Thread: GERMANY (Historic): The Early 20th-Century ID Cards That Kept Trans People Safe

Default GERMANY (Historic): The Early 20th-Century ID Cards That Kept Trans People Safe

Linky - Longish, fascinating read about queerfolk and officialdom in early 20thC Germany, and onward into Nazi times.

Katharina T., a resident of Berlin in the early 20th century, had a deep voice and masculine appearance, and preferred to wear men’s clothing at home and in public. In 1908, they—there’s no record of which pronoun Katharina preferred—went to visit the sexual reformer and “sexologist” Magnus Hirschfeld, to apply for official documentation that would allow them to wear men’s clothing in public: a “transvestite pass.”

Perhaps dozens of these passes were granted by German police between 1909 and 1933, the year Adolf Hitler became chancellor. The term “transvestitism” at that time encompassed people of all gender identities, from those who occasionally wore men’s or women’s clothes on weekends, to those who today might well identify instead as transgender, a term that was not in common usage at the time. Cross-dressing individuals were vulnerable to arbitrary decisions of the police, usually according to how well they “passed.” While it wasn’t illegal to cross-dress, per se, the practice often led to charges of being a “public nuisance,” which could mean six weeks’ imprisonment or a fine of 150 marks—and police were “often keen to exercise their extensive regulatory powers,” writes historian Kate Caplan in “The Administration of Gender Identity in Nazi Germany,” a 2011 paper in History Workshop Journal.
    Much more@source. Well worth the time to read.
    EJB

I’m not one of the dead ones yet. - Ms Fishie.

2. Like button knowledge is power, 142857 liked this post
    Thank button Blue Lightning, LadyGreen thanked this post

Default Re: GERMANY (Historic): The Early 20th-Century ID Cards That Kept Trans People Safe

This article reminds me of 'Albert Nobbs' a good movie and a great performance by Glenn Close. I wonder if there was any recognition in Ireland of transgender individuals at the time?
    For a second I remembered wrongly that it was England, as it was so posh..
    “It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.” ― Warsan shire
    “Human beings have rights and are entitled to respect. Ideas, books, and beliefs don’t, and aren’t.” ― Ali A Rizvi

4. Thank button The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post