Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Legalise Cannabis

Default Legalise Cannabis

Rather than reanimate this 2013 thread i'm going to start another on the topic given recent developments in the US.

With recreational cannabis now legal in California, and Canada looking like its going to follow suit, its high time (sorry) that the debate is relit (i can't help myself) in Australia again.

The Guardian Australia has happily started a 'cannabis for grownups' column. A snip from todays first piece:

....Among other things, cannabis can be fun, and in some patients it relieves certain kinds of suffering. In the US, legalization is an important victory for criminal justice reform, and racist “war on drugs” tactics which continue to ruin many lives.

For that reason and many more, marijuana needs to be taken seriously, even though it can make people act goofy.

With legalization, many more people will spend much more of their time high. It will have profound consequences for how adults relax, yes, but also how they date, parent and work. Already, seniors are the fastest growing group of users in the US....
    So i've had a bit of a thunk on it and here's my list of societal goods linked to recreational legalisation which have nothing to do with the various medicinal benefits because we are well on the way to the full legalisation of medical marijuana.

1. Freeing up of police time wasted on petty possession arrests.
    2. The creation of a whole new industry employing growers, manufacturers, sales staff, transport workers etc.
    3. Tax revenue and licensing fees.
    4. Reduction in alcohol consumption and its attendant risks such as violence and risk taking behaviour, especially in cars. Not to mention the impact of alcohol abuse on emergency services and hospitals. (Although the evidence linking lagalisation and a reduction in alcohol consumption is mixed, at this stage)
    5. Improved productivity given how debilitating a force 10 hangover from too much booze is compared to getting stoned the night before.
    6. It's fun.
    7. Soft health benefits. Some strains of cannabis are designed to induce sleep, good for insomnia. Stress reduction, anxiety reduction (for some) and it can be good for sex, laughter and general merriment.

Against that we have the negative health impacts, mostly associated with mental illness. However, this is a serious concern that exists regardless of the legal status of cannabis. It may be that legalisation prompts wider research into improving mental health outcomes associated with cannabis use.

And then there is logic and legislative consistency.

Alcohol and tobacco smoking, both legal, produce some terrible health outcomes over the long term. Cannabis, and remembering that one doesn't have to 'smoke' the product, is arguably a much more benign option in regard to its impact on the body.

Of course i'm not saying anything that anyone here hasnt heard before, or even discussed on this forum but its a bit of a no-brainer to me, like marriage equality. Perhaps Malcolm could run a survey? Do you want to party? Yes or no. Anyway, that's my case but i have very little hope. Given that you can't buy liquid nicotine here and you can't take a bicycle ride down the road without a fucking helmet on i fear that our conservative public health lobby will continue to stamp on the future until it punches them in the face, which will likely be decades away. Still, I'm going to keep promoting the issue because its right, in my mind, to do so.
    Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Default Re: Legalise Cannabis

I think we will be one of the last western countries to get around to this, we seem to be very conservative by nature and only move when all our major comparative countries already have. See marriage equality.

NZ are having a referendum on this with their next election so they will be next off the bat, then maybe UK?

The very least we should do is be consistent with decriminalisation laws for possession and one plant cultivation, as SA and ACT had pushed ahead on. Though I think SA moved back on the growing single plant matter and only ACT dishes out a small fine for that these days.

Considering 1 million Australians used it in the last year, 750,000 in the last week (according to institute of health), facing up to reality rather than criminalising all those people makes sense IMHO.
    Last edited by joele; 2nd January 2018 at 12:24 PM.
    "Faith: not wanting to know what is true" - Nietzsche

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin

I do not know if it is true but I have heard that a significant proportion of the USA's prison population first ended up there because of petty Marijuana offences.
    I know that if and when I lose my licence to drive I will be on a steady diet of hash cookies.
    The meaning of your life, is what you choose to make it.

Quote bruce1937 said View Post
    I do not know if it is true but I have heard that a significant proportion of the USA's prison population first ended up there because of petty Marijuana offences.
    I know that if and when I lose my licence to drive I will be on a steady diet of hash cookies.
    Me too
    Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I now know someone who lost their licence from a roadside drug test in Victoria, they claim they smoked some joints three days before the test (being caught driving). I've heard multiple reports of this happening though previously all second/third hand.

