Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SYD: 'danger spots' for women mapped with new online tool

Default SYD: 'danger spots' for women mapped with new online tool

ABC

Map delivers 'surprising results'The director of the XYX Lab at Monash University and lead researcher on the project, Dr Nicole Kalms, said it delivered surprising results.

"What we would normally think of as unsafe spaces, such as dark laneways or being out on a Saturday night, were really not the kinds of experiences that women and girls wanted to share," she said.

"What we discovered was that women and girls were having bad experiences in really busy places ó so places like public transport, or retail districts Ö they were really experiencing a lot of sexual harassment and sexual assault."

Dr Kalms said she expected the results of the Sydney map study would vary from the Melbourne study, due to the differences in each city's geographical layout.

"One of the main things that's different in Sydney is that it's not just a central city. It's a whole, four or five decentralised cities," she said.

As a result of the Melbourne study, Plan International Australia is now working with Metro trains to try and make trains safer for young women.

The organisation is also talking to the police and local councils about its results.

The findings of the six-week Sydney survey will also be shared with local authorities and businesses in an attempt to encourage them to make modifications to spaces deemed unsafe.

More@Source
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

2. Like button Logic please liked this post
    Thank button wolty, 142857, Logic please thanked this post

Default Re: SYD: 'danger spots' for women mapped with new online tool

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    ABC

More@Source
    One would hope they intend to make streets and trains safe for ALL women, not just the young ones?
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

4. Thank button knowledge is power thanked this post

@Pup: The app itself would probably be aimed at that demographic. My mother-in-law, for example, is not much of a smartphone person, though she iPads at home.

Hopefully the safety benefit flows to all.
    EJB

I still disagree. Too many computer-type thingies are designed with only young people in mind. The demographic designers should have in mind is 100% of all human beanz. It s both lazy and elitist to just assume it will only be of use to a certain demographic.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

Well. I hope it's okay to look at the most-endangered ones and start there without waiting till all others can be included.
    EJB

8. Like button two dogs, 142857 liked this post
    Thank button Darwinsbulldog thanked this post

Just kick 'em in the groin at the first hint of a sideways glance.

But seriously this is a great idea.
    ďIt's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.Ē ― Warsan shire
    ďHuman beings have rights and are entitled to respect. Ideas, books, and beliefs donít, and arenít.Ē ― Ali A Rizvi

10. Thank button Logic please thanked this post

Sure, of course, I just don't like "targeting" or "profiling". It seems like a smart thing to do, and perhaps it sometimes is. But the down side is people falling through the cracks. At the risk of stating the obvious, eight year old and eighty year olds get sexually assaulted too.

So. more needs to be done. Hopefully the groundwork of the newly-released app will be of use in other projects.

The team must be encouraged to do more.
    EJB

13. Like button Darwinsbulldog liked this post

Quote Darwinsbulldog said View Post
    Sure, of course, I just don't like "targeting" or "profiling". It seems like a smart thing to do, and perhaps it sometimes is. But the down side is people falling through the cracks. At the risk of stating the obvious, eight year old and eighty year olds get sexually assaulted too.
    ETA: It will not stop the crime, it will just shift the demographic. All very well for people to install better locks on their houses, but thieves just go and rob houses less secure. The predators will just shift their targeting. That is why I think it is dumb. I agree with the sentiment/intentions, but........

Complicated, Pup.

Does one do nothing, or abandon locking the door?

What are the smart people doing?
    EJB