Thread: Perhaps I'm Stoic

Default Perhaps I'm Stoic

LINKY

What the Stoics did for us
    Could a 2,300-year-old Graeco-Roman philosophy be the key to a happy 21st-century life?
    According to the metaphor, a life worth living is like a fenced garden: the fence itself is logic, as it guards the inside from weeds and other noxious things; the nurturing soil is the physics, since it informs us on how to navigate the world to the best of our *abilities; and the fruits are the ethics, resulting in a eudaimonic (happy or flourishing) life, the sort of life that one looks back to on her death bed and thinks, “Yup, that was pretty well done.”

This means that Stoic theory embraces the humanist emphasis on an ethical life, but also directly justifies our interests in both metaphysics and natural sciences (“physics”) as well as philosophy and social science (“logic”). They all come together in a satisfyingly coherent package.
    ...the dichotomy of control, and it can change your life, for the better. Here is how Epictetus puts it in his Enchiridion (a sort of Stoic manual): “Some things are within our power, while others are not. Within our power are opinion, motivation, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever is of our own doing; not within our power are our body, our property, reputation, office, and, in a word, whatever is not of our own doing.”
    See you in the stoa, Colleagues.
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

2. Like button odd liked this post
    Thank button odd, Strato thanked this post

Default Re: Perhaps I'm Stoic

There were quite a few Stoic writers and philosophers in antiquity. Among them was the Roman statesman Seneca. A letter exchange between Seneca and Paul was forged by the Christians in the 4th century.

Whoever authored and assembled the new testament imported a great many Stoic aphorisms - they harvested the wisdom literature of the age.

According to Bruno Bauer,

"The writer of Mark's gospel was "an Italian, at home both in Rome and Alexandria";
    that of Matthew's gospel "a Roman, nourished by the spirit of Seneca";
    Christianity is essentially "Stoicism triumphant in a Jewish garb."
    "It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth." ... Emperor Julian (362 CE)

4. 7th December 2017, 09:40 PM

Reason
    duplicate

Quote Kookaburra Jack said View Post
    There were quite a few Stoic writers and philosophers in antiquity. Among them was the Roman statesman Seneca. A letter exchange between Seneca and Paul was forged by the Christians in the 4th century.

Whoever authored and assembled the new testament imported a great many Stoic aphorisms - they harvested the wisdom literature of the age.

According to Bruno Bauer,

"The writer of Mark's gospel was "an Italian, at home both in Rome and Alexandria";
    that of Matthew's gospel "a Roman, nourished by the spirit of Seneca";
    Christianity is essentially "Stoicism triumphant in a Jewish garb."
    Here's the Wikipedia link you might have included, from which you quoted.

Interesting chap!
    Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 7th December 2017 at 09:52 PM.
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

Stoicism is the best philosophy of life that I have found so far. Like a lot of things, I wish I had studied it a lot earlier in life. It's strong roots in physics and logic make it easy to modernize and it's use in developing CBT and other modern psychological practices is testament to it's ability to help develop a strong mind.

And if you don't want to read the old texts or the modern takes on it, there is always some comedy!

7. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

Indeed. He was one of the first writers to suggest the new testament was a fabrication, and that Jesus was invented. ("Stoicism in Jewish garb") Bruno Bauer wrote at an historical epoch when the power and influence of the heresy and blasphemy laws had relaxed. Prior to that anyone suggesting stuff like this in writing would need their head read.

He was one of the earliest "mythicists".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory#Bauer
    "It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth." ... Emperor Julian (362 CE)