Thread: Nasal Delivery of Ketamine: Side Effects Halt Trial

Default Nasal Delivery of Ketamine: Side Effects Halt Trial

People using medications to assist in dealing with aspects of brain chemistry will be aware that sometimes unwanted side-effects are part of the deal.

Depression researchers stop ketamine nasal spray trial because of psychotic-like effects
    Depression researchers at Black Dog Institute and University of NSW had to abort a "promising" pilot trial into the efficacy of ketamine nasal sprays after patients experienced psychotic-like effects and temporary loss of fine motor skills.

The researchers were hopeful the trial would work as an earlier study in the US had shown ketamine - an anaesthetic drug shown to have rapid antidepressant effects - could be safely delivered using a nasal spray.

But in a paper published in the latest Journal of Psychopharmacology, the research team, led by Professor Colleen Loo, said they had to stop the trial at five participants with severe depression (they were aiming for 10) because of unexpected side effects - their blood pressure shot up, they became uncoordinated and they suffered "unpleasant" psychotic-like effects.
    More detail@source.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

Default Re: Nasal Delivery of Ketamine: Side Effects Halt Trial

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    People using medications to assist in dealing with aspects of brain chemistry will be aware that sometimes unwanted side-effects are part of the deal.

Depression researchers stop ketamine nasal spray trial because of psychotic-like effects

More detail@source.
    Damn! A pity.
    Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.

I signed up for this very trial. I changed my mind before it went ahead. Lucky for me.
    I hope it is not abandoned altogether though.
    ďIt's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.Ē ― Warsan shire
    ďHuman beings have rights and are entitled to respect. Ideas, books, and beliefs donít, and arenít.Ē ― Ali A Rizvi

4. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post

@KiP: Some other means will be sought, and eventually a good one will turn up.
    EJB

Iím not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

6. Thank button knowledge is power thanked this post