Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Scheduled forum outrage - Monday 16th April 2018

Loki is offline You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime Moderator

Default Re: Scheduled forum outrage - Monday 16th April 2018

Quote two dogs said View Post
    Quote Loki said View Post
    I find the interface cluttered and difficult to read, reminds me of forums circa 2010.

The banninator still smites a treat tho
    I don’t find it much different to the previous version? Just a few menu items have been moved?

Sorry, there’s no going back.
    Wasn't suggesting otherwise.

You have enough to do without trying to reverse engineer VB to suit my sensibilities. That's VB's issue
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."Philip K. Dick

2. Thank button two dogs thanked this post

Should anyone find a commercial, supported, vBulletin V4 theme that they like, and are willing to pay for it, I'd be happy to implement it.

It (or they, if there's more than one) would be selectable, by everyone, via a drop-down menu in the bar at the bottom of the page.

A quick Google search for "vBulletin V4 themes" brings up sites like http://vbstyles.com and http://themeforest.net

Julian
    "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ..."

"
    Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
    Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

4. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post

It has only taken me a few days to warm to the new format. Thanks for the hard work you put in.
    The meaning of your life, is what you choose to make it.

6. Thank button two dogs thanked this post

The default vBulletin 4 style is now available for selection in the footer (it can also be set via Settings -> General Settings -> Miscellaneous Options -> Forum Skin).

The only change I've made is replacing the vBulletin logo with the AFA logo (in which I've changed the text from the darker to the lighter of the two blues, to make it stand out better against the default header background).

Julian
    "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; ..."

"
    Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

8. Thank button wolty, The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post

Is anyone else getting a lot of "The Server is too busy" messages when trying to view posts, search or post?

10. Like button knowledge is power liked this post
    Thank button Blue Lightning thanked this post

Yes, I checked from a number of access points, and can confirm it was the server, not us.

However, it seems the Duck is paddling again, thanks to Mr Dogs and the Machine Elves.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

12. Like button Blue Lightning liked this post

Quote cyclist said View Post
    Is anyone else getting a lot of "The Server is too busy" messages when trying to view posts, search or post?
    Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Yes, I checked from a number of access points, and can confirm it was the server, not us.

However, it seems the Duck is paddling again, thanks to Mr Dogs and the Machine Elves.
    I've not encountered this problem, but I'll look into it.

"

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Quote two dogs said View Post
    Quote cyclist said View Post
    Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

I've not encountered this problem, but I'll look into it.
    I can't see what could be causing this. I have however noticed that the nightly backups have hung.

I'm going to do a quick reboot at 9:00am, so I'd advise everyone to not be creating/editing a post at that time.

Julian

"

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

There were a bunch of "Guests" with IP addresses in the 128.199.x.x range (which appear to originate from Singapore) which were often flogging the crap out of the webserver process. They may have been a Search Spider, but didn't identify themselves as such. I've now blocked all IP addresses in that range from accessing the webserver. That may have been a little heavy-handed, as it's unlikely that all addresses in that range were behaving badly. I'll go through the logs later and see if I can narrow down the IP address range.

I've also blocked the Baidu Spider from indexing the site, as it had too many spiders running for my liking, and I don't think we'll miss much by not having our site indexed on Chinese search engines.

I'll now keep my eye out for other suspicious-looking Guests.

The CPU usage has dropped dramatically since I did the blocking mid-afternoon yesterday.

CPU Usage.JPG

The date/time on that graph is UTC; those sharp peaks correspond to backups and other admistrative stuff that's done in the wee hours.

I hope you all find, as I do, that the responses are quite flash now!

Julian

"

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

16. Like button Loki liked this post
    Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post