments, or being emotional and just letting rip.

It's a world of oppression and madness, and I hope you read it and see something of what it's like for us, even if you are a 'god believer'.
    Spearthrower: "There are words like vacuous & cunt that are applicable."

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?

Default Re: Imagine living in a society of Santa Clausians, what it feels like to be Atheist

More religious people need to read that, if not for themselves but to at least understand our perspective. Great article. I don't really associate myself with that story because it never really occurred to me in that way that religion and god was all made up. It's like, you discover santa was not real all along and then you just move on. It was never a big deal for me, it's only been in recent years that I stopped being an apatheist and became an anti-theist.
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death - George Carlin (R.I.P.)

Default Re: Imagine living in a society of Santa Clausians, what it feels like to be Atheist

Thanks for the link Davo. What a great read!!!!

Took me awhile to find part 2. Here it is.
    "Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."
    - Frater Ravus

ahh sweet thanks Fiery!!

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?

That was a haunting and scary article.

I'm definitely sending god bashers to it in the future.
    "Man will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Jean Meslier.
    Kieran's Review.

Davo, do we really know there's no Santa? I think the fairest thing to do is teach the controversy. *snort*
    If you fail to meet the repayments on your exorcism...are you repossessed?

Of course there's a santa, just he works a lot differently than kids think :

Oh Davo, that's brilliant. Who'd a thought. Next Xmas I'm giving the fat dude a wink and a nod. The secrets safe with me.

this kids got it sorted ...

Quote davo said View Post
    this kids got it sorted ...

Davo, how could I get through the day without you providing a good laugh? Cheers to you