Thread: Purple Monkey

Default Purple Monkey

I got invited to a wedding in a church, probably because my girlfriend's friend from college needed to make up numbers. In the bit where we all recite stuff I got a bit lost and started mumbling waffle waffle bullshit verily and my girlfriend smiled with that stop that right now smile, so I doubled down with "purple monkey dishwasher" which was a Simpsons quote and my girlfriend cracked right up, because she knew me. I now feel a little bad at disrupting the ceremony but it was for me a classic moment.

2. Like button wolty liked this post

Default Re: Purple Monkey

Quote nugley said View Post
    I got invited to a wedding in a church, probably because my girlfriend's friend from college needed to make up numbers. In the bit where we all recite stuff I got a bit lost and started mumbling waffle waffle bullshit verily and my girlfriend smiled with that stop that right now smile, so I doubled down with "purple monkey dishwasher" which was a Simpsons quote and my girlfriend cracked right up, because she knew me. I now feel a little bad at disrupting the ceremony but it was for me a classic moment.

Why go if youíre just gonna take the piss out of someone elseís special day?
    Iím curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twisted Sister

The sudden laughter from up the back was a small distraction but you are right, and I was wrong many years ago. Now I practice the Gentle Art of Shut The F*** Up, appreciating that respect for art is different to respect for the religious frame, and ceremony is performance art, often done in churches. I married laughing girl at home in the garden in front of about seventy friends on April 1st, and maybe a quarter of them were surprised we actually did it and didn't just turn around and say 'April Fools!'

Quote nugley said View Post
    The sudden laughter from up the back was a small distraction but you are right, and I was wrong many years ago. Now I practice the Gentle Art of Shut The F*** Up, appreciating that respect for art is different to respect for the religious frame, and ceremony is performance art, often done in churches. I married laughing girl at home in the garden in front of about seventy friends on April 1st, and maybe a quarter of them were surprised we actually did it and didn't just turn around and say 'April Fools!'

Ceremony as performance art? This is a new take on it for me. I like it. I like it very much. Thanks.
    There is something about religious ceremony that is fascinating. I find it often beautiful when there in person, sometimes rather terrifying when you see the power it can have over people.
    But each to their own.
    Religious ceremony as performance art!
    I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twisted Sister