Thread: Request password change captcha broken

Default Request password change captcha broken

Asking for a friend.... well a wife... the form for changing passwords includes an out of date captcha form which just says reCAPTCHA v1 is shut down.

Default Re: Request password change captcha broken

Quote virphen said View Post
    Asking for a friend.... well a wife... the form for changing passwords includes an out of date captcha form which just says reCAPTCHA v1 is shut down.
    That's quite strange, since, as far as I can tell, CAPTCHA isn't implemented on the forums.

Having said that, I've recently (before the update) received a similar "complaint".

It can probably be resolved by me sending a password update email to the account in question (PM me with the username, if you like).

However, before I do that, could you provide me with some screenshots, which may help me figure out why this is happening?

Julian
    "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ..."

"
    Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
    Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I reproduced the issue on my laptop by logging out and deliberately mis-entering my password. That takes me to the page shown in the first screenshot. Using the link I have tried to highlight in red takes me to the 2nd screenshot.

afapw1.png
    afapw2.jpg

Hope that helps.

4. Thank button two dogs thanked this post

Thanks! Looking into it!
    "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ..."

"
    Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Just a little update - I had her try using the link and just ignore the captcha and it still worked - so it's just a sort of confusing cosmetic issue.

7. Thank button two dogs thanked this post

@Virphen: Tried clearing the cache on your browser, or even using another browser, to see if problem replicates?

Mr Dogs has found it.
    Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 16th April 2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: overtaken by events
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

Thanks!

CAPTCHA was indeed activated at high level, but as far as I could see, that setting had been overriden at lower levels.

It seems that the password reset thingy wasn't one of the things that could be overridden.

When I attempted to disable it at the high level in the Human Verification Options in the Admin Control Panel, my change wouldn't "stick". That's probably why it was overridden!

I've updated the setting in the MySQL database directly, and it now shows as Disabled in the Admin Control Panel.

My testing since doing that seems to indicate that one will now be simply asked for the email address used to register the account.

Julian

"

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

10. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
    Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post