Thread: 'New Atheists' has anyone ever met one?

Default 'New Atheists' has anyone ever met one?

New Atheists' has anyone ecer met one?
    Listening to James Carlton on the religion and ethics report, one could be forgiven for believing that there is such a movement
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

2. Like button Blue Lightning, hackenslash liked this post
    Laugh button The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post

Default Re: 'New Atheists' has anyone ecer met one?

Wasn't the difference that with New, as opposed to Old, you can hear them but can't burn them?
    EJB

Im not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

4. Like button Strato, wadaye, hackenslash liked this post
    Laugh button Strato, 142857, hackenslash laughed at this post
    Loki is offline You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime Moderator

Course there are more than a few worth mentioning who would likely disagree it's as new as all that:

Quote hl mencken said
    For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
    Quote samuel clemens said
    Faith is believing something you know ain't true.
    Quote robert ingersoll said
    “I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men.

I attack the monsters, the phantoms of imagination that have ruled the world. I attack slavery. I ask for room -- room for the human mind.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."Philip K. Dick

6. Thank button Blue Lightning thanked this post
    Laugh button 142857 laughed at this post

Quote wadaye said View Post
    New Atheists' has anyone ecer met one?
    Listening to James Carlton on the religion and ethics report, one could be forgiven for believing that there is such a movement
    Oh no they couldn't be forgiven. Instead the stocks for them.

Because what are they doing listening to that pointless wireless programme if they're so easily misled, the doofuses?

New Atheists Rule, OK?
    Wars begin in the minds of men.
    The UNESCO motto, in Enlightenment Now, the Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress, Steven Pinker, 2018.

Default Re: 'New Atheists' has anyone ever met one?

There are some very intelligent and prominent atheists who don't feel the need to talk about it all that much. I'm thinking of Neil degrasse Tyson and Chomsky off the top of my head. I don't think anyone classifies them as "new atheists".

I think of a new atheist as a more angry/uppity/dogmatic kind of secular humanist. Especially if they write books on the subject.

It seems to be more of a derogatory descriptor so i don't understand how it can be a movement
    "I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins

10. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato liked this post

The modern idea of organized Atheism has been around for a while. In the Victorian era, they started as Ethical Societies and Freethinking Societies. Most of the ideas they espoused have become mainstream, and no longer considered radical, but problems from 100 years ago are still familiar.

The 1903 book "Letters From an Atheist Nation" has content on religion in schools, evolution, and the status of women, that the "Old" Atheists had to deal with.

The New Atheists are writing books on science, psychology and morality rather than theology on why god is either dead or unneeded.
    The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god).
    ― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

12. Like button The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato liked this post