Thread: When mental illness forces deconversion

Default When mental illness forces deconversion

Linky to a Reddit article

In part:
    My husband had never suffered from mental illness prior to the events Iím about to describe. After seeing a faith healer at one of our services (a first for our church), something was triggered in him and he began suffering hallucinations and delusions and ended up hospitalized. It was all religious in nature. I had to hide our bibles because it was a major trigger for him. Most people said it was a spiritual attack while others said it was a gift that he just needed to fine tune. One church friend suggested that god had revealed himself to my husband and his glory was so great that it drove him insane (yeah Iím fucking serious).

After years of therapy and meds and leaving the church, he is doing awesome. However, anything religious will trigger him.
    The whole thing's worth reading.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

2. Thank button knowledge is power, Strato thanked this post

Default Re: When mental illness forces deconversion

:-(

PTSD?
    "Faith: not wanting to know what is true" - Nietzsche

ďReligion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.Ē - Mikhail Bakunin

Wow. So not just an excuse to get out of going to church?
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Quote DanDare said View Post
    Wow. So not just an excuse to get out of going to church?
    I've seen, first-hand, a few cases of people becoming unwound in fundagelical church environments , and those surrounding them treating it as "a move of god".

My own trip into the charismatic movement was part of a breakdown, and being among the happy-clapping hand-wavers impeded my recovery considerably.

While I now intensely dislike seeing or hearing holy-spirit-wibble gatherings now, I am unsure as to how I'd cope in the middle of one on a bad day.

Q: Does yelling "Get the fuck off me!" and trying to throw off those who are laying on hands count as demonic manifestation?
    Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 6th April 2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: clarity - moved clause closer to its subject
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

You could lay legitimate charges of assault although of course there were no witnesses.

You could pretend to be aroused and then they'd stop.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

Religious Trauma Syndrome.
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.