Seems amazing to me they would choose a test so sensitive but I guess it is another way to earn money and punish people for what they do in their own time.

P.S. There are more accurate tests that are used in America, but I guess our government has an ideological axe up grind and desire to criminalise people.
    Last edited by joele; 2nd January 2018 at 01:31 PM.

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin

Loki is offline You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime Moderator

Quote joele said View Post
    I now know someone who lost their licence from a roadside drug test in Victoria, they claim they smoked some joints three days before the test (being caught driving). I've heard multiple reports of this happening though previously all second/third hand.

Seems amazing to me they would choose a test so sensitive but I guess it is another way to earn money and punish people for what they do in their own time.
    TBF I don't think there is a test that correlates to impairment as there is with alcohol.

Not that that excuses the application of inappropriate tests.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."Philip K. Dick

Quote Loki said View Post
    TBF I don't think there is a test that correlates to impairment as there is with alcohol.

Not that that excuses the application of inappropriate tests.
    That is the same for alcohol, they don't test an individuals impairment they just have to choose an arbitrary blood level, though it doesn't get you a day after all alcohol has left your system unlike this one does testing for thc metabolites not thc itself.

There are more fair tests that tell them if you had some in the last 4-6 hours as used in some American states, here they chose more sensitive options looking for trace levels of metabolites rather than thc itself, that don't have a consistent clearance time, and are not indicative of impairment.
    Last edited by joele; 2nd January 2018 at 02:36 PM.

8. Like button Strato liked this post

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...28?pfmredir=sm

Lismore magistrate David Heilpern yesterday found Joseph Ross Carrall not guilty of driving with an illicit drug in his blood because he mistakenly believed that he would no longer test positive to the drug.

Mr Carrall was pulled over for random drug tests in May and June last year.

When he was tested in May, he said the police officer told him he should wait at least a week after smoking cannabis before driving.

Mr Carrall said he relied on this advice when, in June, he waited nine days after smoking cannabis before he got behind the wheel.

When he was pulled over again, traces of THC were detected in his saliva and he was arrested and charged.
    Of course the article is slightly misleading as they didn't test for thc at all but a metabolite.
    Last edited by joele; 2nd January 2018 at 02:37 PM.

10. Like button Loki liked this post
    Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post

Interestingly the NSW government site claims you are safe after 12 hours from their test but clearly the officer and magistrate thought otherwise. I guess the moral of the story is to go court?

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...20?pfmredir=sm

A magistrate has launched a blistering attack on the New South Wales Government's roadside drug testing regime, challenging the accuracy of its claims that cannabis can only be detected in a person's saliva for up to 12 hours.

In a judgement on Monday, Lismore magistrate David Heilpern said he had heard hundreds of cases over the past few months in which drivers said they had waited days, sometimes weeks, after smoking cannabis before driving.

Yet they had still tested positive to cannabis and been charged with the offence of driving with an illicit drug in their blood.

"In the vast majority of cases the time frame has been over 12 hours," Mr Heilpern said.

"On not one occasion has the prosecution cavilled with this contention."

Mr Heilpern said the prosecution had also remained silent when people claimed they had tested positive to cannabis after consuming the drug by passive smoking, eating hemp seeds, rubbing hemp balm or taking medicinal tincture.

"The prosecution have remained silent when people claim that they consumed cannabis weeks prior," he said.

"Not once has any scientific evidence been produced to this court that supports the contention that the final or any other test only works for 12 hours.

"It could be that every single one of those defendants are lying to the police. However, on balance, I find that this is unlikely."
    Last edited by joele; 2nd January 2018 at 02:48 PM.

Pip, I'm glad that you were straight up about the mental health issues.

On balance I'm pro-legalisation, but more research is needed on the related mental health issues.

My house is reputedly haunted by a stoner who rented from the previous owner, turned the garage into a hydroponic plantation, got paranoid and hung himself in the garage among his plants.

I've seen family, friends and work colleagues develop mental health issues due to heavy long-term use. But people who are going to use the stuff heavily are going to get their hands on it regardless of legality.