Thread: AUS: Inside Gay Conversion "Therapy"

Default AUS: Inside Gay Conversion "Therapy"

SMH

Conversion practices are hidden in evangelical churches and ministries, taking the form of exorcisms, prayer groups or counselling disguised as pastoral care.They’re also present in some religious schools or practised in the private offices of health professionals.

They’re pushed out through a thriving network of courses and mentors in the borderless world of cyberspace, cloaked in the terminology of “self improvement” or “spiritual healing”.

And they’re causing real harm.

Robert Williams remembers clearly the evening they tried to exorcise his demons.

An earnest married couple had met him at a suburban counselling centre run by CityLife, one of Melbourne’s largest pentecostal mega-churches.

They sat him down in a private room and began to pray: hands in the air, speaking in tongues, commanding the spirits.

Williams was 47, had been married for 20 years and was a devout Christian. He was also gay and “desperately didn’t want to be”. Struggling to reconcile his sexuality with his faith, he had turned to his pastor.

“The pastor basically said, ‘Yes, we can help you with that,’ and I ended up having six months of intensive weekly sessions that involved a lot of regression therapy,” Williams says.

“You’d have to re-live painful experiences from childhood and you’re forced to identify things that you’d done wrong in the past. It was pretty traumatic. I nearly always ended up in tears.”

The sessions usually took place in the evenings, shortly after 7pm. During the day, if Williams ever had sexual thoughts about men, he was to flick an elastic band on his wrist – an aversion technique. If he found himself sexually aroused in his sleep, he was to get up immediately and have a cold shower. Nothing worked.
    Guilt the fuck out of 'em, literally.

At least the poor bloke's libido put up a fight.

More@Source. May cause anger, despair, and a desire to tar and feather conversion exponents.
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

2. Thank button Logic please thanked this post

Default Re: AUS: Inside Gay Conversion "Therapy"

Wow i didnt realize they did conversion "therapy" in australia, all the more reason to stop giving churches so much leeway since clearly they can't be trusted to not casually mind fuck some poor person given the chance.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

4. Thank button Logic please thanked this post