Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Targetting religious tax exemption for secular business - Australia

Default Targetting religious tax exemption for secular business - Australia

“In Victoria, giant businesses avoid paying payroll and land taxes. They enjoy exemptions from stamp duty and don’t pay any rates to council, simply by claiming charitable status,’’ Chipp said. “This has gone on for too long. By removing the tax-free status of religious run businesses we would be able to pay for affordable aged care, better child care options for parents and much needed funding for state
    schools.”
    REASON’s founder, Fiona Patten MLC has long campaigned for the removal of “advancement of religion” as a basis for charitable status. “Let’s be clear here. We are not talking about the charitable works of Churches. We are talking about money-making machines such as Sanitarium, the breakfast cereal manufacturer, and Hillsong”, Patten said. “The recent census shows that Australians are less religious than ever and yet we still subsidise Churches to the tune of billions of dollars.”

REASON argues that not only do these businesses enjoy exemptions from Federal, State and local government taxes but they use their funds to campaign against issues that the majority of Australians support, such as voluntary assisted dying and same-sex marriage.
    Full article on Reason Blog. October 22, 2017
    "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Default Re: Targetting religious tax exemption for secular business - Australia

Go Reason!
    Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Sanitarium is owned by the Seventh Day Adventists?! How did I not know this?
    Goodbye Weet bix
    “It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” ― Warsan shire
    “Human beings have rights and are entitled to respect. Ideas, books, and beliefs don’t, and aren’t.” ― Ali A Rizvi

4. Laugh button The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post

Quote knowledge is power said View Post
    Sanitarium is owned by the Seventh Day Adventists?! How did I not know this?
    Goodbye Weet bix
    Kip, you knew this a year ago, according to linky.
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

D'oh! How quickly I forget these things!
    I need a list on my wall of brands to avoid for these reasons.
    “It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” ― Warsan shire
    “Human beings have rights and are entitled to respect. Ideas, books, and beliefs don’t, and aren’t.” ― Ali A Rizvi

7. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post

Quote knowledge is power said View Post
    D'oh! How quickly I forget these things!
    I need a list on my wall of brands to avoid for these reasons.
    Contributions please - I may compile a members-only spreadsheet.
    EJB

9. Laugh button DanDare laughed at this post

Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Yes please.

Coopers springs to mind, though not a religious organisation, anti SSM and includes bible verses on special six packs

Quote pipbarber said View Post
    Quote The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
    Yes please.

Coopers springs to mind, though not a religious organisation, anti SSM and includes bible verses on special six packs
    Well, how do we want to go about this - in this thread, giving name, location, and reason for nominating, or (probably more legally preferable) via PM?
    EJB

My initial thought would be in an afa members only section for legal reasons but i'll leave that for those more knowledgable on such matters than i am.

Quote pipbarber said View Post
    My initial thought would be in an afa members only section for legal reasons but i'll leave that for those more knowledgable on such matters than i am.
    Yep! Opening a discussion for members.
    EJB